John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Nothing in Meet Han sounds like JW

I can't figure out what section in Meet Han could be from one of Williams' demos...

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I can't figure out what section in Meet Han could be from one of Williams' demos...

6 hours ago, Jay said:

presumably all or just some portions of 0:37-end

So here's a little discovery that was stuck in my head all day, and I just had to compare the tracks to see if there was any substance to this theory.

You all be the judge:

Mimban Battle (0:59)

Beggar's Canyon Chase (0:10)

Veiled reference to McNeely's score, or the inevitable coincidence of two different composers attempting to emulate JW's Star Wars action scoring?

On 12/5/2020 at 11:22 AM, MrJosh said:

My guess is that 1M1 is made up of Williams demo material (re-recorded in London by JP) with added percussion, etc. -- similar to his treatment of Williams' TIE Fighter music during the Kessel Run sequence.

6 hours ago, fommes said:

The ending of the OST track "Good Thing You Were Listening", is that the ending of "Beckett Departs", or is that the ALT Qi-Ra Departs?

This contains everything we know about both albums

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fcd5KxqAJO0dgQ8y1sHfd0o9eCeTSF7sbNFWORc805o/

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

The OST is Alt Qi'Ra Departs.

Kinda glad they went with the film version tbh even if this ties in nicely with Spaceport.

It's insanely meh, desaturatedly bland looking at best and incomprehensibly dark at worst, suffering from a terrible case of prequelitis.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's fun escapism. If you want more than that, look beyond Star Wars.

This makes no sense.

A movie can be either good or bad, or stuck in the middle - be it Star Wars or not.

No need to look beyond anything.

Edit: Except beyond this movie maybe!

Anyone else actually like this film?

Multiple unpopular opinion time: I liked it more than the original. Same goes for the score. (anyone shocked by that is not aware of my general lack of attachment to Star Wars music in general)

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

As good as the music is, it’s a shame it’s attached to such a stinker

That's the way I've felt about TEMPLE OF DOOM and JAWS 2 for years. Fantastic music. Horrible movies.

2 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

It's my favorite Disney Star Wars movie pretty easily. 

Interesting! I find a lot more to love in TFA and the last third of Rogue One, even though I do have some problems with both of those.

Regarding Solo, it’s interesting how all

the components are there to make up a good movie - a great one even - but it doesn’t really deliver.

For sure, one of the things that are consistently great from start to finish is the score.

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Anyone else actually like this film?

Multiple unpopular opinion time: I liked it more than the original. Same goes for the score. (anyone shocked by that is not aware of my general lack of attachment to Star Wars music in general)

Is there an original Solo movie?

13 hours ago, rough cut said:

No need to look beyond anything.

OK, watch it again then. :P

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

Regarding Solo, it’s interesting how all

the components are there to make up a good movie - a great one even - but it doesn’t really deliver.

That’s exactly how I feel about Rogue One.

4 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

That’s exactly how I feel about Rogue One.

Me too...until the third act, when it suddenly all comes together to create one of my favorite Star Wars end battles.

Is there an English translation for the Enfys Nest theme choir, or is it just syllables Powell picked that sounded good?

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

R1 is at least more visually interesting than the brown/dark aesthetics of Solo. But both movies are very flawed.

That's a fair point.

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

R1 is at least more visually interesting than the brown/dark aesthetics of Solo. But both movies are very flawed.

That ain't hard at all, though I'd agree. With that said, Rogue One is super bland and ugly looking too.

The Force Awakens is easily my favorite one. It ignited a love in Star Wars that I simply didn't feel when I saw the originals or prequels for some reason. I didn't grow up on them and only saw them in college and just felt a bit of a disconnect. Again, I don't fully know why, but Force Awakens grabbed me. It's a bit inexplainable on my end.

I liked Rogue One as well. It's no masterpiece, but it's good. I enjoyed it.

I actually like Solo a lot more than Rogue One. I think the score is really excellent, I think it's visually beautiful (but let's not get into the "it's too dark" debate. I disagree. The end.) and once you get past the lack of resemblance to Harrison Ford it's a pretty great action film! It's also no masterpiece, but it might be my number two behind TFA with Rogue one followed closely behind.

And somewhere down the line is Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, or if it's been discussed already, but why isn't The Adventures of Han in the Deluxe Edition? It seems to me such a preposterous omission. At least it should've been included at the very end. I guess the idea of this release is showcase more of Powell's great work for this film, but not including the main concert arrangement of the main theme, composed by none other than JW is befuddling.

I suppose it must have something to do with distribution rights and such, but still... 

Just now, Madmartigan JC said:

I suppose it must have something to do with distribution rights and such, but still... 

I believe it's to do with that, and also that the DE is supposed to represent the music as composed for the film, which of course doesn't actually feature The Adventures Of Han either.

Of course it's been discussed. 

No one here knows the answer. All we can do is speculate. 

Maybe Powell didn't want it on his album. Maybe JW didn't want it on this album. 

Maybe it was just easier to license the London recordings and not the LA recording done with Union musicians. 

Who knows