John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

It feels like something that makes a lot of sense tbh. John Powell seems to be on a bit of a roll with special releases at the moment so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a Solo release coming from Omni. I just wish I could read music well enough to get something out of the printed scores!

I guess we don't know the release date for the Solo DE because it hasn't really been "officially" announced yet, has it? I mean in terms of the actual record label announcing it. John's teases have been more like someone that is on the same wavelength as the fans giving them something to get excited about.

Yeah it's curious that Disney haven't officially announced anything, it's all been Powell on social media (and they've only retweeted him).

Not even an article on the Star Wars website. It's a bit strange. Maybe they're waiting for a locked release date, and it's TBD because Powell only recently finished mastering the release? 

On the Omni Solo possibility, wonder if JW's cues would be included, if they're not allowed to release the recordings? 

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

On the Omni Solo possibility, wonder if JW's cues would be included, if they're not allowed to release the recordings?

I thought the restrictions on the Williams cues only extended to the use of the LA recordings? They are (what ever they actually are), included on the DE in any case since we know that everything from the film and more is going to be included. They'll just be the versions recorded in London. All very confusing.

If Powell had to take the Williams material and re-work it from the demo stage up to recording to integrate it in to the score I don't see why those cues wouldn't be part of a printed score release. I have no indepth knowledge of the complexities of how all this works though!

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

I walk a lonely road here but I honestly may think Horton is the best score with his name on it other than the Dragons

Probably an outlier view but it is a great score. I’ll have to give it another spin later.

Sorry guys, I didn't ask any questions - most of the people there were film and composition students so the questions were quite rightly focused on the career path and techniques.

A really great event though with some great stories (John Powell at John Williams' house playing ideas for Solo and being embarrassed by sketches with names like "Fuck Chewie").

I don't know if Tim Burden is on here, but thank you to @TownerFan for co-hosting.

Edit: Thanks @mahler3! :)

I'm not sure if this has been noticed (or if JP answered someone else's question earlier and I just missed it) but on Facebook someone asked him if OMNI would be releasing the score sheets, and he replied "not this one".

Probably old news to everyone here, but just in case it's not, I decided to post it.

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not sure if this has been noticed (or if JP answered someone else's question earlier and I just missed it) but on Facebook someone asked him if OMNI would be releasing the score sheets, and he replied "not this one".

Probably old news to everyone here, but just in case it's not, I decided to post it.

I didn’t see that, but if true, it sucks. But not overly surprising since it’s Disney after all. 

I was looking at the track list for some concert last night, and saw an orchestra performed Williams' Han Solo theme from this film.

That made me think.. you know what?  Instead of just performing his theme arrangement at concerts, it'd be really awesome of orchestras started playing selections from Powell's score, too!

What cues do you guys think would make the best concert pieces?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

What cues do you guys think would make the best concert pieces?

Interestingly enough, Mine Mission was arranged and performed as a concert suite at the Film Fest Ghent in 2018:

On 10/21/2018 at 4:24 AM, fommes said:

The concert version of "Mine Mission" premiered in Ghent this week, at the "2001 and Beyond" concert at the Film Fest.

If I remember correctly, it was almost the whole OST cue but ended with a special concert ending.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:30 PM, Bofur01 said:

The OST is so entertaining from start to finish that it's hard to pick one. That's why I narrow it down to three: Corellia Chase, Flying with Chewie and Lando's Closet. 

BTW: It's become very quiet around the Deluxe Edition. Do we have other information than the release being at some point in November?

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Interestingly enough, Mine Mission was arranged and performed as a concert suite at the Film Fest Ghent in 2018:

Oh, wow!  I missed that.  That sounds really, really awesome!

1 minute ago, Bounty95 said:

BTW: It's become very quiet around the Deluxe Edition. Do we have other information than the release being at some point in November?

Nope.

9 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Nope, it's very strange. Not exactly sure what Disney are holding out for. Seems like Powell handed over the finished masters weeks ago.

I guess there's licensing/legal paperwork that gets sorted? Who knows.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'd choose Corellia Chase. It's such a lively, entertaining piece of music that I would love to see it live with a whole orchestra.

Good choice... any of those suggested make pretty good concert pieces, with not too much amendment. As I commented in respect of HTTYD, Powell is pretty great at writing self contained cues, which make musical, dramatic and narrative sense, and cues from Solo similarly lend themselves to concert arrangements that work well in isolation.

I'm sure I saw a compilation already out there that had a track from Solo that was from Powell's score, although I can't for the life of me remember what the compilation was. Possibly a live concert recording, but was surprised (and kinda gratified) that it wasn't The Adventures of Han!

8 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'm sure I saw a compilation already out there that had a track from Solo that was from Powell's score, although I can't for the life of me remember what the compilation was. Possibly a live concert recording, but was surprised (and kinda gratified) that it wasn't The Adventures of Han!

Really?  If you figure it out, please post what it is here!

36 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Corellia Chase was recorded by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, off the album 100 Greatest Science Fiction Themes.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Corellia Chase was recorded by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

As ever, "video unavailable" but I think it was a CPPO recording... although not sure what album it was. Sadly JP is lacking a compilation album. I hope someone does one though (although better than the synth HTTYD album that Silva Screen put out, that was a crushing disappointment).

CPPO studio recordings of OST tracks for compilation CDs isn't what I'm after.  I'm hoping for live performances of Powell compositions arranged specifically for live performance, like that Mine Mission concert ending mentioned above!  I hope we get a way to hear that somewhere...

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

CPPO studio recordings of OST tracks for compilation CDs isn't what I'm after.  I'm hoping for live performances of Powell compositions arranged specifically for live performance, like that Mine Mission concert ending mentioned above!  I hope we get a way to hear that somewhere...

Oh for sure, it was more the fact they had recorded something from the underscore than anything. Shame that performance wasn't recorded.

I can only imagine what it must be like to be in a concert hall and hear some of this action music playing if they have all the big drums and everything.

I attended a Halloween film music concert once where they played music from Christopher Young (Ghost Rider I think) with huge drums and it was pretty awesome

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can only imagine what it must be like to be in a concert hall and hear some of this action music playing if they have all the big drums and everything.

I attended a Halloween film music concert once where they played music from Christopher Young (Ghost Rider I think) with huge drums and it was pretty awesome

I saw the HTTYD suite at the Concert for Care at the Royal Albert Hall organised by David Arnold years ago, and it sounded pretty amazing. But totally agreed, a Solo suite would sound great live.

All it means is he's counting down to something. It doesn't prove that it's Solo. 

It obviously could be, and likely is - Nov  20 is a Friday after all, and there only 4 Fridays in November to pick from! 

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, wow!  I missed that.  That sounds really, really awesome!

Not to make you jealous but "Mine Mission" in concert at Film Fest Ghent did indeed sound terrific. Very happy that this piece in particular was performed.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

All it means is he's counting down to something. It doesn't prove that it's Solo. 

It obviously could be, and likely is - Nov  20 is a Friday after all, and there only 4 Fridays in November to pick from! 

But what are the odds that he's not counting down to Solo? Pretty low I'd imagine.