John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

18 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Something which I don't recall seeing get discussed before is Battlefront 2. It came out in November 2017 - a good 6 months before Solo.

Now take a listen to the track Han's Kessel Run - https://soundcloud.com/gordyhaab/06-hans-kessel-run

1:03 onwards is the quite-but-not-quite version of the Solo theme. Does anybody know when Williams recorded his demos? I find it hard to believe this just happened by coincidence and assume Gordy Haab was "in" on what Williams and Powell were working on.

See here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27539-gordy-haabs-star-wars-battlefront-2-2017/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-1574233

17 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Rey's theme is the highlight of the whole trilogy. And while Kylo's theme can't compare with either Darth Vader's theme from Star Wars or The Imperial March it's remarkably effective. When it signaled Kylo's entrance at Disneyland's Jedi Academy you could hear people gasp. We knew who was next.

Kylo Ren's theme might be more effective to laymen if it had a suite/concert arrangement like the Imperial March does. He has like 4 themes/motifs doesnt he? It would be neat to have all his material wrapped up nicely in one piece of music

17 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Kylo Ren's theme might be more effective to laymen if it had a suite/concert arrangement like the Imperial March does. He has like 4 themes/motifs doesnt he? It would be neat to have all his material wrapped up nicely in one piece of music

Absolutely. The one missed opportunity in the sequels, considering how much development the theme received (especially after the major evolution that theme undertakes in TROS!)

Maybe if we're lucky JW will create a new concert suite in his spare time. I wouldn't mind a revised Rey's Theme either, now that her arc is complete (and he clearly has an affinity for Daisy and that theme more than Kylo's).

Well, yes.

1. The longer TFA programme to which I have been listening also has the film edits (and mix).
  2. I prefer the film mix over the OST mix. I know some think I exaggerate, but to me it is night and day.
  3. I don’t like the OST performances of the concert suites (prefer the Lockhart), so I don’t miss those.
  4. I just really like the FYC selection.
  5. Of course my ideal would be the unedited recordings; then I could recreate the FYC programme (without the edits), maybe taking the opportunity to curate it a bit.

well i do want to know.

I also still wonder how "hand on" JW was overlooking the rest of the score Powell wrote. Like did Powell ask for advice on orchestrations or maybe how he should write some cues with maybe JW "suggesting" note placement on the phone or something  or Powell showing his sketches and JW making suggestions?

Like I love the Love Theme in this score. The unreleased bits like Han and Qu'Ra Reunite really add some weigh to it .I know Powell wrote it but it also sounds like JW has a shadow over it !

Do you ever ask nicely for anything any more?

01 Meet Han - we don't know, but presumably all or just some portions of 0:37-end

05 Gonna Be A Pilot - the entire track

21 Family Stories -  we don't know, but presumably either 0:00-0:43 or 1:00-end... or both

26 Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs - we don't know, but presumably either 0:35-0:50 or some/all of 3:46-4:55, or both

32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways - the entire "Parting Ways" cue, which is the cue from 3:39-end

Actually, @BrotherSound might be able to tell us exactly

This is a normal discussion thread. Why would I say please when I ask a question.

Really, that type of comment makes it seem like I write my posts in some kind of off-putting , greedy and selfish manner and  makes me feel like I'm not really wanted on the forum even after 20 years of posting here.

I think Gonna Be A Pilot and Parting Ways are the only times Powell just re-recorded one of his demo cues with little or no alterations

I think the actiony stuff he took the gist of a demo cue but then there's extra Powell-isms on top and around that

But we don't really know any specifics until the demos get released one day or something, or the sheet music has precise information

Fine , so if that's what people think of me here I can take a break

3 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

All I see is someone playing victim after getting called out for being rude and impolite

Use of the please word is a culture thing. Where I live it's not common to use the equivalent phrase, and it's therefore not considered rude, but I try to use it where suitable when talking and writing in English, especially when communicating with people from the UK.

No-one responds as coldly as a Brit who didn't get his "please".

If anybody else knows more specifics or has different theories about different timestamps I'd love to read them :)

Didn't John Powell say that the only reason Williams gets a credit in Kessel Run track because they re-used some bits from older films? That's how I understood his comment anyway. Having said that, the section you highlight sound suspiciously like Williams. I love how Han theme plays against the woodwind action motif from Attacking the Star Destroyer and the 3:46-4:55 (with the exception of 4:04-4:12 segment) is a sequel era Williams on steroids. As for family stories, I think it's both.

Speaking of which, Parting Ways is a gorgeous cue. It's one of the score moments I wanted the most. I'm not surprised it's Williams.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Didn't John Powell say that the only reason Williams gets a credit in Kessel Run track because they re-used some bits from older films?

No, he didn't.  He said that about Empire Recruitment and End Credits.  On instagram he was specifically asked about the JW demos written in 2018, and he replied that 5M32 integrated some, and 5M32 is the cue from 0:00-6:09 inside the Kessel Run track (aka Reminiscence Therapy on the OST)

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 1.55.06 PM.png

Did he forget some?

Like the end of Dice and Roll? Didn't the cue sheets confirm it was JW and now it's not?  Because it really seems tacked on at end and sounds like JW. And what's with the odd fade out ending like it's some random portion of cue edited in there at the end?

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Having said that, the section you highlight sound suspiciously like Williams. I love how Han theme plays against the woodwind action motif from Attacking the Star Destroyer and the 3:46-4:55 (with the exception of 4:04-4:12 segment) is a sequel era Williams on steroids.

Yea I almost split it up mention different parts but then just changed it to that entire chunk

As for family stories, I think it's both.

The ending part for almost certain, I think

Speaking of which, Parting Ways is a gorgeous cue. It's one of the score moments I wanted the most. I'm not surprised it's Williams.

I'm surprised it wasn't on the OST!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, he didn't.  He said that about Empire Recruitment and End Credits.  On instagram he was specifically asked about the JW demos written in 2018, and he replied that 5M32 integrated some, and 5M32 is the cue from 0:00-6:09 inside the Kessel Run track (aka Reminiscence Therapy on the OST)

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 1.55.06 PM.png

Ah I must have misread it then. :)

Karol

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Did he forget some?

How could we possibly know?  I think we have to take him at his word.  He actually answered the question 2 different times and gave the same answer both times

image.png

Like the end of Dice and Roll? Didn't the cue sheets confirm it was JW and now it's not? 

Cue sheets?  I've never heard of any cue sheets or recording logs leaking.  What are you referring to?

Because it really seems tacked on at end and sounds like JW. And what's with the odd fade out ending like it's some random bit edited in there at the end?

It sounds weird because it was written to segue into the end credits, which it does in the film (but not on either album)

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Cue sheets?  I've never heard of any cue sheets or recording logs leaking.  What are you referring to?

well I don't remember but it was discussed a while back.  Something that basically confirmed JW wrote the end of dice and roll. It's in the original Solo thread

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

It sounds weird because it was written to segue into the end credits, which it does in the film (but not on either album)

odd, but even Williams recording sessions cue that are supposed to segue have some sort of ending .this one just stops with a quick fade out like should continue for a bit longer

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the original Solo thread

well it's somewhere!

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Like the end of Dice and Roll? Didn't the cue sheets confirm it was JW and now it's not?  Because it really seems tacked on at end and sounds like JW. And what's with the odd fade out ending like it's some random bit edited in there at the end?

I think many of us were fooled by this. In one of the early interviews, the score contains material that sounds like Powell but isn't (Meet Han), sounds like Williams and is Williams (Family Stories, Parting Ways) and stuff that sounds like Williams but isn't (To Tatooine). So it makes sense.

@Jay I understand KM's confusion. I also saw somewhere that Williams was credited on the final OST track. It might have been this.

Karol

I found what you're probably referring to:

On 7/21/2018 at 1:44 PM, PrayodiBA said:

20. Dice & Roll (1:54) 
      John Powell, John Williams

Full writing credit!

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1630

As the admin said,"I didn't credit here JW for every arrangements of his theme & old SW themes that can be heard throughout the score."

On 7/21/2018 at 2:12 PM, Locrius said:

My guess (as has been since I first heard the track) is that 1:10 till the end of "Dice & Roll" is pure Williams.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, Loert said:

It IS Williams.

Trust me.

There's two options

Option 1 is that 1:10-end of To Tatooine (Dice and Roll) is a Williams demo re-recorded, and Powell forgot when answering a direct question about Williams demos on instagram

Option 2 is that some guy typed the wrong info into a Zimmer website, and Powell was telling the truth on Instagram.

But it does have this brass flourish that sounds like only Williams can write at EXACTY 1.31 into Dice and Roll (the short transition into the Han theme)

I just realized there's a third option too: that Powell typed in the wrong cue number on instagram!

7M45 is Parting Ways.

Sabacc Rematch / To Tatooine is 7M47/7M48

Nobody thinks the "Sabacc Rematch" part of that track (7M47) is Williams, only the "To Tatooine" part (1:10-end) (7M48)

What if Powell accidentally typed 7M45 when he MEANT to type 7M48!?

We know he accidentally typed 5M33A when he meant to say 5M32 the first time he answered the question.  Maybe he made a second typo too?

Somebody should ask him on Instagram directly - in a nice way.  "Was it Parting Ways or To Tatooine that started as a Williams demo?" or something

this is what I mean exactly .The very short brass passage before the theme, and the rest of the cue is much more in line with the way it sounds in Adventures of Han than anything else in the score

I dunno about that.  The opening of Meet Han is a pretty straightforward rendition of Powell's Secrets theme