John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

3 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Which ones are those tracks? I can only see his credit in "Gonna Be a Pilot".

See below, listed under Artist in Apple Music listing.

• Meet Han
  • Gonna Be a Pilot
  • Empire Recruitment
  • Family Stories
  • Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs
  • Maul's Call/Parting Ways
  • End Credits

Interestingly not credited on the track formerly known as Dice & Roll.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Right on cue!

image.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

Which ones are those tracks? I can only see his credit in "Gonna Be a Pilot".

Look again. :) The track you mentioned is solely his but there are 6 other ones where he's credited alongside Powell.

Karol

Just now, Jay said:

They wouldn't have to pay them again, it was on the OST. The fees are for new cues that weren't 

Ah that's something I didn't know. Thanks!

Karol

Mimban Battle seems a bit shuffled around, the Imperial March quote is longer and cooler than in the film, and the quote of the Gang theme when Han first sees Backett has epicTM choral backing(!)

Yea doesn't come up for me, but it will be on US youtube once its on US Spotify and US iTunes and everything else in about 15 hours or 18 hours or whatever the right hour is

Looks like the film version of Lando's Closet isn't included on this set, unless that was editorially created.

It's the OST track instead (likewise in the end credits).

Although I'm still very near the beginning, it's interesting to hear parts which were unused in the film, for example:

Bunk/Proxima - The entire Proxima scene was scored, but only the intro is used in the film. The unsued part contains the first appearance of the Marauder’s theme.

Gonna Be A Pilot / Mimban Battle - Edited together in the film. I'm not sure if the Imperial March section is longer on album or we've just never been able to hear it before as it's buried under SFX. The final portion of this cue went unused.

Blackmail - I don’t recall hearing Luke’s Theme and Qi’ra’s theme in the film. The first part of this might also be unused.

I'm sure there's a lot more to find as I go...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What's different about Lando's Closet in the film?

It's the same as heard in the Film Credits, if you have those to hand - I think it ends pretty abruptly

The music from the second half of this deleted scene hasn't been reinstated to Corellia Chase either, unless it's tracked from somewhere (I don't recognise it though)

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Blackmail - I don’t recall hearing Luke’s Theme and Qi’ra’s theme in the film. The first part of this might also be unused.

And I couldn't hear Luke's or Qi'ra's theme in there, but may have missed them. The Gang theme is in there a lot, though.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

What's different about Lando's Closet in the film?

Sorry, this is the best video I can find. But yeah, the film uses this shorter version in the scene itself and repeats it in the end credits.

Both appearances on the Deluxe re-use the OST version, sadly. But the full version is so much better, it's no huge loss.

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The music from this deleted scene hasn't been reinstated to Corellia Chase either, unless the music itself is tracked from somewhere (I don't recognise it though :()

This is all tracked. "Flying With Chewie" (now "Chewie Untamed") and "Blackmail".

5 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

And I couldn't hear Luke's or Qi'ra's theme in there, but may have missed them. The Gang theme is in there a lot, though.

Luke's Theme - 8 seconds in on the trumpet

Qi'ras Theme - 30 seconds in on strings

Hmm, I think the album would have flowed better if Empire Recruitment came after Spaceport, and then Gonna Be A Pilot and Mimbam Battle were combined into one track

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

This is all tracked. "Flying With Chewie" (now "Chewie Untamed") and "Blackmail".

Fantastic! Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not familiar with the unreleased music at all (only saw the film once).

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

This is all tracked. "Flying With Chewie" and "Blackmail".

Luke's Theme - 8 seconds in on the trumpet

Qi'ras Theme - 30 seconds in on strings

Damn, yep, great ear!

Very nice to wake up to all this good news! Can't wait to dig into this.

I don't suppose there's a more detailed set of liner notes or credits than what's offered in the iTunes artist column? I'm gratified to have near certain confirmation for our shared belief that Williams was behind "Parting Ways" and "Family Stories," but I'd like it be 100%. (I'm also curious if orchestrators, arrangers, and such are also given due on a cue-by-cue basis) 

14 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Do you know where this cool brass section is from, around :53? Can't find it in Blackmail.

7 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

I don't suppose there's a more detailed set of liner notes or credits than what's offered in the iTunes artist column? I'm gratified to have near certain confirmation for our shared belief that Williams was behind "Parting Ways" and "Family Stories," but I'd like it be 100%. (I'm also curious if orchestrators, arrangers, and such are also given due on a cue-by-cue basis) 

I can provide you that information from YouTube. The credits are extensive.

image.png

image.png

But no digital booklet or liner notes unfortunately. Such a shame because the score is so rich with ideas that it really deserves one. :(

It's around the place - in Bunk/Proxima, Oksana Floren, yadda yadda yadda and I think that's from Double Double cross, at 2:44? 

I was just building up a case to post here suggesting it's a motif, actually

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

@crumbs The brass thing you mention is what @Bofur01 mentions above. It's definitely on the expanded release. I'm not aware of any music in the deleted scenes that we don't now have available.

Sorry, I missed @Bofur01's post.

That little brass section is indeed from Double-Double Cross, timestamped here:

Of course, this video won't work for most posters for a few hours yet. :P

8 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

It's around the place - in Bunk/Proxima, Oksana Floren, yadda yadda yadda and I think that's from Double Double cross, at 2:44? 

I was just building up a case to post here suggesting it's a motif, actually

Nice! Time to add a new incidental motif to the list. Wonder what other motivic discoveries await. I'm sure there are more thematic easter eggs in here, aside from what's been hearable for a while now on the OST (ESB Droid Motif, March of the Resistance, Imperial Motif in numerous places, etc...)

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Holy crap.  Flying With Chewie (Chewie Untamed) has SO much more impact now, with tracks like Blackmail and The Beast leading it up it, instead of it just being the 5th high-action track in a row like it was on the OST. 

This album is so great so far!

I'm only as far as Flying with Chewie and I compeltely agree. Although the OST contained all the right material (as much action music as possible), it was action overkill without the more incidental cues.

Right, onto the first of these "deluxe" tracks (Train Heist). I wonder how this is going to be different from the 2 OST tracks. From what I recall, the OST versions are better than the film versions with the inserts.

You know what? I haven't been this excited about a new album in ages. Bless you, John Powell!

That heavily processed choir from the OST version of Train Heist has been totally revamped here, it now sounds like a natural choir recording! Specifically, the vocals that herald the arrival of Enfys Nest.

Overall a huge improvement in the mixing throughout this track. Just loving the more natural, orchestral mix on this set. It sounds so much less processed/enhanced than the OST.

I see no reason for Train Heist and Marauder's Arrive to be combined here. I imagine I'll have a similar problem with the other deluxe tracks later on. Think I'll make "unstuck" versions using the OST...

The orchestral performance absolutely shines in this new mix. Powell has hit this out of the park!

Compare this:

With this:

Also this:

With this:

Huge uptick in clarity too (albeit comparing compressed YouTube videos).

Such an improvement in the separation of elements on the Deluxe.