John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

We should really be asking ourselves, does Williams want to see more of his music available? Or does he think the OST is more than enough? IF Williams wants, the expanded editions for the ST scores will happen someday.

Williams has approved tons of recent expanded releases and even asked Mike to do some (thinking of Dracula and Earthquake). There is no doubt he would appreciate expanded Star Wars releases with improved sound, as long as they are done properly.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

It makes sense to me why Solo might be first

• SW 1-6 = analog recordings, a producer with experience working on old elements needs to be involved
  • SW 7-9 = digital recordings, but billions of alternates for ever-changing cuts, plus recorded in LA so cost is a factor
  • Rogue One = digital recordings, can quickly assemble deluxe program, but recorded in LA so cost is a factor
  • Solo = digital recordings, can quickly assemble deluxe program, plus recorded in London so no re-use fees = easiest to make happen first

Fair enough. (I forgot that the PT was analog!)

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The prequel trilogy was presumably edited at the time digitally, but analog tape was running and that was the first gen master

Weren't both analogue and digital recorded simultaneously for those scores, so there's both analogue and digital first gen masters?

I'm not on Instagram, but has anyone (or can anyone) asked John Powell if there is a CD release coming for this as well?  

Also, has anyone reached out to Giacchino on social media with this news to possibly encourage him to push for a deluxe edition for Rogue One?

Jupiter Ascending had three different sets of recording sessions

1. the original suites before they filmed the movie, conducted by Ludwig Wicki at Abbey Road
  2. the original score cues for edited footage, conducted by Robert Ziegler at Abbey Road
  3. a final round of inserts, revisions, patches, and additional cues, conducted by Tim Simonec with union musicians at the Newman Scoring Stage in LA

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

I guess the possibility of a limited CD version is out?

Anything is possible, but this Deluxe Edition is certainly more likely to get a vinyl release than a compact disc one

Is this the future of film music anyhow, to have digital releases?

Yea

While this is very cool news, I would be really, REALLY disappointed if we can't buy the eventual Williams SW expansions physically.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

In fact, all of us must buy 10 copies each!

Depending on the platforms it's sold on, you might not even be able to buy it more than once per platform! (At least not without creating multiple accounts)

I think Disney Records releases their digital albums to all the digital music stores, including the ones that sell lossless files

Probably said somewhere before, but anybody reckon this is a testing of the waters for interest in expanded Star Wars scores? I'm getting that vibe from both this and JFO.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

While this is very cool news, I would be really, REALLY disappointed if we can't buy the eventual Williams SW expansions physically.

Same :(

2 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Probably said somewhere before, but anybody reckon this is a testing of the waters for interest in expanded Star Wars scores? I'm getting that vibe from both this and JFO.

I'm sure if this sells well, Disney Records would be more likely to fund expansions of other Star Wars scores than they were before

Well, I really liked this so this is a no brainer purchase for me. I can't wait to hear more of it!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As far as I know, the only Giacchino scores not recorded in the United States were Jupiter Ascending and Fallen Kingdom, which were both recorded in London (JWFK used Abbey Road, I guess).

Yes, according to the booklet, JWFK was recorded in Abbey Road.

I'm guessing success will be gauged by number of streams, and also profit from the inevitable $50 vinyl edition,and $150 vinyl super deluxe edition :p

I had a look in this resurrected thread as I assumed someone had revisited the score after a few years and had written some thoughts. What a nice surprise!

I haven't seen the film, so the album is all I need for now, but Powell's amazing in this mode, so I'll certainly give the complete score a listen. Couldn't care less about it only being digital - I think releasing it this way makes the release way more likely to happen.

Apart from Solo not being a universally liked film (I thought it was actually pretty good, although with some issues), I think the soundtrack for it is largely liked/loved within the soundtrack community. So here's hoping that will be enough to get some people to go after this. Plus, it DOES help that it features more Williams music. They should play that bit up a little more for the nerds like us. ;)

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I had a look in this resurrected thread as I assumed someone had revisited the score after a few years and had written some thoughts. What a nice surprise!

I stayed subscribed to it for this reason, but thought it would never happen!

Ecstatic about this news! Never thought Solo would be the first SW score to get an expansion under Walt Disney Records but I love the score and it's filled with unreleased highlights. I might ask him on Instagram if that beautiful horn cue at the end will be included.

I love that Powell himself is showing a newfound interest in producing score expansions (wonder if someone at LLL nudged him to look at Solo after he finished FON for them?) I guess, with everyone staying home and film scoring on hiatus, composers have free time on their hands to work on projects like this. Would love to see Powell tackle HTTYD with the labels next!

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah pure fluke that I checked this thread when I saw it bumped. @Jay what do you think about updating the thread title to mention the Deluxe Edition coming from WDR in November, for anyone who missed the news?

8 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

A reminder of some unreleased highlights, as per Holko. 

Couldn't see this cue listed in @Holko's list, but it's one of my favourite unreleased moments (and very Williams; wouldn't be surprised if it's a straight recording of one of his fully orchestrated cues):

A long time ago, Holko said:

Going to Hyperspace - glorious Han A with sleighbells

Probably the best of all the unreleased cues, partially included in the end credits (or maybe not, if that's a separate recording per Powell's comment?)

19 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

The credits cue is an edit in the film.

I'd love more context on this. So Powell wrote a legit credits suite and they hacked it up in the film/replaced it with tracked excerpts from the score proper, ala TLJ?

@BrotherSound vaguely recall you had some info about the sheet music on this score. Is there anything substantial we could ask Powell about, regarding unreleased or alternate cues?

Powell confirmed on Instagram that every track from the film is included. No word on bonuses/alternates.

Since Powell specifically chose to mention the end credits cue in the short announcement, it's clear to me that what we heard in the final film was not his original intentions, and now we'll get to hear that

Such great news! Only going from memory but the film credits were just a tracked combination of Mine Mission, Flying with Chewy and Lando's Closet (I think that last one had a film alternate too), after the prerequisite End Credits fanfare and reprise of Falcon to Hyperspace cue, that is.

Just now, crumbs said:

Only going from memory but the film credits were just a tracked combination

According to the online repertoires the end credits "Crawl" consists of 1M04-05 Corellia Chase, 2M13 Chewie Untamed, 4M28 Lando's Closet, and 4M30B Mines Pt.2: Finding Coaxium.

1 minute ago, CGCJ said:

According to the online repertoires the end credits "Crawl" consists of 1M04-05 Corellia Chase, 2M13 Chewie Untamed, 4M28 Lando's Closet, and 4M30B Mines Pt.2: Finding Coaxium.

Nice one! So the credits suite should be totally different material then (or at least, differently adapted material and hopefully a separate recording!)

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'd love more context on this. So Powell wrote a legit credits suite and they hacked it up in the film/replaced it with tracked excerpts from the score proper, ala TLJ?

@BrotherSound vaguely recall you had some info about the sheet music on this score. Is there anything substantial we could ask Powell about, regarding unreleased or alternate cues?

Powell confirmed on Instagram that every track from the film is included. No word on bonuses/alternates.

From Nate U(nderkuffler):

"As the guy who cut the end credits suite together from various score cues, this has me very intrigued as to what is meant by 'original unedited version of end credits suite' as there had never been talk of writing or recording an original end credits piece during the dub. If they use one of my earlier versions of the end credits, that would be certainly awesome, as I preferred those before various notes from various sources forced it to change! That is probably a long shot, but hey...maybe Powell has made a new edit for this release? Maybe there was even a written version of the end credits from before the final dub that I wasn't told about? Whatever the case, pretty cool.

N8"

50 minutes ago, Arpy said:

No CD :(

One should not rule out that Intrada might be able to make it happen.  They've done Marvel titles so why not Solo?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I think Disney Records releases their digital albums to all the digital music stores, including the ones that sell lossless files

They do.  Universal Music handles it.  If they provide an HD version to them, it will be on all the distributed 24 bit sites (HDT, Qobuz, Tidal, 7Digital, Amazon's new service).