John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

30 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Pretty sure either A.I. or EOTS predate that. ;) (not to mention the cue names for, I think, Gia's Into Darkness)

Forgot about those! Only remembered the ET comparison because that promotional splash artwork actually had a different tracklist to the final released version. Not sure if we ever got an explanation about the difference (one track was missing on the final release, from memory). 

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think there are 34 tracks altogether. Kinda hard to see with all the blur; adjusting the contrast helped a tiny bit.

Exceptionally difficult to tell with that amount of blurring, but after enhancing/inverting I'm pretty sure it's 35 tracks (in line with his spreadsheet post last week).solo.JPG

Seems to be one continual tracklist, so no bonus section at the end.

Track 1 looks like Meet Han [1M1] so maybe the AOH concert suite is at the end? Although the Music Composed & Conducted by John Williams credit appears to be missing. It looked like this on the OST:

31890762_2042042352685723_88207833374937

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Was the Williams piece done in LA?  I would assume that only London tracks will be on this release.  Only a couplea days until we know for sure.

Yep, that piece was recorded in LA. JW hasn't recorded anything in London since Revenge of the Sith in 2005, though Ross conducted Galaxy's Edge with the LSO in his absence (presumably around the same time JW went to London but fell ill).

Not surprised if Powell chose to omit it, there might be licensing complications using the LA recording mixed with unreleased London material. The track is widely available via the OST anyway.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yep, that piece was recorded in LA. JW hasn't recorded anything in London since Revenge of the Sith in 2005, though Ross conducted Galaxy's Edge with the LSO in his absence (presumably around the same time JW went to London but fell ill).

Wasn't JW at Tanglewood at the time?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29030-galaxys-edge-new-john-williams-composition-2018/&do=findComment&comment=1554218

16 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Missed that. I thought the going theory was that JW would've recorded the piece with the LSO during his London concert, then Ross had to step in for him. 

29 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Some long track titles, especially the last track! Not just a simple "End Credits"!

I'm guessing the last few tracks will be source music, like the album version of Chicken in the Pot (seems weird to blend them into the film score chronologically, or have it back-to-back with the film version). 

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I would like to see a more detailed composer’s credit attached to each track, to have a definitive confirmation on which cues contain Williams material.

Does it matter?  Can't you just enjoy the music regardless?

Yeah I'm not sure if Powell will ever explicitly state which tracks feature JW's cues. JP said the Williams cues were converted to demos then used as fragments all over the score (because the edit changed drastically after JW recorded them, they no longer fit as intended).

Yeah, just curious. The soundtrack as it is is good on its own, and whatever is JW’s music blends wonderfully with Powell’s. Still, just curious.

I guess that the true ”holy grail” is the demo tape that JW recorded, which seems to remain unreleased for another couple of years.

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I guess that the true ”holy grail” is the demo tape that JW recorded, which seems to remain unreleased for another couple of years.

Not sure what conditions those demos were recorded under, but Powell wasn't even allowed to use the JW recordings in the temp track! He had to convert everything into demos and use those instead.

I suspect those recordings can't be released commercially, due to whatever agreement the musicians had (probably a smaller performance fee, conditional on the music being non-profit).

Quite possible that they will go unreleased until the end of time, but then again. As long as they exist, there’s always a chance that they’ll reach the public.

I have no problem waiting 10-20 years for an official release of the latter. :)

Until then, I am very happy with what is on the OST, and whatever is on the expansion.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I read somewhere that Zimmer and his team wrote 20 hours of music for Dark Phoenix. How they managed to write this amount of music for a 2h film is beyond me...

IIRC It's really an exaggeration, it pretty much just means that they jammed for 20 hrs.

The long track titles are like the ones that are always posted to Gracenote Database to my annoyance.

"End Credits (comp. John WIlliams/John Powell / Williams, John (b. 1932)/Powell, John (b. 1963) / Batu Sener)"

Just now, who cares said:

Who the shit puts birth dates in track titles? Gtfo. 

Some of the idiots who send information to the Gracenote Database do. That's the company iTunes uses to send metadata information to you when you insert a CD. I constantly have to edit out stupid stuff when I import CDs.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I dreamt last night that along with Solo, Disney Records also unveiled the tracklist for all the Star Wars Deluxe Edition soundtracks and Powell had just been the only composer to publicly announce it before hand.

I think I need a life 😂

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to having the exact same thought... just in real life instead :P

I mean, it's not the most far-fetched theory imaginable... and 10 months is plenty of time for Mike to have finished TROS. ;)

Just now, crumbs said:

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to having the same thought... just in real life instead :P

I suspect it's the fools hope of everyone here. Only ever spoken in hushed tones 😂

Yeah I could understand radio silence from the JW camp but I reckon Gia would be spamming his social pages just like Powell for Solo, if Rogue One was incoming. 

Gia has been pretty quiet and focused on his new work on social media of late.

This is a rabbit hole of excitement and likely disappointment though. One thing we know for absolute certain is that we're getting an expanded Star Wars score soon. The others will come when they come ;)

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

If Gia announces a coming announcement, we can start getting ready to piss our pants in excitement.

As long as it means getting excited because of what that means and not because of the actual Rogue One expansion, I'm on board.