John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

The UK is not treated comparatively well on price with this - £22 for Flac from 7Digital, £21 on Qobuz, which is essentially the same as the US.

3 hours ago, DrTenma said:

I was thinking the same thing... I don't know why Powell hyped and even called the track "Super Extra Deluxe End Credits Suite" when it's just a copy-paste of other tracks. I like the re-recording of the fanfare but I was also expecting something like specific new arrangements of the cues or something like that. 

Thirded. I played it and waited for something new and interesting, and nothing came. It just sounds like an edit of some tracks, with the excerpt from Mine Mission cutting off just before it gets to those awesome chords.

Considering I also find the SW fanfare annoying these days, might just leave this off my playlist and put The Adventures Of Han in its place.

I also agree with previous comments that Maul's Call and Parting Ways would be better off separated. I like the whole track, but crossfading two cues that don't merge naturally... :eh:

I wish there was a longer version of Lando's Jungle Room. It has potential but doesn't have the time to develop. I'd buy a whole album of Powell's in-world music. It's just the right kind of quirky.

2 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I want to create a playlist on Spotify. Can anyone tell me which tracks to programme to avoid repeating music from the OST? 

This:

2 Bunk / Proxima 3:10
5 Gonna Be A Pilot 0:30
6 Empire Recruitment 0:32
7 Mimban Battle 2:04
8 Blackmail 1:32
9 The Beast 2:37
11 Surveying Conveyex 1:01
13 Walk to Dryden's 2:14
14 Chicken In The Pot feat. Baraka May & Reid Bruton 2:08
15 Han & Qi'ra Reunite 1:12
16 Stormtrooper JP-054 Karaoke feat. John Powell 2:08
17 Dryden's Patience Is Tested 5:30
18 Card Room 1:09
21 Family Stories 1:59
23 Trust No One 1:17
24 Oksana Floren, Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa 4:28
30 Double-Double Cross 4:47
32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways 5:38
33 Lando's Jungle Room 1:02

Note that track 14 is almost the same as the OST track, just with different vocals, and that tracks 30 and 32 each contain about a minute in them that was on the OST

Reminiscence Therapy sounds much better with this new mix. It was the most problematic track for me on the original album due to the heavy mixing. I could hear there was a good arrangement in there, it was just mixed to within an inch of its life. This lets the music breathe. I am very impressed.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I also agree with previous comments that Maul's Call and Parting Ways would be better off separated. I like the whole track, but crossfading two cues that don't merge naturally... :eh:

Indeed. I'm fine with the other long tracks but as many others have remarked those two tracks doesn't fit well together. I don't remember now if in the movie is like that or there's some silence between them.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

This:

2 Bunk / Proxima 3:10
6 Empire Recruitment 0:32
7 Mimban Battle 2:04
8 Blackmail 1:32
9 The Beast 2:37
11 Surveying Conveyex 1:01
13 Walk to Dryden's 2:14
14 Chicken In The Pot feat. Baraka May & Reid Bruton 2:08
15 Han & Qi'ra Reunite 1:12
16 Stormtrooper JP-054 Karaoke feat. John Powell 2:08
17 Dryden's Patience Is Tested 5:30
18 Card Room 1:09
23 Trust No One 1:17
24 Oksana Floren, Yadaa Yadaa Yadaa 4:28
30 Double-Double Cross 4:47
33 Lando's Jungle Room 1:02

Note that track 14 is almost the same as the OST track, just with different vocals, and that tracks 30 and 32 each contain about a minute in them that was on the OST

Thankyou very much Jay! 

Just now, ymenard said:

Just to be sure, is there any material from the 20-track original release that I would need to keep for a complete score?

Chicken in the Pot, one of the end cues with Qi-Ra's theme...

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Doesn't Maruders Arrive track contain different ending from the DE? I've heard this only once so perhaps I'm wrong.

Karol

Yes, the DE is the film version, the album version was unused.

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes, the DE is the film version, the album version was unused.

Partly film version, it lacks an insert.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Oh and of course Adventures of Han should be kept too!

Though maybe left in a compilation of JW concert arrangements (either exclusively Star Wars or in general)

I just tried to assemble something like that the other day actually. All concert arrangements, some more concert arrangement-like cues, Han and Galaxy's Edge, in IRL chronology order to show JW's evolution.

Just now, Holko said:

I just tried to assemble something like that the other day actually. All concert arrangements, some more concert arrangement-like cues, Han and Galaxy's Edge, in IRL chronology order to show JW's evolution.

@Pieter Boelen
Has a nice compilation too.

Did anyone else who got the version from HDTracks have the ending of the End Credits cut off abruptly with a loud hissing sound? If not I probably need to redownload it.

EDIT: It appears this is an issue on the last 3 of my tracks from HDT. I'll try redownloading and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Nevermind, redownloading fixed them!

On 11/20/2020 at 10:20 AM, DrTenma said:

Indeed. I'm fine with the other long tracks but as many others have remarked those two tracks doesn't fit well together. I don't remember now if in the movie is like that or there's some silence between them.

I just posted about this yesterday, here is what I had to say (the part in italics):

On 11/19/2020 at 5:13 PM, Jay said:

OK because I couldn't wrap my head around this is until I did it, here's how DE track 32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways breaks down

• [0:00-1:02] = Qi'Ra's conversation with Maul = the first part of 7M42B-43 Skype Showdown {7M42B}
  • [1:02-2:02] = Final closeup on QiRa's face and then transition to Beckett and Chewie approaching Han, and their dialogue until Han shoots him = the second part of 7M42B-43 Skype Showdown {7M43}, which was also on the OST in "Good Thing You Were Listening" from 0:00-1:03
  • (an intended pause as Beckett realizes he's been shot and falls down is removed from the DE; they elected to crossfade the previous cue with the next instead.  I wish they hadn't done this!  I would have preferred Maul's Call to be one track, and Parting Ways a separate track)
  • [2:02-2:39] = Han goes to Beckett and they say their final words to each other, and Beckett dies = first part of 7M44A-B Becket Departs {7M44A}
  • [2:39-3:39] = Han's theme on a closeup of Han's face as he looks up to see Qi'Ra flying around, the movie now cutting back and forth several times between Han looking up at her and Qi'ra looking out the ship's window = 7M44B Alt Qi’Ra Departs, which wasn't on the OST.  Instead, the OST contained the second part of 7M44A-B Becket Departs {7M4B?} in "Good Thing You Were Listening" from 1:03-end, which is a different rendition of the Qi'Ra theme
  • [3:39-end] = The final scene with Han and Enfys = 7M45 Parting Ways

And:

On 11/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, Jay said:

Sometimes it is great when an album producer elects to take some short cues and combine them in a track, to keep the pace and momentum moving forward when slowing doing and being choppy would be counter-productive.

Sometimes a climax, pause, and then continuation is part of the music. 

The climax we hear from 2:01-2:02 is the defining moment of the entire film, when Han kills Beckett in cold blood as Beckett does not expect it.  After that climax, a full fadeout, and moment of silence before the next cue begins would give that climax more weight.  Immediately crossfading into the next cue before the climax is even over robs the moment of its power.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:44 AM, Edmilson said:

Powell posted the booklet of the deluxe album:

Wow, that's great he posted that!

On 11/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, ymenard said:

Just to be sure, is there any material from the 20-track original release that I would need to keep for a complete score?

• The last 18 seconds of "Marauders Arrive" is slightly different than the last 18 seconds of "Deluxe Train Heist"
  • "Chicken In The Pot" features Baraka May only, while here it's a duet between Baraka May and Reid Bruton
  • "Good Thing You Were Listening", from 1:03-end, is 7M44B Alt Qi'Ra Departs, a revised ending of 7M44A-B Beckett Departs that did not get used in the film.  Beckett Departs is heard in its entirety in the DE track "Maul's Call / Parting Ways" from 2:02-3:39, and Qi'Ra Departs is an unused replacement for the part from 2:39-3:39
  • "The Adventures of Han" is not on the DE at all

That's is, apart from of course the fact that the entire OST is a completely different mix than the DE.

Gotta say, I really dig Powell’s use of electric guitar(?) in “Oksana Floren...”

A bit of spice to the classic Star Wars sound. 

Edit: Forgot about JWs use of guitar in “Chase through Coruscant” ;)

and of course The Mandalorian score is an entirely different animal.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't read all 72 pages so this may have been mentioned already but is there a list of the material that Williams himself wrote or did he just contribute those themes? 

Williams wrote a handful of demo tracks (demo generous - fully orchestrated and recorded with a full orchestra in LA).

Those were repurposed and rerecorded, presumably as-is, by Powell in London in the tracks he mentioned.

He adapted Williams' themes, including stuff written for this movie, throughout as well.

4 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

I haven't read all 72 pages so this may have been mentioned already but is there a list of the material that Williams himself wrote or did he just contribute those themes? 

On 11/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, Anthony said:

image.png

On 11/19/2020 at 12:53 PM, Bofur01 said:

JP updated his story to say that 5m32 included portions from JW, not 5m33a.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jay said:

So that means the tracks containing JW compositions written for this film are:

1 Meet Han 2:21

26 Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs 11:00

Just finished my first full listen. Smiling from ear to ear. I just can’t believe our luck that we got a John Powell Star Wars score! And that it was better than I could have hoped for. And he released an expanded version of it just for fun! (And maybe some money;)

The new mix is terrific. And the complete score really benefits from the quieter/“connecting tissue” that wasn’t released originally. I have to say from just this one listen, my favorite new pieces are:

Mimban Battle

Family Stories

Oksanna Floren

Mauls Call/ Parting Ways.

Out of curiosity, why do you think we bothered to remix it at all? Is he that in touch with some of  his fans who were disappointed in the initial recording? 

anyhoo, now to listen to Mando season 2 vol. 1 :)

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

Lando' Closet is still the lush passionate Love Theme reading (though already not being able to exist wihout Crimson Dawn sneaking in),

Don't you mean, Secrets?

transitioning to a high octane Main On End and a not great, not terrible credits medley.

Poor Nate U ;)

1 minute ago, igger6 said:

Is "Extra Deluxe Mine Mission" just "Mine Mission" plus "Break Out"?  Or is there something new in there?

Most of the cues with those "extra deluxe" in the title are just music that was already on the OST.

Believe it or not I wasn't able to listen to the album yesterday at all, so I'm just starting now! ROTFLMAO

I really like that unused portion of Bunk / Proxima! Kind of reminds me of something out of SotE. Also the harp riff at 1:38 referencing the string riff towards the end of Marauder's Arrive. I also noticed the bit when Proxima is revealed in considerably slower than in the film. They must have sped it up a bit to match the scene.

Time for track 3!

56 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't know how much of Extra Deluxe Mine Mission is new, but woah, that's a rollercoaster.  4:50 onwards is a great bit.

The DE track "Extra Deluxe Mine Mission" is just OST tracks "Mine Mission" and "Breakout" combined with a crossfade.

The particular moment you are talking about starting at 4:50 on the DE track is 0:45 of "Breakout" on the OST.  And holy hell, comparing the two, the brass sounds SO MUCH BETTER in the DE mix!

Has this been mentioned already? The film version of “Train Heist” has a little choral moment when they break open the safe(?) and see the coaxium for the first time. (you here it about 20 seconds into this clip.) 

It doesn’t seem to appear on the deluxe version...

Must have been a tiny insert.

Question!  The DE version of Chicken in The Pot lists "Baraka May & Reid Bruton" as the vocalists.  Which one of those was the OST vocalist, or was the OST vocalist a different, third person?

1 minute ago, WampaRat said:

Has this been mentioned already? The film version of “Train Heist” has a little choral moment when they break open the safe(?) and see the coaxium for the first time. (you here it about 20 seconds into this clip.) 

It doesn’t seem to appear on the deluxe version...

Must have been a tiny insert.

Yes, I brought that up. It's a short insert that JP said didn't feel the need to add. There were a couple other tiny overlays in this cue that aren't on the DE.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The DE track "Extra Deluxe Mine Mission" is just OST tracks "Mine Mission" and "Breakout" combined with a crossfade.

The particular moment you are talking about starting at 4:50 on the DE track is 0:45 of "Breakout" on the OST.  And holy hell, comparing the two, the brass sounds SO MUCH BETTER in the DE mix!

Ok cool. I never listened to the OST that much, so this expansion feels very fresh, musically.

I hear what you mean about the mix - what on earth must've happened mastering the OST for a score recorded a few years ago to sound this different?