John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

@GiacchinoCues for example, here is most of the completely-unreleased material from Train Heist / Marauders Arrive (combined into one cue on the DE). As you can see, there's well over a minute of new material:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ef9da8Rrv_fC6nvCIqBoxtX8A2cbtPw0/view?usp=sharing

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Also, since all the Inserts & Overlays are surely integrated into the cues in the new main program, by my count there are 21 cues that could have been presented in their original, without-Inserts-without-Overlays versions as bonus tracks, if he had been so inclined

I think for the general listener/Spotifier, that would be confusing.

3 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

Just need someone to ask about the credits suite... ;)

I've asked the question :)

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Can someone please ask him which cues were based on John Williams material?

Done

Is it just me who doesn't remember Bunk/Proxima being >3 mins long in the film?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Going by the titles online (No idea whether these are tracked edits in film or are simply missing from the sh

Track 14 - The film version of Chicken in the Pot is listed online as "Dryden Yacht Duet"

Track 16 - Yacht Party Source

Track 29 - Might contain "Beckett Leaves" as 6m36?

Track 33 - Jungle Cantina Source

Sure, but those weren't in the sheet music list posted here

Anybody know if I lined up the OST tracks correctly?  Everything through reel 5 was straight forward but I don't know about reels 6 and 7

Also there seems to be no 6M36...

Up until "The Good Guy" definitely.

"Qi'ra knows a bit more than Han" is definitely on the album, in "The Good Guy", isn't it? It covers them both in the elevator about to meet Dryden.

I dunno.  I also didn't know if Testing Allegiance OST title referred to Deluxe title Double-Double Cross, Dryden's Long, Long Fight, or what.

I saw the film once and don't remember specifics about the ending >shrug<

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea and it's a terrific recording to boot

Oh no doubt Intrada would be happy to do it!  I hope Disney Records lets them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Has Powell worked with Intrada before? I know Disney has/had a deal with them for several MCU scores, OZ, several of Horner's, but it's still iffy.

I'm happy with the 2018 release, but if a CD release of the Deluxe Edition is available, I'd buy it.

I think 3M36-7-8 covers 1:51-3:58 of The Good Guy, which is ca. the 2:14 allotted for "Qi'ra knows a bit more than Han", and the remaining 1:26 is part of "Double-Double Cross"

Yup looks like that backs up this post:

On 5/27/2018 at 9:41 PM, Spider-Fal said:

1:50-End of Track 14 from Solo actually occurs after Track 17 in the film, 0:00-1:50 is between Track 16 and 17.  It's the cue for Han and Qi-ra's conversation (obvious from the track title) from 0:00-1:50, the cue for Han and Qi-ra going to Dryden with the Coaxium from 1:50-3:58, and the cue for Enfys Nest taking out Dryden's goons from 3:58-end

Obviously there is unreleased (?) music in between those two cues.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sure, but those weren't in the sheet music list posted here

Anybody know if I lined up the OST tracks correctly?

I've got these on my spreadsheet as guesses to each cue on the OST:

Testing Allegiance:
00:00-02:09 6m41-42A "Dryden Fight"
02:09-End Qi'ra and Han

The Good Guy:
00:00-01:50 6m34 "Savareen Tent"
01:50-02:40 "Beckett Leaves" [6m36?]
02:40-03:58 "You Don't Know Everything"

03:58-End 6m39-40 "Real Thing Double Cross" [End of cue?]

Good Thing You Were Listening:
00:00-00:08 7m42B-43 "Skype Showdown" [End of cue? Duel of the Fates heavy Skype opening cut?]
00:08-01:03 "Beckett Showdown"
01:03-End 7m44B Alt "Qi’Ra Departs" [01:03-01:46 Unused?]

I've not seen the film in quite a while so these are just my old guesses from when the cue titles turned up online.

Here's the full set of cue titles that turned up online that were not in the sheet music leak (No idea if some of these are simply tracked edits or not):

Spoiler

Yacht Party Source

Meet Dryden

Testing Dryden's Patience

Lando

Kessel Run Pt 3 - Liftoff

Beckett Leaves

Back to Dryden's

You Don't Know Everything

Beckett Showdown

Jungle Cantina Source

Sabacc Rematch

I am very interested in listening to this. I have listen to the OST many times but I have only seen the entire film once. So with the exception of a few unreleased tracks on Youtube I have not heard the rest of the score since I saw it in the cinema. 

There's certainly no ambiguity that that kraft engel mp3 titled "Qi'ra and Han" (a cue name not seen on the OST, the Deluxe, or the sheet music list) lines up with what starts at 2:09 of Testing Allegiance...

Just now, Jay said:

Anybody know what the name "Oksana Floren, Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa" is all about?

Oksana Floren I believe is the fake name Qi'ra uses when they land on Kessel. Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa probably refers to her bullshitting her way into the factory.

Just now, Brando said:

Not sure if someone asked about this or not, but he is taking/answering questions on his Instagram story.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Powell is answering questions on Instagram now. All chronological according to the film order except 1m8 and 1m9 :)

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody know what the name "Oksana Floren, Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa" is all about?

"I am Oksana Floren, Deputy Assistant Administrator to the Vice-Admiral of the Federation of Trade Route Allocation and Monetization. Here with an offer from his eminence, the Senior Vice-Admiral."

Personally, I'm intrigued to hear "Stormtrooper JP-054 Karaoke feat. John Powell". I know it's just some crazy source music, but I wonder what the "feat. John Powell" relates to. Vocals? Instrumental solo?

6 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Personally, I'm intrigued to hear "Stormtrooper JP-054 Karaoke feat. John Powell". I know it's just some crazy source music, but I wonder what the "feat. John Powell" relates to. Vocals? Instrumental solo?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Huh. He was the one whistling?

14 minutes ago, rough cut said:

New stereo mixing and new mastering?

Why?

The OST sounded great to me.

Not all the music was on the OST, so it would have the mixed and mastered for CD (as opposed to film mix use)....

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I personally thought the OST was a bit "wall of sound" / "in your face"; It was hard to hear individual instruments at times, especially when the loud drums were playing.  If the new mix allows us to hear the individual instruments better, that's an upgrade in my book!

Agreed. That is perhaps one of my only recurring complaints with some John Powell scores, but listening to Solo can be a little hard work for that reason (much though I love it as music) but he really needs to let it breathe a bit more. It's especially noticeable on this as the Williams track has that soundstage space around the instruments but the actual score mix is a little bit relentless. Given that he toned down the mix for HTTYD for the Deluxe Edition to give it a more natural, spacious sound, perhaps he'll do the same here. Can't wait though... should be a cracking release.

Listening to the film version of the End Credits now. I wonder if the original, unedited version we're getting on the Deluxe Edition will feature a version of The Adventures of Han recorded in full (or nearly) by the orchestra in London?

1 minute ago, Spider-Fal said:

Strangely enough the waveforms didn't look that limited...

That is strange as it definitely sounds that way when you listen to it. Maybe it's just the orchestration in this case. Brian Tyler's scores suffer from this... compared to tracks of his that appear in concert (albeit not having seen them live), Tyler's music sounds a lot better than the original albums. JP isn't nearly that bad (and most albums of his sound pretty great) but I can't help feel that giving his music something a little closer to the acoustic of a classical orchestral recording, it would present his music in an even better light, especially where the writing is dense and detailed. However, HTTYD sounds pretty incredible, as I mentioned previously, I've rarely heard horns (and brass more generally) sound more sonorous.

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

Listening to the film version of the End Credits now. I wonder if the original, unedited version we're getting on the Deluxe Edition will feature a version of The Adventures of Han recorded in full (or nearly) by the orchestra in London?

Depends on if the suite is an actual suite, or if it is either just slightly reorchestrated cues from throughout the score, or an edit.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not that it should be surprising, but it's nice to see that Intrada is interested (because why wouldn't they be?) and actively trying to get this on CD. I assume when he says "these" he is also referring to The Mandalorian?

Yes, Mando is correct.  He was replying to this post:

I suppose there is a chance that Intrada might be able to get a CD release at somepoint in the future. However, we're probably more likely to see Disney give a physical release to Mono for Vinyl release as with The Mandolorian rather than giving it to Intrada for CD.

That said i will be buying the digital so long as a) it's available lossless and b) it's available in the UK.

I will happily buy a CD release as well, should one be forthcoming in the future.