John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

However, HTTYD sounds pretty incredible, as I mentioned previously, I've rarely heard horns (and brass more generally) sound more sonorous.

The OST or the new version? I listened to the OST again the other day to decide whether I want the new version, and what stood out the most to me (more than the fact that I still think it's a lovely score with some very good cues that doesn't hold my interest even for the length of the album) is how the ultra-brickwalled sound almost made my ears bleed. Every single brass note sounds like one thousand horns blown by giants at full volume.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The OST or the new version? I listened to the OST again the other day to decide whether I want the new version, and what stood out the most to me (more than the fact that I still think it's a lovely score with some very good cues that doesn't hold my interest even for the length of the album) is how the ultra-brickwalled sound almost made my ears bleed. Every single brass note sounds like one thousand horns blown by giants at full volume.

The new version...

It's less compressed.

8 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

The new version...

It's less compressed.

That I've read, I'm just not sure if that's what Tom was talking about.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Marian, the new Deluxe Edition of HTTYD sounds sooo much better than the OST mastering. Presumably Solo will receive a similar upgrade, since both expansions are produced by Powell through Cat 5 Studios 

Yes, the improved sound would actually be my main draw to get HTTYD… but I'd probably not listen to it more often, so I think it's not really for me. Solo I'll definitely pick up, although I'm still on the fence about whether I'll hold out for a while to see if there's a CD version coming up.

In the post you quoted he was absolutely talking about the Deluxe Edition. 

Here's more context to explain how I know, see IE the bit about the horns

On 10/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

I’m not sure the difference is materially different to the FYC, but the expanded release sounds pretty spectacular, the horns have a gorgeous roundness to them, the moment when they play out the main theme in Test Drive at 40 seconds hasn’t sounded better (to pick up in another thread that’s one of my all time favourite moments of any score, very much a hairs on the back of the neck moment notwithstanding that I’ve listened to that track probably well over 100 times (indeed it’s one of my all time favourite cues alongside See You Tomorrow)). I think the mix has more air to the soundstage compared to the original album so the sonic upgrade in that regard is worth the investment. 

The additional cues round out the original selection nicely. Given how much I love this score I really feel I should know it better (possibly a side effect of not having seen the film in a long while) but there are several tracks that always take me by surprise. And some which will doubtless take some by surprise who are only familiar with the original album. Parts of relax/stroke/hell sound like they’ve escaped from an historical epic.

I’m still in two minds about the song. Ans that’s said as a more than casual (but not fanatical) fan of Jonsi/Sigur Ros. However I think the other two are better, the second for the terrific way it’s mixed with extracts from Powell’s score and the third as its just a lovely song. Still glad to have it.

But yeah. This is a great release. So great to have the full score in amazing sound. It’s not just the many memorable themes, but that so many of the cues function more or less as “proper” music with a beginning, middle and end and a dramatic arc within them as well as across the entire narrative of the score.  Superb stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

In the post you quoted he was absolutely talking about the Deluxe Edition. 

That's not the post Marian quoted..?

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Marian, the new Deluxe Edition of HTTYD sounds sooo much better than the OST mastering. Presumably Solo will receive a similar upgrade, since both expansions are produced by Powell through Cat 5 Studios 

I wouldn't presume that, as the OST was nowhere near as compressed as much as HTTYD, and Solo was also mixed by 5 Cat Studios and with the Album mastered by Pat Sullivan.

1 hour ago, Spider-Fal said:

That's not the post Marian quoted..?

I know it's not the post he quoted, I was providing additional insight from the same user about the Deluxe Edition sound differences 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I know it's not the post he quoted,

You said it was though. ;) And Fal is right in pointing it out, because there's so much going on in this thread at the moment that I usually just skim through it, so I only read Tom's other post (the one I did quote) without context.

1 hour ago, Spider-Fal said:

I wouldn't presume that, as the OST was nowhere near as compressed as much as HTTYD, and Solo was also mixed by 5 Cat Studios and with the Album mastered by Pat Sullivan.

OK good to know! 

Actually now that I reread his post more carefully, I don't think Jay was saying that post was the one you quoted, he was just using that post as extra context for "proof" that the post from Tom that you quoted was talking about HTTYD.

Love the extended version track names, fun alternative to the traditional [Film Version] or [Extended Version] labels. Very Giacchino-esque, just in a smaller dose.

Bit surprised the source music has been mixed in with the rest of the score. Unsurprisingly no bonus tracks... but I think the OST features cues without the film inserts, so both releases will be required to assemble a 'comprehensive' version of the score. Anyone thinking of doing a spreadsheet?

As for unreleased music, the OST sans JW's concert suite is 73 minutes, so the Deluxe's 123 minute means 50 minutes of unreleased music. Even higher when you consider the film inserts that will be exclusive to the Deluxe (and hopefully all included, Powell said as much in his comments).

Dice & Roll not being attached to the end credits suite is an odd decision. Wonder if the music is continuous but the tracks are split?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Anyone thinking of doing a spreadsheet?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Looks like 7M42B-43 Skype Showdown is being split between tracks 31 and 32?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fcd5KxqAJO0dgQ8y1sHfd0o9eCeTSF7sbNFWORc805o/

Yea once the DE comes out hopefully someone with the sheets can tell us the timestamps of the inserts and overlays as well as shed light on what original passages they replaced might sound like

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I know it's not the post he quoted, I was providing additional insight from the same user about the Deluxe Edition sound differences 

What Jay said ;-) (Sorry for confusion... yes, I meant that the deluxe sounds better than the OST, at least to me!)

Just a thought - in the film, the majority of "Walk To Dryden's" is exactly the same as OST "The Good Guy"/DE "Savareen Tent", only changing with the reveal of Dryden's ship. I wonder if this is actually tracked and if the track on the DE will be different.

15 hours ago, Jay said:
  1. 7M45 Parting Ways = 32D Maul's Call / Parting Ways | was not on OST

That's the bit that confused me at first in the breakdown - I assume that's the bit with the low key version of Han's theme as they bring the <name of chemical stuff>. I thought... I'm pretty sure that's not on the album.

Normally I'd have been disappointed that it wasn't on the OST, but I watched the film about a week or so after this announcement.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That's the bit that confused me at first in the breakdown - I assume that's the bit with the low key version of Han's theme as they bring the <name of chemical stuff>. I thought... I'm pretty sure that's not on the album.

Definitely not on the album, and one of the best unreleased cues. Sounds like Williams wrote it.

It's probably the single biggest unreleased cue (in terms of interesting content). Oh, and the original End Credits, but we didn't even realise they existed until the DE.

I echo crumb's comment that Partying Ways really sounds like Williams - I wonder if it was one of the original "demo"cues, perhaps slightly re-arranged and re-recorded in London. It's excellent. I was surprised it didn't make the OST - personally, I thought Chicken In The Pot should have been cut from the album and replaced with this.

I'm a little surprised it's joined onto Maul's Call however. I thought there was a clear separation between the two in the film. Never mind - I want both!

This is easily my most anticipated release of the year, and arguably Powell's best score (HTTYD3 is #2 IMO).

So now we're in a holding pattern waiting for Powell to randomly tell us one day when this is releasing, right?  He hasn't posted a date where that announcement will come?

Did he post any other interesting answers the day he was answering questions after the tracklist was posted?

I was a little disappointed by the questions that were chosen to be answered - most revolved around "Which track is (Reminisence Therapy) featured in?" or "Is the major version of the Imperial March in-world?". All things we could work out ourselves with little thought. Other than it had remastered sound there was nothing of note (and did we know that before anyway?)

I did ask when the release date was going to be announced but it wasn't answered.

So yes, holding pattern. Have we just been told "November"? Why do I recall hearing "late November" previously?

24 minutes ago, Anthony said:

So yes, holding pattern. Have we just been told "November"? Why do I recall hearing "late November" previously?

I think people just started joking he would align with LLL's Black Friday slate announcement.

That had to be on purpose, right?

I always skip that track. And I do enjoy the fact that, if you skip that one, the OST doesn't have too much emphasis on old Williams material. I don't remember from the film if there was anything else that blatant, but if so, I might do a little editing when we get the new presentation.

Is anyone else going to the Zoom Q&A event with John Powell in a couple of hours? I just booked my ticket. Might be able to get some answers then :)

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Is anyone else going to the Zoom Q&A event with John Powell in a couple of hours? I just booked my ticket. Might be able to get some answers then :)

Maybe he will announce the release date on this event?

"John (big fan btw!), can you tell us how the process went for getting the Solo DE released? Did Disney take a lot of convincing or are releases like this something they were already open to/exploring?" ;)

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

"John (big fan btw!), can you tell us how the process went for getting the Solo DE released? Did Disney take a lot of convincing or are releases like this something they were already open to/exploring?" ;)

Pretty much exactly how I'd phrase the question, in all seriousness. Would love to have some insight into Disney Records' current thinking with SW score expansions, whether they approached him or he approached them, if he faced any resistance or caveats on the release (two hour runtime? digital only?), etc.

A lot of people have asked about the other scores on his SM page and he's ignored those questions. Maybe he knows more than he's letting on... or maybe he has little to do with Disney and has no idea what they're working on.  /shrug

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Cunning wording!

1 minute ago, ricsim88 said:

Someone needs to ask him if the Solo score will get the same Omni publishing treatment. That would be incredible. 

Someone (I forget where), made the interesting point that including the cue numbers is a nice tie-in with the HTTYD printed score. If he's done the same with the Solo tracklist it might point to something similar happening.

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

Someone (I forget where), made the interesting point that including the cue numbers is a nice tie-in with the HTTYD printed score. If he's done the same with the Solo tracklist it might point to something similar happening.

It was me...lol

I commented on his IG post of the tracklist

Just to add to the rumour basket... I talked to Tim at Omni about ordering Total Recall, and he mentioned that other “things” were coming, and it might be worth waiting on ordering, in order to save a bit on shipping by combining purchases...

But you didn’t hear it from me...