John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

8 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

"+ there will be at least 4 tracks running 10+ min!"

Oh no. I can't think of any parts of the film that have 10 mins of music back to back. This concerns me it will be another Jedi Fallen Order scenario where lots of separate cues are joined together.

That's the way all official expansions are. I can't think of a single expanded release where all the cues are separated; we certainly were never going to get something like that for any of the Star Wars films, especially since those cues are meant to segue into each other.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's the way all official expansions are. I can't think of a single expanded release where all the cues are separated; we certainly were never going to get something like that for any of the Star Wars films, especially since those cues are meant to segue into each other.

I suspect Mike would not repeat those lengthy combo tracks on the ROTJ SE, if he revisited that score. That sequencing is at odds with basically every modern expansion he's produced.

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Sometimes some are not joined because parts were released separately on the OST already and stuff like that, it definitely happens. Sometimes like with CE3K I don't mind at all because all tracks in the finale end and begin in a musically satisfying way, but when it's an obvious buildup to a transition point, then stop, silence for 5 seconds, then BAM action out of nowhere, that sucks. One concrete example I can think of off the top of my head is Meeting Aragog/The Spiders Attack in HP2. Or some of TLW.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

II can't think of a single expanded release where all the cues are separated

Jaws

Stanley and Iris

The River

2 hours ago, Holko said:

when it's an obvious buildup to a transition point, then stop, silence for 5 seconds, then BAM action out of nowhere, that sucks. 

The most egregious case of this ever is the Bouzeraeu Temple of Doom, with "Map / Out Of Fuel" leaving you hanging, you wait through a pause, then "Slalom on Mt Humol" resumes the action.  Williams' clearly intended these to play continuously, and any other producer would have joined them

Actually, on the same album "Indy Negotiates" and "The Night Club Brawl" have the same issue

As far as I remember I don't think any of the cues in Jaws were intended to overlap/be joined, so that's a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The most egregious case of this ever is the Bouzeraeu Temple of Doom, with "Map / Out Of Fuel" leaving you hanging, you wait through a pause, then "Slalom on My Humol" resumes the action.  Williams' clearly intended these to play continuously, and any other producer would have joined them

:banghead:

I'm so happy I wasn't that into... um... following and buying these official things around then. Not that I would have known where to look or buy stuff like the big expensive Indy Box. Thankfully I "grew up on" Fal's leak/rip collections edited properly.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jaws

Stanley and Iris

The River

The 1998 Close Encounters release

Those are shorter scores, so it's a bit different. Solo has, what, like almost 50 cues?

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I suspect Mike would not repeat those lengthy combo tracks on the ROTJ SE, if he revisited that score. That sequencing is at odds with basically every modern expansion he's produced.

Yeah the SE lengths were a bit extreme. I imagine 3 cues would probably be the absolute limit nowadays.

People keep also bringing up Jedi Fallen Order, but that's more of an anomaly considering it's a video game score and the music is meant to be really long.

I bought the Indy box set when it came out and it was my first collection of the OSTs. People shit on it all the time, but they aren't as dreadful as they're made out to be.

Oh yes they are. The SEs have been out for 11 years by then and were successful, why the hell would they follow the stupid Anthology model? And can't even get basic things like speed right...

The speed issues were definitely frustrating, along with all the totally lazy omissions (like the full end credits for ToD or rope bridge music, the circus sweetener in TLC, etc.) 

I guess it was still an improvement on what we had though. 

I was never a stickler for speed issues, as I was only 16 at the time and didn't know the scores as heard in the film vs. on album. Nowadays with time and more information I can see where the Concord set fails, but I still appreciate them.

2 hours ago, Jay said:
3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

II can't think of a single expanded release where all the cues are separated

The 1998 Close Encounters release

The Visitors/Bye/End Titles: The Special Edition (12:31)

16 hours ago, Jay said:

!!!!!

This is huge news

I have released many AFM scores of the last few years that allow you to sell up to 15k with no reuse. With a couple of big releases I've worked on AFM grants us no reuse for up to 15k on scores after a certain date (not remembering that date).  So I doubt Disney is going to pay reuse on anything under 15k for this expansion.

Although JP did say "un-edited", it looks like we are getting the film version inserts of cues. I asked if all the film inserts would be present (such as the film ending of Marauders Arrive") and he said yes.

I assumed that'd be the case anyway, but it's good to know for certain.

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

There's a fantastic cue as Han, Chewie and Beckett arrive at Dryden's yacht - I want this piece.

However, I don't want that to crossfade into Chicken In The Pot just because it might be like that in the film.

That doesn't count. Chicken in the Pot is source music, and film music is NEVER combined with source music in any official expansion.

2 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

1 track can be formed of many cues - this is and where I would want them to be joined together, as intended. They are recorded in parts due to complexity.

However, what I don't like is when several tracks with clear beginnings and endings are stuck together. You shouldn't stick "Journey To The Island" (which is probably several cues) and "Stalling Around" together just becuase they might slightly overlap in the film. They are clearly 2 entirely different tracks - the first is score, the second is effectively source music. I might include both in my own playlist, but it should be my choice.

That's an extreme example, but let me illustrate what I hope doesn't happen with Solo. 

There's a fantastic cue as Han, Chewie and Beckett arrive at Dryden's yacht - I want this piece.

However, I don't want that to crossfade into Chicken In The Pot just because it might be like that in the film.

Next up is a great cue when Han and Q'ira reunite - I do want this as well.

However I then probably don't want the following source cue etc.

That's an example of how to terribly do a 10 minute track, just because there might be no "gap" in the film. The opposite could be said of *the Temple of Doom boxset release - Indy Negotiates / The Nightclub Brawl / Fast Streets Of Shanghai should all be one big track because they're clearly written to have no clear beginning/end points. But at least I can edit those together should I want it to be like that, but I wouldn't be able to separate them. I can't understand why people don't want the option.

Not everybody has the tools.

I'd much rather a producer exercise editorial judgment- even if I disagree with his choices- than just put every cue on the CD( nothing personal Byron😉).

* i agree

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

film music is NEVER combined with source music in any official expansion.

The Phantom Menace

Capricorn One

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Phantom Menace

Capricorn One

Phantom Menace UE is an isolated score, that doesn't count. Let me rephrase: not never, almost never. Like likelihood of these two cues being combined is essentially 0.

2 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

1 track can be formed of many cues - this is and where I would want them to be joined together, as intended. They are recorded in parts due to complexity.

However, what I don't like is when several tracks with clear beginnings and endings are stuck together. You shouldn't stick "Journey To The Island" (which is probably several cues) and "Stalling Around" together just becuase they might slightly overlap in the film. They are clearly 2 entirely different tracks - the first is score, the second is effectively source music. I might include both in my own playlist, but it should be my choice.

That's an extreme example, but let me illustrate what I hope doesn't happen with Solo. 

Next up is a great cue when Han and Q'ira reunite - I do want this as well.

However I then probably don't want the following source cue etc.

That's an example of how to terribly do a 10 minute track, just because there might be no "gap" in the film. The opposite could be said of the Temple of Doom boxset release - Indy Negotiates / The Nightclub Brawl / Fast Streets Of Shanghai should all be one big track because they're clearly written to have no clear beginning/end points. But at least I can edit those together should I want it to be like that, but I wouldn't be able to separate them. I can't understand why people don't want the option.

I understand all of that totally. And I agree with you. I curate tons of my own custom edits and playlists for various scores. Ideally, I would also like the option, but I also understand at this point in my life, that it may not be the best listening experience to have some of these cues parted up. This isn't supposed to be like a recording session leak on an official level, it's still supposed to be an album I believe. That being said, since everything is going to be labeled with the slates (which I've seen very few official releases do) I don't think Powell will do any of the crossfading you're afraid of. 

I'm certainly not expecting score music to be blended into source cues, but it has happened before so you never know. I'm expecting that anything that was basically intended to go together and makes no sense to be split apart will be done that way.

I'm not worried a bit about the presentation or crossfading. I'm ecstatic to get anything like this so soon, so I'll be happy however it is.

I'm remaining optimistic that Powell isn't going to screw it up. I just don't want another experience like Jedi Fallen Order. The official album assembly is terrible, and only by having the gamerip as well has it been possible to put together an optimal album. I don't want to have to do the work, but I find many official albums are just not done to the standard I hope for.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:
1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

film music is NEVER combined with source music in any official expansion.

The Phantom Menace

Capricorn One

Star Wars SE

Yes, the Cantina Band pieces happen to be placed at the end of disc 1 (but before the bonus track), but that's still where they belong chronologically.

We're talking about a single track containing both source music and underscore in it overlapping each other, not titles where source music is programmed between underscore tracks, but still in its own track

If we were to list every album that does what you're talking about, we'd be here all day.  Heck, the new Robin Hood announced yesterday does that

Very interesting that Powell seems very open to releasing things complete, as HGW (his fellow Brit in L.A.) did an interview with Daniel Schweiger recently in which he didn't seem to feel they were necessary. (specifically, he pretty much felt that the 50 mins we have of Narnia was all we needed)

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

We're talking about a single track containing both source music and underscore in it overlapping each other, not titles where source music is programmed between underscore tracks, but still in its own track

Ah. I'll throw in Gandalf's singing in LOTR and Amazing Grace in Horner's TWOK then. ;) 

This does make me curious: given that we are basically getting a complete score here, does this mean whatever might've possibly been in trading circles will just suddenly pop up out of the blue? Given such a set would immediately be devalued by the existence of the DE. Of course, there's no knowing if it's even out there at all, but it could help with the assembly problems if the eventual album does have bad crossfades.

In any case, I'm as amazed of this release existing as with everyone else. I'm unfortunately not as into SW music as I so desperately want to be, but I can still congratulate everyone on having gotten a nice gift out of the woe this year has otherwise been.

7 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Don't think there's anything out there, I haven't seen anything at least.

I think he means deep in the bowels of collectordom. Not anything you'd be able to find on Squidboard or on Google.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think he means deep in the bowels of collectordom. Not anything you'd be able to find on Squidboard or on Google.

Oh, yeah I see. I always wonder what treasures are hidden deep down there. 

Sounds like all the source music will be included. Powell confirmed the major-key Imperial March music, the film version of Chicken in the Pot, the steel drums source music on Dryden's yacht, and the jungle drums from the end at Lando's hideout. Awesome!

I just hope they're presented uncut and not crossfaded into the film cues.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The Phantom Menace

Capricorn One

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

The Return of the King

You could argue that the segue from the folksy celebration music to the end credits in both of Return of the Jedi (particularly the original) and Willow (possibly even the throne room in Star Wars... are we meant to hear it as though it's diegetic or not?! Kinda hard to tell) mixes between source and score, but it would clearly be weird to have them as separate tracks.