John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

So the finale wasn't Williams? Surprising! 

I asked him about the film version of Lando's Closet. I suspect he just chose the more musically interesting version (which is fine by me). Maybe the album ending was just an extension they recorded for the soundtrack. 

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

image.png

Great, this is fantastic that he revealed this!

So that means the tracks containing JW compositions written for this film are:

1 Meet Han 2:21

5 Gonna Be A Pilot 0:30

21 Family Stories 1:59

26 Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs 11:00

32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways 5:38

@BrotherSound does the sheet music jive with what Powell is saying here?

Powell just confirmed the album ending for Lando's Closet was recorded separately (so the film version is simply unreleased). 

Oh well. Would be nice to have the film version someday, along with all the other little inserts that didn't really fit. He just opted for the most musically satisfying presentation for this release and that's ok.

I guess anyone else with questions should ask him now. He's answering pretty quickly! 

3 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Are the chances for a physical release of this slim, or very slim?

All Powell has said is that no physical edition is currently planned.  Anything beyond that is pure conjecture.

We can speculate that maybe Mondo will be allowed to do a vinyl version.

We can speculate that maybe Intrada will be allowed to do a CD version.

But we have no idea until Powell or someone else tells us.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So the finale wasn't Williams? Surprising! 

Not so sure about that. I think Powell is only answering where was the unreleased music from William's demos.

Edit: oh, no, because he's answering also Meet Han. So yes, it seems that the ending was not Williams

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

We can speculate that maybe Mondo will be allowed to do a vinyl version.

Since Solo is the only Star Wars score not released on vinyl, I imagine they'd release the OST on vinyl before they'd do the deluxe edition.

Powell just said it was "mostly" him and his studio that pushed for this release. 

A bit disconcerting. Hopefully it doesn't mean JW SW expansions still aren't on Disney's radar... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Having not listened to it yet, is there anything unique in the credits at all? Or is it better to just omit it and replace with "Adventures Of Han"? ;)

A banging recording of the End Credits fanfare :P

Haven't started listening yet but super excited!! Also great to see what cues JW composed. 

One question: Does anyone know why Powell wrote "by JW" in parenthesis only twice in his list of demo cues? Does this mean 1m1, 4m27, and 5m33a included only Powell's own demos, not anything by Williams? 

image.png

Oof, the end credits just kinda ends too, no "big finish" at all.  I really don't get why he specifically chose to highlight this track several times.  It's really not even needed, Dice and Roll (er, To Tatooine) already provides a satisfying closure to the score.

The JW end credit opening is a great recording for sure, but then everything afterward is just stuff you've already heard, stitched together in a not particularly musical way.  Weird.

17 minutes ago, Will said:

Haven't started listening yet but super excited!! Also great to see what cues JW composed. 

One question: Does anyone know why Powell wrote "by JW" in parenthesis only twice in his list of demo cues? Does this mean 1m1, 4m27, and 5m33a included only Powell's own demos, not anything by Williams? 

It means 1M8 and 7M45 are entirely JW's demo cues, while 1M1, 4M27 and 5M33A contains portions of JW demo cues mixed in with his own stuff.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder which portions of Kessel Run John Williams wrote. Sure, the track includes material from Here They Come, but I imagine this is not what Powell was referring to... or was it?

Am guessing it's the big Han's theme quote near the end of Reminiscence Therapy which is straight out of The Adventures of Han

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder which portions of Kessel Run John Williams wrote. Sure, the track includes material from Here They Come, but I imagine this is not what Powell was referring to... or was it?

It's not what Powell was referring to, I don't think.

5M33A specifically refers to the cue "Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Monster", but we'll need @BrotherSound to tell us where in the track that particular cue appears

Powell provided this breakdown of the score. 

83% original John Powell

10% Powell adapting JW material

7% JW cues

7% is about 8 minutes of music in the final score then. That's quite substantial! I don't think only the 5 cues listed above would amount to 8 minutes? 

2 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Am guessing it's the big Han's theme quote near the end which is straight out of The Adventures of Han

I don't think so because that would be "5M33C    Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Landing"

Hmm, this is rather annoying: we know the end credits is nothing special now, however I was planning to merge To Tatooine with the End Credits intro and then end after the Family Stories segment (using that cue to provide a clean ending), but the end credits is in a different key. =/

Guess I'll continue to end with Dice & Roll/To Tatooine and then just add The Adventures Of Han back in.

There's been a correction

image.png

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Screenshot_20201120-044222_Instagram.jpg

Time to relabel "Beckett and Crew" theme to "The Gang" theme!

It's that "others" one that's going to keep me up now. Though we've already picked out a new motif just in the past few hours.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Powell provided this breakdown of the score. 

83% original John Powell

10% Powell adapting JW material

7% JW cues

7% is about 8 minutes of music in the final score then. That's quite substantial! I don't think only the 5 cues listed above would amount to 8 minutes? 

Can someone post a screenshot of Powell saying this?

5 minutes ago, carlborg said:

Say you wanted to burn this to 2 discs, where would be a good point to split?

In between Trust No One and Oksana Floren

1 minute ago, carlborg said:

Say you wanted to burn this to 2 discs, where would be a good point to split?

I was just thinking about this, and for me a good split point would be L3 & the Millenium Falcon, ending with that epic Enfys Nest Theme and then starting with Family Stories

2 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Time to relabel "Beckett and Crew" theme to "The Gang" theme!

It's that "others" one that's going to keep me up now. Though we've already picked out a new motif just in the past few hours.

So we've found that new brassy thing in Bunk/Proxima and a couple of other cues today.

The only other one I'm aware of is the Coaxium motif. Check the OST - it's most clearly heard at 3:45 into Mine Mission. From what I remember, it's also in Train Heist, and a couple of other cues in the DE.

JP updated his story to say that 5m32 included portions from JW, not 5m33a.

So he definitely means that the big statement of Han's theme in Reminiscence Therapy, from The Adventures of Han, was written by JW. Surprise, surprise!

10 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

JP updated his story to say that 5m32 included portions from JW, not 5m33a.

AHHA!  Great!

So it's definitely that big Han's theme in Reminiscence Therapy, from The Adventures of Han, then.

5M32 is the first cue in the track, so you're talking about the Han's Theme statement from 0:35-0:50?  Is that considered "big"?

I meant the parts starting with the transitional bits at 3:47 up until the rebel fanfare statement at 4:35. I think pretty much that entire segment is a bit of a combination of various ideas from TAOH.

But yeah, you could be right, it's difficult to know.