John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I'm curious to see the artwork! Solo had some great marketing they could utilise for a new cover... but I suspect they'll just reuse the OST artwork with 'Deluxe' written somewhere. Might be a job for the custom artwork team :)

The wait for this release has felt excruciating though (and it's been "only" 6 weeks!!)

Now I see why smaller labels announce and release their scores with only a small buffer in between :lol:

That's a damn fine Struzan poster - not that there's any other kind of Struzan poster.

Incidentally, I just rewatched Solo the other day. Some parts were less forgettable than I'd remembered. It would have benefited from having a truly special titular performance, rather than the merely competent one we got. Not throwing shade at Ehrenreich; not like I could do any better. But Harrison Ford is a tough act to follow.

Anyway, still looking forward to the expanded album!

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I don't blame the actor, but I think it would've been a stronger performance had they kept Lord and Miller. Stronger comedic writing etc...

Would love to see whatever they shot before being dumped. It doesn't sound like the comedic tone was working at all, otherwise the studio wouldn't have intervened.

I don't think any of the actors have ever addressed it directly.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would love to see whatever they shot before being dumped. It doesn't sound like the comedic tone was working at all, otherwise the studio wouldn't have intervened.

I don't think any of the actors have ever addressed it directly.

We got the hints that Kennedy and Kasdan (IIRC) didn't approve of the way the pair worked when filming, but I have a feeling they didn't want them to toy with the 'Star Wars MouldTM' which I think is where Kennedy needed to loosen up. Let Star Wars be something new sometimes!

Who knows, though. Maybe Lord and Miller were really dragging things through the gutter and we were saved from a monumental screw-up?

Lord and Miller are very into character improv, which is fine and good when you just have Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill in a two-shot on a lit set, but probably murder in a plot-based and storyboarded-to-death effects movie.

With that said, I've liked everything of theirs that I've seen, and while we never will, I'd be interested in seeing something put together resembling their vision on SOLO.

That Powell loves a tease!

I guess it'll be a press release from Disney maybe, with official details of the release date, tracklist, pricing and availability? Just a hunch.

Still suspect that countdown is for the release date.

Decent cover - almost makes it look like Emilia Clarke is the main character though

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Would be nice to know a price too.

I don't think digital albums have an "MSRP";  Each different site that sells digital music can charge whatever they want, AFAIK.

Can't wait for Nov 20, I'm currently clearing my schedule with a machete!

The cover is fine but I won't use it. Not a big enough fan of the movie. Speaking of which, it really is incredible that this is happening given that the film itself is a potential embarrassment for Disney. Thank you, soundtrack gods!!

Kinda nice not to have to worry about ordering the CD, honestly.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like the cover better than the OST, but the key art for SOLO was never great.  My kingdom for a run of Struzan posters on the Disney movies over photocollages.

So what we ended up getting ;)

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Be still my beating heart... can't wait. Does that mean it's the day as Black Friday releases too?! Is that going to be the most expensive day all year?! 

Black Friday is November 27th, day after Thanksgiving.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

?  As far as I can tell, Struzan only produced an official poster for TFA, on the side for the D23 expo.

It was joke that it would have looked pretty much the same

Looks like yes, to two questions, but nothing new/interesting at this point.  Deluxe score as a print = "not available."  It has all the music from the film, which is 40+ minutes more than the OST.

You guys got specific questions (maybe about the credits?) you'll have to go in there.  I'm not familar enough with the score to poke at anything specific.

Nah, my only question is if he thinks it will ever get a CD version in the future

The actual musical contents are long decided and we'll find out on the 20th so no need to bug him about his choices now IMO

Doesn’t surprise me.  There’s a lot of SW March, and they seem picky on what they promote there - usually stuff related to upcoming initiatives, not the old movies.  We’ll probably see it on the Disney Music and maybe Star Wars socials, but not on the site proper.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, my only question is if he thinks it will ever get a CD version in the future

The actual musical contents are long decided and we'll find out on the 20th so no need to bug him about his choices now IMO

Someone asked and he said no CD release. 

11C737B4-F71E-41DB-8D84-EDB8EC476D95.png

I just realized you said future release, not now. I searched and no one asked for that specifically 

33 minutes ago, Jay said: