John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I've tried some unreleased film cues and nothing seems to be coming up for me. Not the Return to the Village cue, film version of Lando's Closet, the jungle drums source music, the film ending of Train Heist, etc. The only track being recognised is the end credits, strangely enough. Maybe the new mix is confusing the algorithm?

On a hunch, I also tried some unreleased sections of the SW prequels and sequels; nothing came up for those either :P

Curiously, Shazam lists the end credits from The Last Jedi as "Album Finale" rather than simply "Finale," which I found curious. Why specify that Finale as being the "album" version, unless there's an alternative? And in the case of TLJ, we know there's both an early/alternate finale suite plus the film version (which is cobbled together mostly from film cues, rather than the discrete recordings JW made for the credits).

It's probably nothing........

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Curiously, Shazam lists the end credits from The Last Jedi as "Album Finale" rather than simply "Finale," which I found curious. Why specify that Finale as being the "album" version, unless there's an alternative? And in the case of TLJ, we know there's both an early/alternate finale suite plus the film version (which is cobbled together mostly from film cues, rather than the discrete recordings JW made for the credits).

The finale at the end credits of the film did not contain Yoda's Theme. That is only on the album. I like the original movie version better without Yoda. At The Force Awakens it is the other way around. The end credit version of the finale contained additionally the Scherzo for X-Wing that is not contained in the Finale on the album. Here I personally prefer the album version.  

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The finale at the end credits of the film did not contain Yoda's Theme. That is only on the album. I like the original movie version better without Yoda. At The Force Awakens it is the other way around. The end credit version of the finale contained additionally the Scherzo for X-Wing that is not contained in the Finale on the album. Here I personally prefer the album version.  

Technically the "film version" is mostly just cobbled together from film cues, created editorially (probably without JW's input, like the extension to March of the Resistance in the film credits for TFA).

The album version of Finale is JW's intended end credits suite for TLJ, with discrete recordings made for the credits (it's not a medley of film cues, ala Mischief Managed). The only film cue in the album credits is Holdo's Resolve, but the rest are different recordings (the concert suite, the Crait material, the Escape material, the Yoda material, the Here They Come material, and the Rey's Theme coda).

Every major new theme and motif from TLJ is included in the album credits, which is neat. It probably just doesn't get as much love as the TFA credits because the arrangements are so similar to the film cues, unlike all the fun new arrangements of TFA's themes in Jedi Steps and Finale.

52 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It probably just doesn't get as much love as the TFA credits because the arrangements are so similar to the film cues

At a finale of a star wars movie I want to hear just the new themes from the particular movie. That is why I am dissapointed when the finale of revenge of the sith starts with Leia's theme or there is the Tie Fighter attack or Yoda's theme in the end credits of The Last Jedi. 

Film credits: not that great considering they are just a mash-up of other tracks. All other SW movies have dedicated credits pieces.

What I want from the DE credits: original recordings! Will it be this? I don't know...

I wonder why they didn't use whatever Powell came up with originally.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

What I want from the DE credits: original recordings! Will it be this? I don't know...

I wonder why they didn't use whatever Powell came up with originally.

The sheet music has no end credits material, apart from the usual John Williams Star Wars end credits opening, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Existing cues from the OST/film are being recognised by Shazam in the Deluxe's end credits suite, so it seems it'll just be a medley of film cues (ala Mischief Managed) rather than new recordings, unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The sheet music leak has no end credits material, apart from the usual John Williams Star Wars end credits opening, unfortunately.

Very interesting that the sheet music  has leaked...

2 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Very interesting that the sheet music  has leaked...

Only a tiny portion I believe. I wasn't able to get ahold of it before it was taken down, so I'm not positive how much there was exactly.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Existing cues from the OST/film are being recognised by Shazam in the Deluxe's end credits suite, so it seems it'll just be a medley of film cues (ala Mischief Managed) rather than new recordings, unfortunately.

If that's the case then I find it bizarre that JP has been hyping up this cue for no reason. He seems to mention it at least once every time he posts an update, whether in the main post or in the comments.

5 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If that's the case then I find it bizarre that JP has been hyping up this cue for no reason. He seems to mention it at least once every time he posts an update, whether in the main post or in the comments.

He must have been really unhappy with the film credits :lol:

But really, it's commonplace, especially in SW. I don't think any of JW's credits suites have remained totally intact since TPM (not even sure that one isn't edited).

It still baffles me how AOTC ditched that seriously awesome Imperial March/Anakin's Theme coda.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But really, it's commonplace, especially in SW. I don't think any of JW's credits suites have remained totally intact since TPM (not even sure that one isn't edited).

It still baffles me how AOTC ditched that seriously awesome Imperial March/Anakin's Theme coda.

Well, he seems to have toyed with several versions, with that alternate. Unused credits, the gelb versions etc.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

TPM end credits are edited too.

1 hour ago, Spider-Fal said:

Well, he seems to have toyed with several versions, with that alternate. Unused credits, the gelb versions etc.

What is the "gelb version"? Always wanted to know

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Only a tiny portion I believe. I wasn't able to get ahold of it before it was taken down, so I'm not positive how much there was exactly.

Seems complete, or very close to it:

If my math is correct it will be up for sale in AU/NZ iTunes 17 hours, 10 minutes from the time of this post.  Maybe I am off by 1 hr in either direction

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

If my math is correct it will be up for sale in AU/NZ iTunes 17 hours, 10 minutes from the time of this post.  Maybe I am off by 1 hr in either direction

Or maybe it releases at one set time everywhere, the one Powell's counting back to, like Mando episodes.

Ah, true.  I guess Disney Records has this precedent of doing simultaneous global releases that no other label seems to do

I hope it's available at 00:01 on Friday in each locale. I have the day off to listen to it.

(I had tons of holiday left to take...so why not.)

Which tracks are you guys most excited to hear?

For me, it's;

Walk To Dryden's

Family Stories

Maul's Call / Parting Ways

Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite (but preparing to be disappointed by this based off all the Shazam chat)

23 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I hope it's available at 00:01 on Friday in each locale. I have the day off to listen to it.

(I had tons of holiday left to take...so why not.)

For me, it's;

Walk To Dryden's

Family Stories

Maul's Call / Parting Ways

Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite (but preparing to be disappointed by this based off all the Shazam chat)

I think those are definitely the most exciting unreleased cues for me, too. Though thinking about it, I'm excited about all the new tracks! I'm also curious about Bunk/Proxima, as that's a really short cue in the film compared to the track time listed for the album.

And yeah, although I quite liked Rogue One, and would definitely defend its honour, I think Solo has this one in the bag.

Solo is 12 parsecs better than Rogue One. I like the latter's themes (yes, even the guilty pleasure Imperial Suite) and the finale from "Your Father Would Be Proud" on is phenomenal. Apart from that, Rogue One is merely average, if not boring. Solo is one of most entertaining scores I've ever heard. 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Just shy of 10 hours from now in AU. Under 8 hours for NZ.

Assuming it's a regional launch like most soundtracks, and not a global launch at the same time (like new episodes of the Mandalorian).

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

Absolutely the Hyperspace cue (forget the track title) and Parting Ways (the War Horse-esque finale with the theme on horns; gorgeous!)

I was going to say it'll probably be released at the same time everywhere, but then I remembered that the SW video game albums released this year all released at midnight in each timezone, so I'm starting to think that might end up being the case.

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I was going to say it'll probably be released at the same time everywhere, but then I remembered that the SW video game albums released this year all released at midnight in each timezone, so I'm starting to think that might end up being the case.

Yeah it could really go either way. Powell's Instagram countdown timer is the only thing giving me pause.

But fingers crossed. I have a VPN with an NZ server, so we'll know in around 6.5 hours. :)

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yeah it could really go either way. Powell's Instagram countdown timer is the only thing giving me pause.

But fingers crossed. I have a VPN with an NZ server, so we'll know in around 6.5 hours. :)

Let us know the verdict please, Crumbs! 😛

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I remembered that the SW video game albums released this year all released at midnight in each timezone

Which albums are these?

1000x1000bb.webp

1 Meet Han 2:21
2 Bunk / Proxima 3:10
3 Corellia Chase 3:34
4 Spaceport 4:09
5 Gonna Be A Pilot 0:30
6 Empire Recruitment 0:32
7 Mimban Battle 2:04
8 Blackmail 1:32
9 The Beast 2:37
10 Chewie Untamed 3:33
11 Surveying Conveyex 1:01
12 Deluxe Train Heist 10:21
13 Walk to Dryden 2:14
14 Chicken In The Pot feat. Baraka May & Reid Bruton 2:08
15 Han & Qi'ra Reunite 1:12
16 Stormtrooper JP-054 Karaoke feat. John Powell 2:08
17 Dryden's Patience Is Tested 5:30
18 Card Room 1:09
19 Sabacc Game 2:35
20 L3 & Millennium Falcon 3:17
21 Family Stories 1:59
22 Lando's Closet 2:10
23 Trust No One 1:17
24 Oksana Floren, Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa 4:28
25 Extra Deluxe Mine Mission 10:23
26 Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs 11:00
27 Savareen Tent 2:00
28 Enfys' Stand-Off 4:25
29 Qi'ra Knows A Bit More Than Han 2:14
30 Double-Double Cross 4:47
31 Dryden's Long, Long Fight 4:51
32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways 5:38
33 Lando's Jungle Room 1:02
34 Sabacc Rematch / To Tatooine 1:53
35 Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite 9:57

Total time: 2:03:41

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/solo-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1539560271

7digital have it up too in NZ (but only in MP3)

https://nz.7digital.com/artist/john-powell/release/solo-a-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture-soundtrackdeluxe-edition-13755784

So "End Credits" sounds like an editing job. A shame. The impression I had was it had been touted as something brand new we'd never heard before.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So Williams gets a credit on 7 tracks. That probably answers our questions.

Karol

Which ones are those tracks? I can only see his credit in "Gonna Be a Pilot".