John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Ok now this backs me up. Check out option 1.  This is why i check with AFM. My guess per Roger's take is Avatar crossed the 15k threshold and unlike a 5000 pre 2005 soundtrack adds on to the sales which means fees must be paid. This is how 1 release i worked on was set up. https://theteamcompanies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/AFM-PHONO-PYMT-OPTIONS-140324.pdf

That table definitely backs up what you've been saying Bryon. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe it's conditional on agreements signed when a score is first recorded (ie, the studios negotiate smaller upfront fees in exchange for higher reuse fees down the line). Otherwise, surely we'd have seen a couple of post-2005 JW scores expanded by now. Memoirs of a Geisha and Tintin spring to mind, those have a stack of unreleased music.

I would've thought Intrada would just opt for sub-15,000 units of Avatar if it meant no fees applied (unless the quantity was negotiated with the AFM and they wouldn't budge on 15,000 units).

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

That table definitely backs up what you've been saying Bryon. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe it's conditional on agreements signed when a score is first recorded (ie, the studios negotiate smaller upfront fees in exchange for higher reuse fees down the line). Otherwise, surely we'd have seen a couple of post-2005 JW scores expanded by now. Memoirs of a Geisha and Tintin spring to mind, those have a stack of unreleased music.

I would've thought Intrada would just opt for sub-15,000 units of Avatar if it meant no fees applied (unless the quantity was negotiated with the AFM and they wouldn't budge on 15,000 units).

It may not be that easy.  Keep in mind, Intrada must work with both Fox for the unreleased portion of the score AND the label that released the original score album that surely surpassed 15K.  I have to assume that in order to get the music from the label portion of the deal means they would need to pay into the rates negotiated by that label for whatever option they are paying on.  Compound this with the fact that you will need to pay a manufacturing rate to license from a label AND then get the studio to agree (I assume they would agree) to add in the unreleased score and this could be super expensive for Intrada to release.  I can't speak to that, Roger could better than I as he knows the particulars.  I hope those option charts make it clearer to you guys how this works and how hard and expensive it is to pay extra fees on releases that pass that threshold.  If a label can't sell more than a few thousand on something like this it means they may not make the kind of return that validates the expenditures.

Nicely explained @BryonDavis, thanks for providing some insight into the legalities. I suspect the Avatar situation is even more complex now given the Disney buyout of Fox; Roger's comments were back in 2017, before the acquisition was even floated publicly.

Overall the licensing process sounds extremely convoluted for these LA scores. Certainly reiterates the amazing job you & all the labels are doing to get these expansions released (even moreso with a pandemic thrown in the mix!)

Powell posted on his Instagram story this morning asking us if we have any questions, and I asked him if there was a release date yet or will it be announced soon and this was his response.

04547927-047F-42BE-B66D-5DAC213FCFA8.png

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it complete, though?

Yes, he said it would be everything he and Williams composed for the film, including the strong Imperial March cue when Han is on Mimban and the Duel of the Fates cue when Maul contacts Quira. I mention those two cues because people in the comments on his post were asking him about those two specific cues.

Powell keeps teasing some sort of announcement coming this Friday, but currently it's not clear whether it's related to this or something completely different. I guess we'll find out in a little over 24 hours...

I think that’s something else he’s been talking about for a while, like a study score release for another project or something, but I can’t remember what

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 8:35 PM, Brando said:

Yes, he said it would be everything he and Williams composed for the film, including the strong Imperial March cue when Han is on Mimban and the Duel of the Fates cue when Maul contacts Quira. I mention those two cues because people in the comments on his post were asking him about those two specific cues.

Everything he and JW composed? Including those infamous demos JW recorded that they couldn't use?

I kinda wish the Solo expansion just dropped unexpectedly for download/streaming. It's likely the release date will be around Black Friday, that would've been amazing!

But then again, maybe all the comments asking about bonus tracks/alternates inspired him to expand the tracklist before locking the assembly (which was still in flux when he announced the release).

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Compared to the wait for the Vienna BR, yes 🤣

I still remember when stock was arriving in late July. It's now early October and my local stores are "sold out" despite never having stock to begin with. :sarcasm:

On 10/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, bollemanneke said:

Everything he and JW composed? Including those infamous demos JW recorded that they couldn't use?

Sadly not the demos. according to JP's comments on Instagram. He did however confirm over 5 mins of unheard music by JW! image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

And the end credits, which although we can hear it cleanly in the film, is still technically unreleased. Come on November, hurry it up!

Was the opening a new recording, or edited from ESB?

Sounds amazing, even for a phone recording!

So he posted some form of spreadsheet. The entire release is either 35 tracks or 60 tracks, more likely the former. Not sure why the listing starts on line 26 though?

image.png

Coincidentally, Powell's expanded HTTYD assembly was 35 tracks as well, plus the 7 demos. We also know this assembly will have four 10-minute tracks.

Powell said an instrumental only version doesn't exist, which seems a little strange (would've thought the orchestral elements were recorded separate to the vocals).

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Powell said an instrumental only version doesn't exist, which seems a little strange (would've thought the orchestral elements were recorded separate to the vocals).

Maybe he was thinking people meant a version with instrunents playing the vocal lines?

1 hour ago, Spider-Fal said:

Maybe he was thinking people meant a version with instrunents playing the vocal lines?

Sounds about right. Got the impression there won't be a non-vocal version from Powell's comment.

Looking at that cue list, 35 tracks checks out when you focus on the cue slates (inserts will be combined into the cues). I suspect the breakdown will look something like this:

Track #

Cues

Track Title

The Han Solo Theme

The Adventures of Han

1M1 v2D “Opening”

1M1 Meet Han [Film Version]

1M1 v2D Insert “Opening”

1M1 v2F Insert “Opening”

1M2-3 v2L “Bunk-Proxima”

1M2 Bunk-Proxima

1M2-3 v2L Insert 030918 “Bunk-Proxima”

1M4-5 v3O “Corellia Chase”

1M4 Corellia Chase [Film Version]

1M4-5 v3V Fix “Corellia Chase”

1M4-5 v3Y Insert “Corellia Chase”

1M6-7 v1P “Spaceport”

1M5 Spaceport  [Film Version]

1M6-7 v1P Insert 030718 “Spaceport”

1M6-7 v1Q Overlay “Spaceport”

1M8 v1e “Gonna Be a Pilot”

1M8-9 Gonna be a Pilot / Mimbam Battle

1M9 “Imperial March”

1M10A v3D “Mimbam Battle”

1M10B v3D “Mimbam Battle”

1M11 v2B “Blackmail”

1M11 Blackmail

2M12 v2D “The Beast”

2M12 The Beast

2M12 v2D Overlay “The Beast”

2M13 v1I “Chewie Untamed”

2M13 Chewie Untamed

2M13 v1J Insert “Chewie Untamed”

2M14 v1C “Surveying Conveyex”

2M14 Surveying Conveyex

2M14 v1C Insert 030718 “Surveying Conveyex”

2M15 v2A (Intro)

2M15-16 Train Heist [Film Version]

2M15 v2A “Campfire”

2M16A v1Q “Conveyex”

2M16A v1Q Insert 030918 “Conveyex”

2M16B v2K “Enfys Nest Arrives”

2M16B v2M Insert “Enfys Nest Arrives”

2M16C v1G “Failed Heist”

2M16C v1G Insert 030718 “Failed Heist”

2M16C v1G Insert 2 “Failed Heist”

3M17 v2C “Walk To Dryden’s”

3M17 Walk to Dryden's

3M18S v2B “Yacht Duet”

3M18 Chicken in the Pot [Film Version]

3M19 v1D “Han & Qi’Ra Reunite”

3M18 Han & Qi-Ra Reuinte

3M19 v1D Insert 030918 “Han & Qi’Ra Reunite”

3M21-22-23 v1N “Dryden - Patience - Pilot”

3M21 Dryden / Patience / Pilot

3M21-22-23 v1N Insert 030818 “Dryden - Patience - Pilot”

3M24 v3D “Card Room”

3M24-25 Card Room / Sabacc Game

3M25 v1L “Sabacc Game”

3M26 v1N “L3 & Falcon”

3M26 L3 & Falcon

3M26 v1N Overlay “L3 & Falcon”

4M27 v1G “Family Stories”

4M27 Family Stories

4M28 v1J “Lando’s Closet”

4M28 Lando’s Closet

4M29 v1E “Trust No One”

4M29 Trust No One

4M30A v1M “Mines Pt. 1 - Heist”

4M30 Mine Mission [Film Version]

4M30A v1Q Insert “Mines Pt. 1 - Heist”

4M30B v4C “Mines Pt. 2 - Finding Coaxium”

4M30B v4F Insert “Mines Pt. 2 - Finding Coaxium”

4M30B v4F Overlay “Mines Pt. 2 - Finding Coaxium”

5M30C v8I “Mines Pt. 3 - Break-out”

5M31 v6G “L3’s Sacrifice”

5M31 v6H Insert “L3’s Sacrifice”

5M32 v2B “Kessel Run Pt. 1 - TIE Chase”

5M32 The Kessel Run

5M32 v2B Overlay 1 “Kessel Run Pt. 1 - TIE Chase”

5M32 v2B Overlay 2 “Kessel Run Pt. 1 - TIE Chase”

5M33A v2M “Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Monster”

5M33B v3C “Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Maw”

5M33C v2F “Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Landing”

6M34 v1O “Savareen Tent”

6M34 Savareen Tent

6M35 v1L “Emfy’s Standoff”

6M35 Enfys Standoff

6M37-38 v3A “Joining the Cause”

6M37-38 Joining the Cause

6M39-40 v3E “Real Thing Double Cross”

6M39-40 Real Thing Double Cross

6M41-42A v2F “Dryden Fight”

6M41-42 Dryden Fight

6M41-42A v2G Insert “Dryden Fight”

6M41-42A v2G Overlay “Dryden Fight”

7M42B-43 v1Q “Skype Showdown”

7M42 Showdown

7M42B-43 v1R Overlay “Skype Showdown”

7M44A-B v1G “Beckett Departs”

7M44 Beckett Departs

7M44B v1E Alt “Qi’Ra Departs”

7M45 v1E “Parting Ways”

7M45-48 Parting Ways / To Tatooine

7M47-48 v1K “To Tatooine”

End Credits

End Credits

Imperial Theme - Edwardian Style

?

Yacht Steel Drum Source

?

Jungle Drums Source

?

Extra Alternate/Source?

?

The 4 x 10 minute tracks will probably be the complete versions of Train Heist, Mine Mission, Kessel Run and Finale & End Credits.

I'm guessing all the source music will be relegated to the end, rather than mixed in with the film score.

Missed that! In that case, yep, there's the 35th track.

I wonder why he'd port that album version from the OST and not all the other pre-insert cues from the album? It appears both releases well be required to create a 'comprehensive' assembly of the score.

I guess short inserts are less dramatically different than entire vocal replacements. 

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Album Chicken in the Pot >>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>Film Version Chicken in the Pot

Yes

Just now, crumbs said:

Time for an LLL E.T. style analysis of the blurry tracklist? :P

Pretty sure either A.I. or EOTS predate that. ;) (not to mention the cue names for, I think, Gia's Into Darkness)