John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

This is a baby step unfortunately.  A digital purchase would be a big step for sure, but streaming?  Ugh.  I'm sure someone will figure out a way to capture it and put it out there for pirates to plunder LOL

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

OH

My hope is that there's a purchase option for this.  I'm sure there will be, becase Disney loves money, but a few recent David Bowie live albums have been STREAMING ONLY.  So the phrase "to digital exclusive streaming" gives me pause...

I guess this is how the Ep. I - IX will be made available when they're finally re-done.

he’s answering other questions in the comments too.  It will contain the DOTF bit and the film version of Chicken in the Pot, and its coming in November

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

What is that, a Coke bottle?  LOL

It is an artifact of my longest-running bit, which at this point is the only reason I haven’t deleted Facebook yet.  

25E25A64-044F-4569-95BE-24AC2D8CDDD7.jpeg

I only saw the film once; Is there a part of the film where Duel of the Fates plays?  Or is this something they recorded that went unused?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I only saw the film once; Is there a part of the film where Duel of the Fates plays?  Or is this something they recorded that went unused?

It plays under the Darth Maul part, pretty lowkey.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

When Kyra contacts Darth Maul. It's a very subdued rendition 

1 minute ago, Drew said:

As long as there's a lossless digital purchase option, take my money!

That! Given that no FYC or sessions ever leaked I'm super psyched for this one... one of my favourite scores of the last decade. Woo!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The album will always exist for those who love that presentation, but it's great the whole thing will also be available to the public as well

Every score should follow this release pattern

Agreed. It's great having a nice album presentation, but really great scores are well worth hearing in their entirety.

At the risk of being one of those "now we have X, hopefully we'll get Y" people... I do hope it leads to a HTTYD boxed set ;-)

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I didn't really follow the making of this score - was it recorded in London?  Or is Disney shelling out the exorbitant reuse fees for an LA score?

Powell's score was recorded in London (Abbey Road I think), just JW's theme recorded in LA.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I didn't really follow the making of this score - was it recorded in London?  Or is Disney shelling out the exorbitant reuse fees for an LA score?

The score was recorded in London yes, Abbey Road Studios except for "The Adventures Of Han" which was recorded in LA (Newman Scoring Stage).

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

JW recorded the theme arrangement and various demo cues in LA

Powell recorded the entire score in London, some of which integrates JW's compositions (via the written page, not the actual LA recordings)

So, the entire score from start the finish was recorded by Powell in London, but the big theme arrangement heard in the end credits and presented as track #1 on the OST was conducted by JW in LA

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

If Disney let this happen for Solo (even if it's possibly because Powell really wanted it), there is no way we don't get expanded releases of JW scores very soon.

pff

Let's hope that Disney doesn't use the LA musician royalty fees as an excuse to not release expansions of the JW and MG scores. Solo was the only new SW score recorded in London.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

"all cues" sounds very nice but big asshole labels like throwing falsehoods around for marketing fluff.

I got the impression that Powell typed the words in the announcement post, and that he produced the album himself, like his new Forces of Nature album

1 minute ago, PrayodiBA said:

Well, Powell said yes!

F3103E63-6F9E-46CB-B9E2-2EAF7611CD7D.jpeg

Cool!

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Let's hope that Disney doesn't use the LA musician royalty fees as an excuse to not release expansions of the JW and MG scores. Solo was the only new SW score recorded in London.

They could still do Episodes 1-6 anyway.

17 minutes ago, King Mark said:

pff

Be hopeful, it's coming!

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a blu-ray audio rip on YouTube you can listen to:

No, I'd prefer it if it was released yesterday! :lol:

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Anybody else who would have preferred it this was first announced on like, the Tuesday before it's Friday release, instead of 2 months ahead of release?

But yeah, I hate these waiting times too, especially when it's digital, I'm not willing to believe there's anything more to do on it .

And if it's still in the mixing/mastering phase, that shouldn't be so quantifiable. It sounds right when it sounds right, otherwise we get the Demasters etc.

It's nuts to me that this is happening with Solo right now when there are 9 pure Williams Star Wars scores begging for expansion (and remastering, in the OT's case). I'd be curious to know what factors have led them to release this first. In any case, it's very likely I'll buy it, partly for the enjoyment of the music and partly to show my support for future expanded Star Wars releases.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

And if it's still in the mixing/mastering phase, that shouldn't be so quantifiable. It sounds right when it sounds right, otherwise we get the Demasters etc.

It's a new score, so there should be no problems with the master elements.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Anybody else amused that Powell's score gets an expanded release before Giacchino's score?

Presumably this is cheaper for Disney, being a London (apart from the Williams bits) recording? A good way to test the market for expanded Star Wars releases without too much financial outlay.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Giachino supported expansions of this 3 Star Trek scores in roughly the same amount of time after their initial releases

I think this tied in with Paramount's desire to have as much Trek music released as possible.