John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

1 hour ago, BryonDavis said:

5000 is for scores before a date I cant quite remember. Pre 2005.  Anything after is 15k. I usually consult the union.

Digital rights usually stay with the studio. The fees vary for each release.

According to the Memorandum of Understanding 2015, the date was August 14, 2005. Apparently fees are waived for scores before that date (but I guess the 5,000 limit applies).

image.png

Just to clarify, when you say that limit went up to 15,000 after 2005, you're referring to CDs/mechanical rights, not digital/streaming sales?

Is that the reason Varese was able to expand Star Trek up to 6,500 units a few years back? No fees because the quantity stayed under 15,000 units.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If reuse fees don’t kick in until 15,000, there is literally no barrier to our labels expanding any score from the oughts onward.  I don’t think this is an issue of them missing a 0 while they read...

Definitely an 'interesting' development. I thought prohibitive union fees were the entire reason the labels couldn't expand JW's post-2005 scores? And I'm sure we heard something similar when Intrada tried to release Avatar (the AFM refused to waive their fees).

Maybe the fees vary depending on composer, studio, film, etc.

Mike Matessino has explicitly said as much, and MV from LLL has at least glanced at it in answers - Jay’s posted some of that above.  None of the labels make releases bigger than 5000 anymore, so in theory there would be no prohibitive cost to release an expansion and in fact the rules make it significantly less prohibitive than earlier scores?

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just to clarify, when you say that limit went up to 15,000 after 2005, you're referring to CDs/mechanical rights, not digital/streaming sales?

1 hour ago, BryonDavis said:

Streaming is unlimited. Paid downloads counts towards the limit before reuse kicks in.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Just happened to come across this relevant quote from MV of LLL Records

The studios don't grant download rights to us. I wish they did but they don't. Even if they did, for the afm scores it could lead to incredibly high union rates should a title sell more than 5k units

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=3&threadID=134366&archive=0

28 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If reuse fees don’t kick in until 15,000, there is literally no barrier to our labels expanding any score from the oughts onward.  I don’t think this is an issue of them missing a 0 while they read...

14 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Mike Matessino has explicitly said as much, and MV from LLL has at least glanced at it in answers - Jay’s posted some of that above.  None of the labels make releases bigger than 5000 anymore, so in theory there would be no prohibitive cost to release an expansion and in fact the rules make it significantly less prohibitive than earlier scores?

Exactly, I'm not sure what's missing here.  It seems like there might have been a game of Telephone, where these specialty label folks didn't actually read the documentation but had it explained to them by somebody who also had not read the documentation but had it explained to them by somebody who.... you get the idea.

This is the charitable interpretation that they were simply ignorant of the actual rules.

Or!  What are we missing?  Because obviously I haven't read the documentation either :lol:

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Or!  What are we missing?  Because obviously I haven't read the documentation either :lol:

Take one for the team and do it!

:)

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is the charitable interpretation that they were simply ignorant of the actual rules.

Never underestimate the power of ignorance!

I don't know why three different people in the same industry would post 3 different interpretations of what is going on.

To collect them all in one post and so everyone is on the same page, here are the 3 different posts

MV Gerhard (La-La Land) on FSM, Feb 25 2019:

"The studios don't grant download rights to us. I wish they did but they don't. Even if they did, for the afm scores it could lead to incredibly high union rates should a title sell more than 5k units"

Mike Matessino (independent producer) on JWFan, December 1 2019:

"For AFM recordings made before July 3, 2005, NO reuse needs to be paid to the musicians at all, provided a) that it’s for a physical format release with a 5000 unit maximum, and b) that the musicians list is published, preferably in the packaging. For recordings made after that date, whatever the musicians were paid to record the score for the film has to be paid to them again, 100%. That’s why it’s called “reuse”. They were paid to play music for sync purposes, but an album is a new use.

So, hypothetically, if 120 people were paid $360,000 to record the music for the film (musicians, orchestrators, copyists, at an average of $3K a person), then a label would have to pay that exact same amount to AFM in order to put out an expanded album. That makes it impossible to consider even before you get to licensing, publishing, production and manufacturing.

The 2005 date was established in 2015 and applied to recordings going back 10 years prior, but unfortunately it was not a “sliding” date as it really should have been.

Mike"

Bryon Davis (Varese & Note For Note) on JWFan:

Sep 22 2020:

"There would be no reuse fees on any album selling less than 15K.  Also, streaming is forever.  There is another reason why bigger labels do this, the AFM does not count streams against the reuse payment threshold."

Sep 23 2020:

"I have released many AFM scores of the last few years that allow you to sell up to 15k with no reuse. With a couple of big releases I've worked on AFM grants us no reuse for up to 15k on scores after a certain date (not remembering that date).  So I doubt Disney is going to pay reuse on anything under 15k for this expansion."

Sep 25 2020:

"Streaming is unlimited. Paid downloads counts towards the limit before reuse kicks in."

"5000 is for scores before a date I cant quite remember. Pre 2005.  Anything after is 15k. I usually consult the union.

Digital rights usually stay with the studio. The fees vary for each release."

"The only obstacle is the studio in some cases. 5k pre 2005. 15k post 2005.  AFM L.A. and NY recordings."

If someone can make heads or tails of this I'm all for it!

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sure they've done their due diligence on this one with the union... they probably deal with them on a weekly basis!

But reading the actual agreements, there's a lot of legal jargon (standard for these types of contracts) but I didn't see anything that lined up with the pervading view of reuse fees being the equivalent of paying the orchestra the same costs as the actual recording.

There were, as @BryonDavis pointed out, only references to fees not applying so long as units stayed beneath a 15,000 threshold. There's several mandates around the AFM logo on album artwork, and including a list of musicians who performed on the score (LLL Titanic springs to mind).

So I'm not really sure what to think! :folder:

Don't forget Mike Matessino has been officially assigned with doing every Williams/Spielberg expansion

The music business has evolved to the point where boutique label soundtrack reissues, which were not even blips on the radar years ago, are now big blips. After doing 1941 for La-La Land Records there were a series of conversations which ultimately led to new lines of communications opening and methodologies being put in place when we started Empire of the Sun and A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Working on adjusting the music and sound mix for Mr. Spielberg’s extended version of 1941 last year (and hosting the big screening event we did of it last March) helped solidify things. So a natural synergy just fell into place where I have been assigned to take care of all of the restorations and reissues and deal with all of the Williams & Spielberg approvals. The Back to the Future trilogy got added to the mix at the same time, as Bob Gale was spearheading that and as Alan Silvestri is represented by the same people as John Williams. So it’s become a process of working as part of a team where my job is to preserve the music and present it as definitely as possible and with the approval of the artists.

https://www.jwfan.com/?p=8269

Of course @Jay, I was only joking :P No one on JWFan wants anyone except Mike handling these scores (I doubt JW's team would authorize anyone else to handle them anyway).

Just curious having such divergent information from different labels. Hopefully just miscommunication somewhere in the chain; fingers crossed more post-2005 scores can be expanded, I'd love Tintin and Memoirs of a Geisha.

If anyone wants to do their own research around AFM agreements:

I believe all 4 links are relevant; the initial agreement plus 3 memorandums which add various clauses regarding digital rights and so forth.

Reading the three sets of quotes again,

MV & MM 's comments are in total agreement with each other: pre-2005 and under 5k pressed? Doable!  pre-2005 and over 5k pressed? Too expensive!

MM's comment then adds more info about post-2005: Too expensive, no matter how many pressed!

All good so far.

Then Bryon's comments muddy the waters.

According to him, the AFM actually made things EASIER for post-2005 scores, upping the limit from 5k to 15k... but doesn't specific a fee change tied to that date, only saying "fees vary for each release"

Now I MIGHT have figured out the discrepancy; Bryon can correct me if I'm wrong, but when he said "With a couple of big releases I've worked on AFM grants us no reuse for up to 15k on scores after a certain date", I assume that meant a FIRST RELEASE of a modern score, IE an OST album; I think when it comes to REVISITING a score that already had an OST album, THAT'S when these more expensive post-2005 fees kick in.

Just a theory

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Now I MIGHT have figured out the discrepancy; Bryon can correct me if I'm wrong, but when he said "With a couple of big releases I've worked on AFM grants us no reuse for up to 15k on scores after a certain date", I assume that meant a FIRST RELEASE of a modern score, IE an OST album; I think when it comes to REVISITING a score that already had an OST album, THAT'S when these more expensive post-2005 fees kick in.

Star Trek 2009... 5,000 unit first pressing followed by a 1,500 unit second pressing?

Unless the OST didn't sell more than 15,000 units or something convoluted like that. The OST was only 45 minutes, I wonder if that's a factor? There's references to thresholds of minutes in those agreements I linked above.

I remember someone posting online around the time that the 2009 OST album came out that it was only 45 minutes long because they knew it would sell more than 15,000 copies and that was some magic number of minutes from the AFM that would allow them to do that.  The gist of the post was that if it was longer than 45 minutes, after 15,000 were sold they'd literally have to either take it down from their website or pay a insurmountable fee to the AFM to keep it in print beyond that... but at under 45 minutes (it runs 44:54), they could sell more than 15,000 and keep it in print indefinitely.

I can't remember now who it was that posted that or where to find that post now. 

I'm guessing for the sequel OSTs, after the first one was a hit, a special deal was negotiated to allow them to be both longer than 45 minutes and sell more than 15,000 copies without issues.

For the three Deluxe Editions, I believe Paramount, the AFM, and Varese worked out a special deal together to make those happen, that didn't follow the "standard" AFM fee structure that would apply if no negotiating happened

I mean, when it comes down to it, that's all Disney Records has to do to make the JW sequel scores happen. "Hey, we want to release these scores and pay all your musicians for their work on it, but this standard fee structure won't make that possible.  Let's come to an agreement so we can both make money here".

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, when it comes down to it, that's all Disney Records has to do to make the JW sequel scores happen. "Hey, we want to release these scores and pay all your musicians for their work on it, but this standard fee structure won't make that possible.  Let's come to an agreement so we can both make money here".

Sure, it can probably be negotiated. Some profit is better than no profit (and even a 10% reuse fee for three 3-4 hour scores would be wildly lucrative for the musicians, especially with the volume of sales that Star Wars commands).

But none of the smaller labels have been able to crack that nut, even on smaller profit margins. Which seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face on the AFM's part, but whatever.

We have no idea if any specialty label has actually even attempted to negotiate with the AFM about an expansion of a post-2005 score, actually.  Maybe they've tried, maybe they haven't.  How would we know?

I just remembered: LLL released an expanded version of Giacchino's "Medal of Honor: Airborne" score, recorded in 2006 and 2007 with the Hollywood Studio Symphony

It only added 8 more minutes than was on the OST album, though

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

We have no idea if any specialty label has actually even attempted to negotiate with the AFM about an expansion of a post-2005 score, actually.  Maybe they've tried, maybe they haven't.  How would we know?

I'm certain someone from Intrada posted on FSM that they tried to negotiate an expansion of Avatar with the AFM, but they refused to budge on the fees. I'll never be able to find the post of course.

EDIT: This is the closest I can find so far:

image.png

To me, that reads as "we looked at the posted free structure, and realized we couldn't afford it", not "we attempted to negotiate with the AFM and it didn't work out"

Plus it's a second hand report anyway

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

To me, that reads as "we looked at the posted free structure, and realized we couldn't afford it", not "we attempted to negotiate with the AFM and it didn't work out"

Plus it's a second hand report anyway

I'm certain Roger's original post specifically mentioned they tried to negotiate with the AFM.

EDIT: @Jay See below, I remembered correctly. They weren't able to negotiate an exception with the AFM for Avatar:

image.png

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

To tell the difference we'd have to know what Batu Sener sounds like on his own. Besides, additional composers can emulate the style quite well most of the time as was the case with Kamen, Horner etc.

Maybe Powell wrote the first version of the cue, and then Batu adjusted it to fit the final cut of the movie? Same case with the other cues that list additional composers. I guess they were working with material already provided by Powell, not creating cues of their own.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe Powell wrote the first version of the cue, and then Batu adjusted it to fit the final cut of the movie? Same case with the other cues that list additional composers. I guess they were working with material already provided by Powell, not creating cues of their own.

True. Powell might have just sketched an outline of the cue and handed it to Batu to fully orchestrate.

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm certain Roger's original post specifically mentioned they tried to negotiate with the AFM.

EDIT: @Jay See below, I remembered correctly. They weren't able to negotiate an exception with the AFM for Avatar:

image.png

Nice work finding the quote!  So that's one concrete example of a specialty label trying to negotiate a post-2005 title with the AFM and failing.

"New use rate", does that apply to the OST albums too, or is the proposed expansion the "new" use?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

"New use rate", does that apply to the OST album to or proposed expansion the "new" use?

It's vaguely worded. I'm more intrigued by the comment about Avatar being "on hold until the rate changes," which implies there's a sunset clause/sliding scale where the fee reduces after X years (and Intrada are holding out for a certain period of time).

Otherwise, if the prohibitively expensive rates were ad infinitum, wouldn't he have said the release is simply unviable unless the AFM changes their rules? Surely you wouldn't put a title "on hold" unless you knew there was X amount of time before you could release it, otherwise you'd be waiting indefinitely with no guarantee of success.

I don't think he was implying that at all, I think he was simply saying that they can't do it until the fee structure changes (hopefully) some day.  I doubt anyone, even heads of specialty music labels, knows if the AFM has plans to change their overall pricing plan one day or not

At the very least the AFM do negotiate with labels, seemingly without much success.

In the meantime, thousands of scores are gathering dust when the labels could get that music released and promote the talented musicians in their union. I totally understand the fees for big record labels with huge profit margins, but surely common sense prevails with these smaller boutique releases.

It's all well and good but shouldn't we be happy musicians are getting paid for using the recordings of their work? As harsh as jt might be for us collectors (and small labels) it is not exactly unfair, is it?

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's all well and good but shouldn't we be happy musicians are getting paid for using the recordings of their work? As harsh as jt might be for us collectors (and small labels) it is not exactly unfair, is it?

Karol

ESQ473BWkAE_yDK.jpg

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

No problem with them being paid (and they're paid for the original scoring sessions, not to mention subsequent payments for each video release and TV screening).

It's more the absurdity of charging such exorbitant fees to release decade old scores, making it unaffordable for the only companies interested in releasing them. Everyone loses, basically.

The problem, as I understand it, isn't the fees themselves, but that they have to be paid upfront, so LLL/Intrada/Varese, etc, have to pay a lump sum regardless of how many units they shift.

If they were able to pay based on sales, things might be different.

34 minutes ago, Drew said:

Are people seriously complaining about not having a CD option? I think digital only but having the music is what counts. Plus CD quality isn’t even top notch anymore.

I guess you prefer state-of-the-art 320 kbps mp3 files.

45 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Sorry but I'm old-fashioned, I still love my CD collection.  I have a lot of digital-only soundtracks that I wish were on CD.

Agreed. Call me old-fashioned but CDs are practically the only thing I listen to in my car. It's also the best way to memorize an album. 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Are people seriously complaining about not having a CD option? I think digital only but having the music is what counts. Plus CD quality isn’t even top notch anymore.

Just because Amazon presses garbage CDRs doesn't mean CD isn't the vastly superior audio format. 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Just because Amazon presses garbage CDRs doesn't mean CD isn't the vastly superior audio format. 

It's objectively not superior to 192khz/24-bit files. I like having physical sets, but to say they are superior in 2020 is simply not true.