John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Giacchino would have to not only push for Disney Records to be willing to release it at all, but also push for Disney Records to pay the expensive re-use fees for a 2 hour score recorded in LA.

This is something Powell did not have to worry about, because Solo was recorded in London.

There would be no reuse fees on any album selling less than 15K.  Also, streaming is forever.  There is another reason why bigger labels do this, the AFM does not count streams against the reuse payment threshold.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, publicist said:

Nobody suggested such bs, it's more like preemptive obedience, i. e. LLL will not risk raised eyebrows when they release a score everyone fears Williams has issues with. You guys often make mountains out of molehills, really.

100% agree.

An expanded Star Wars B movie soundtrack is announced, and instantly, everyone is taking it as a sign, expecting expanded releases to all 9 films, and talking themselves into reasons why this absolutely must be the case. 

Classic JWfan. 

16 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

One should not rule out that Intrada might be able to make it happen.  They've done Marvel titles so why not Solo?

True. Powell says no CD but Intrada might pick it up in a few years and add some bonus cues (as it seems there won't be bonuses/alternates included on the digital release, unless he changes his mind :()

10 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

There would be no reuse fees on any album selling less than 15K.  Also, streaming is forever.  There is another reason why bigger labels do this, the AFM does not count streams against the reuse payment threshold.

Wait, what? That's the first I'm hearing that LA fees don't apply if less than 15,000 physical units are sold?

36 minutes ago, BryonDavis said:

!!!!!

This is huge news

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

!!!!!

This is huge news

Yeah, that was probably even more noteworthy than the mention of 15,000 units not being subject to the fees.

If true, Disney could release the sequels/Rogue One digitally and not pay the reuse fees! Seems almost too good to be true...

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if that's why Trek 09 got a second release? That's only 1500 copies.

I've often wondered how those expansions were affordable, unless someone foot the exorbitant bill (maybe Giacchino himself).

Yea, why not just release a quick digital album of every finished cue its own own track about a year after the OST album for the fans to enjoy the cues they wan, for every score there ist.  There'd be nothing to lose according to this information.

Which makes me think there's gotta be more to it

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Which makes me think there's gotta be more to it

And the 'no fees under 15,000 units' doesn't seem right either, because various reps from the labels have repeatedly told us that anything post-2005 is prohibitively expensive and can't be expanded (Avatar springs to mind because the AFM refused to waive the fees; I think Intrada were trying to release that one?)

Also Mike gave an explanation about the fee structure and made no mention of exceptions or fee-free thresholds.

Here is Mike's post again

On 12/1/2019 at 12:31 PM, Jay said:

For AFM recordings made before July 3, 2005, NO reuse needs to be paid to the musicians at all, provided a) that it’s for a physical format release with a 5000 unit maximum, and b) that the musicians list is published, preferably in the packaging. For recordings made after that date, whatever the musicians were paid to record the score for the film has to be paid to them again, 100%. That’s why it’s called “reuse”. They were paid to play music for sync purposes, but an album is a new use.

So, hypothetically, if 120 people were paid $360,000 to record the music for the film (musicians, orchestrators, copyists, at an average of $3K a person), then a label would have to pay that exact same amount to AFM in order to put out an expanded album. That makes it impossible to consider even before you get to licensing, publishing, production and manufacturing.

The 2005 date was established in 2015 and applied to recordings going back 10 years prior, but unfortunately it was not a “sliding” date as it really should have been.

Mike

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

@BrotherSound vaguely recall you had some info about the sheet music on this score. Is there anything substantial we could ask Powell about, regarding unreleased or alternate cues?

The only thing in the sheet music leak for the end credits is just the standard opening bit, so I’m quite keen to see what the deal is here.

It sounds like alternates won’t be included, but there doesn’t seem to be any major revelations there: there’s quite a few inserts, but most of them are minor tweaks to instrumentation or minor additions or subtractions to accommodate the changes in the timing of the film as it was edited.

6 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

It sounds like alternates won’t be included, but there doesn’t seem to be any major revelations there: there’s quite a few inserts, but most of them are minor tweaks to instrumentation or minor additions or subtractions to accommodate the changes in the timing of the film as it was edited.

Good to hear there's nothing substantial then, otherwise I'd be bombarding him with comments asking for bonus tracks :P

Didn't you mention some type of wildly different Imperial March transition early in the film?

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't you mention some type of wildly different Imperial March transition early in the film?

Yeah, but it’s nothing you haven’t already heard: 1M9 Imperial March is the ‘Aboard the Executor’ cue from ESB, including the tracked imperial march statement. I think JKMS took this more or less straight from the LTP version. Imperial Theme - Edwardian Style (no slate) is the music heard in the commercial.

7 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Yeah, but it’s nothing you haven’t already heard: 1M9 Imperial March is the ‘Aboard the Executor’ cue from ESB, including the tracked imperial march statement. I think JKMS took this more or less straight from the LTP version. Imperial Theme - Edwardian Style (no slate) is the music heard in the commercial.

Good to know! Probably unlikely to be included if it's just a straight re-recording of JW music.

Looks like the tracklist & included music is still being finalised too but he's trying to keep it around 2 hours. Powell seems pretty engaged with fans, wonder if he'd consider including some inserts as bonus tracks if we specifically asked? Can never have too much Star Wars music... :music:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He hasn't even assembled this yet? Then why announce it? Weird. 

Maybe he's just excited to get his music out there and finally got the approval from Disney to announce it on his socials. Not sure what's so weird about that? It sounds like work is underway but they just haven't finalised what they're including yet. 

It's cool that Disney let the composer announce it directly to fans rather than a boring press release or something. 

43 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Screenshot from JP’s latest IG story:

I really love how JP seems to know and try to relate with filmmusic fans’s specific wishes and concerns, such as really long tracks and complete track title order.

It wont be surprising if Powell may have taken a look at this forum, FSM or filmtracks, to hear what we say.

18148FFF-4DF3-44D2-9ECF-D4B92B164616.jpeg

"+ there will be at least 4 tracks running 10+ min!"

Oh no. I can't think of any parts of the film that have 10 mins of music back to back. This concerns me it will be another Jedi Fallen Order scenario where lots of separate cues are joined together.

23 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Oh no. I can't think of any parts of the film that have 10 mins of music back to back. This concerns me it will be another Jedi Fallen Order scenario where lots of separate cues are joined together.

It's pretty standard for SW films to have cues written that overlap each other, but are separate on the OST. I haven't watched the film in a while but I would've thought the music is bubbling along for most of the runtime and designed to overlap?

Guess he's taking inspiration from the '97 SEs (can't say I loved those gigantic ROTJ tracks though).

28 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

God forbid!

What a tragic development!

Every Cue Seperate!😒

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

No CD :(

That's bad news but if there's a digital lossless option I'm happy enough. The better part is that this gives us (more) hope to get Deluxe editions of the prequels and sequels

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

God forbid!

What a tragic development!

Every Cue Seperate!😒

It immediately limits the choice of the listener. Someone may only want to program the middle section of a 10 minute track into their playlist. Why remove this option for them? If someone still wants to listen to the full thing, they can still do so even if the cues are separated.

3 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Or he went full Howard Shore and wrote a 30 min cue ;)

8 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

So do we know if this was recorded?

26 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

So do we know if this was recorded?

There is no way for any of us here to know what was recorded or not, unless it appeared in the film or on the OST

I guess in 2 months we'll find out exactly what was recorded

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is no way for any of us here to know what was recorded or not, unless it appeared in the film or on the OST

Someone could literally just ask Powell on Instagram if that cue was recorded and he would probably answer. :lol: I think he'd be pretty impressed if a fan asked such an obscure, specific question, actually.

And who knows, someone asking to hear a specific cue unused cue might might be the difference of whether he includes it or not. He's clearly engaged with fans and happy to answer questions (he responded to both of mine and they were obscure too).

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

People with OCD will always have something to complain about.

People who expect a release to conform exactly to their listening pattern will always complain.

We've gone from 'wow, a totally unexpected complete release!' to '... but he joined some tracks...'.

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Someone could literally just ask Powell on Instagram if that cue was recorded and he would probably answer. :lol: I think he'd be pretty impressed if a fan asked such an obscure, specific question, actually.

And who knows, someone asking to hear a specific cue unused cue might might be the difference of whether he includes it or not. He's clearly engaged with fans and happy to answer questions (he responded to both of mine and they were obscure too).

I dunno.... feels pretty weird to reference leaked sheet music to the composer himself....

I guess one of those 10+ minutes tracks is the Finale + End Credits. The others might be some cues joined together. 

I'm fine with it, to be honest, it shows that Powell is still worried with the "listening experience".

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno.... feels pretty weird to reference leaked sheet music to the composer himself....

Valid point.

Well, just ask on an anonymous account! :lol: