John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Does someone else find it kind of disrespectful to Powell the way this went? Going like: so, Mr. Powell, I'm so glad you agreed to score this film of mine. Now, meet your overlord John Williams. "Now, John, I know you are talented, but we both know you don't *really* know what to do here, so let me spot the film for you and write you some suites. And we'll record them with the orchestra, so that you, you know, really get it!" 

On 4/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, gkgyver said:

Does someone else find it kind of disrespectful to Powell the way this went? Going like: so, Mr. Powell, I'm so glad you agreed to score this film of mine. Now, meet your overlord John Williams. "Now, John, I know you are talented, but we both know you don't *really* know what to do here, so let me spot the film for you and write you some suites. And we'll record them with the orchestra, so that you, you know, really get it!" 

He worked together with a Williams already several times in the past.

I imagine he's used to it.

Might even like it, or he wouldn't have repeated the experience.

15 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

He worked together with a Williams already several times in the past.

On what projects? I thought Solo was their first collaboration.

6 hours ago, Luka said:

Can't wait to watch How to Train Your Dragon, as it will give me more Powell music to listen to! :D

Highly recommend Powell's Call of the Wild too, another fantastic score!

On 4/13/2020 at 3:48 PM, Tydirium said:

So do we know whether "Corellia Chase" is Powell and Batu Sener, or is it just Sener?

I've been wondering that myself. I'm inclined to think it's almost all Powell, and perhaps Sener just helped a little with arrangements. Because in this Facebook post of sheet music Powell strongly implies that it's his cue, not someone else's:

I feel like it'd be somewhat dishonest to so strongly imply it's his cue, if, in fact, it was mostly written by someone else. So I'm willing to assume Powell essentially wrote this cue himself, and the "additional music" credit or whatever it was for Sener was merely a generous tip of the hat for some arranging or orchestrating. 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Highly recommend Powell's Call of the Wild too, another fantastic score!

Don Williams? Harry Gregson Williams? 

2 hours ago, Will said:

I've been wondering that myself. I'm inclined to think it's almost all Powell, and perhaps Sener just helped a little with arrangements. Because in this Facebook post of sheet music Powell strongly implies that it's his cue, not someone else's:

I feel like it'd be somewhat dishonest to so strongly imply it's his cue, if, in fact, it was mostly written by someone else. So I'm willing to assume Powell essentially wrote this cue himself, and the "additional music" credit or whatever it was for Sener was merely a generous tip of the hat for some arranging or orchestrating. 

What I'm thinking is that maybe Powell wrote the cue but perhaps Sener handled any revisions to conform to changing cut etc? Or something like that?

Karol

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Hehe; I was a bit naughty there. I said "A" Williams.

And as @Arpy caught, I was referring to Harry Gregson-Williams. :P

Antz, Chicken Run(!) and Shrek are all pretty good.

And definitely collaboratively created scores.

I imagine the process between then might not have been too dissimilar to Solo.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

What I'm thinking is that maybe Powell wrote the cue but perhaps Sener handled any revisions to conform to changing cut etc? Or something like that?

That's what I thought too. As the video says, the cue has an insert due to a last minute change on the cut. Maybe Sener took care of this revision?

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm too tired to dig

I listened to this OST with headphones today, and noticed for the first time some weird, distant vocals over the beginning portion of track 17 Savareen Stand-Off.

What's that all about?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm too tired to dig

I listened to this OST with headphones today, and noticed for the first time some weird, distant vocals over the beginning portion of track 17 Savareen Stand-Off.

What's that all about?

Isn't that just like a wind machine or something?

Just like in Wrath of Khan "Surprise on Ceti Alpha"

• 3 months later...

Confirmation of what the "Savareen Tent" cue is! Not seen the film or listened to the score in a while, so not sure where exactly this is in the film, anyone know?

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

I don’t believe so, but here it is.

Seems to be missing a few cues which are listed online:

Yacht Party Source

Meet Dryden

Testing Dryden's Patience

Lando

Kessel Run Pt 3 - Liftoff

Beckett Leaves

Back to Dryden's

You Don't Know Everything

Beckett Showdown

Jungle Cantina Source

Sabacc Rematch

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

No, just the cue titles, which we have for every SW film.

I don't understand - how is this known then? :blink:

9 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

1M9 “Imperial March” is neither the version heard in the recruiting video (that’s “Imperial Theme - Edwardian Style”), nor the standard concert arrangement. It’s the later part of 2M4 “The Probe Scanner” from the Empire Strikes Back, but starting with the tracked Imperial March as heard in the film. Very odd!

7 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Seems pretty likely the complete sheet score could be out there

Ah yes, sheets. The other white meat...

11 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

I don't understand - how is this known then? :blink:

Wait, were you referring to the complete sheet scores, or the actual music itself? I assumed you were asking about recording sessions. :P

How do members on this board still act surprised and confused when someones posts a list of cues in a film score?  The sheet music for almost everything Hollywood puts out eventually leaks, why should Solo be any different

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

How do members on this board still act surprised and confused when someones posts a list of cues in a film score?  The sheet music for almost everything Hollywood puts out eventually leaks, why should Solo be any different

It's more the knowledge of what one of the cues contains that seems to be raising eyebrows. But then again, that would be in the sheet music anyway. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Because we now have information that we didn't have previously.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the ideal scenario for any recent score, really. The OST comes to CD, and then a digital expansion follows. Cannot express my excitement enough! The whole score *and* a previously unheard version of the original end credits!!! This is a great day indeed!

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

OH

My hope is that there's a purchase option for this.  I'm sure there will be, becase Disney loves money, but a few recent David Bowie live albums have been STREAMING ONLY.  So the phrase "to digital exclusive streaming" gives me pause...

I can't imagine it not being available for digital purchase.

I hope...

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody else amused that Powell's score gets an expanded release before Giacchino's score?

I am NOT amused, that it gets it before Williams´s sequel scores. But otherwise great news, IF it can be purchased. I do not intend to subscribe to a streaming service, although I may be swayed if it would be the only way for Williams complete Star Wars...