John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Zimmer will probably score Patty Jenkins' Star Wars movie, and probably won't have the help of John Williams, like Powell did.

The Zimmer haters may start despairing now.

I'm not looking forward to all the terrible SW scores we'll have to endure in the near future, with so many projects being worked on. I just hope they get a decent composer for the Obi-Wan show at least. 

I reckon the non-Williams Potter ones, given how absolutely decimated some of those get in terms of reception. Though I figure we could whittle it down to just Hooper, given Doyle and Desplat tend to get acknowledged more favorably in that respect.

I dunno, I'm not even close to as big a Giacchino fan as some on the board (I run hot and cold on him), but for a while there it really was impossible to have a thread conversation about Gia without having to sift through a lot of negativity and roasting of him and his music.

Actually someone should make a big poll of every major composer with options "He rocks!" or "He sucks!" for each of them. Then we'll have solid data on how many JWFans really do hate Gia and Zimmer, or if it just feels like everyone hates them.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Sorry @Raiders of the SoundtrArk, JWFan has a strong contingent of BIG Mandalorian score fans and we're not shy about it! ;) 

I know... :shakehead:

But all opinion are welcomed ;)

On 7/26/2017 at 2:59 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm assuming this is going to be an adventure film and the thought of Powell writing a rousing adventure theme for Han Solo is very exciting.

I wonder what a theme by Powell would have sounded like.

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Cool! Some things just have to be done old school, not striped.

This video also provides us with a clean (albeit mono) ending for this bit right?

On 4/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, mstrox said:

I’m at the point now that I wouldn’t mind seeing what Zimmer would do in the Star Wars world, given the right project.  With Giacchino and Powell and especially Ludwig’s work, the edges are already blurred for what it means to be a Star Wars score, even if you don’t consider the animated/video game work.  Someare great, some less so.  (Id more prefer that Powell become the new house composer if Williams isn’t interestsd, but whatever).

Hope we can avoid having a house composer at all. Makes it a lot easier to be open to new takes, even if they're horrible. I'd love another Powell Star Wars score but I definitely don't want to see anybody just making themselves at home right away...I feel like only a hack would want to be the next "official" Star Wars guy, anyway. 

I wonder, how is that williams has not power enough to force a william ross score in a star wars film?

He seems his.most preferred candidate... :/

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I wonder, how is that williams has not power enough to force a william ross score in a star wars film?

He seems his.most preferred candidate... :/

Not sure about Ross, but I believe Gustavo Dudamel would be an interesting composer for Star Wars.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not sure about Ross, but I believe Gustavo Dudamel would be an interesting composer for Star Wars.

Giving all the future projects on this franchise, both could/should be hired

Instagram embeds are working again?

Also: I love that Powell used a #makesolo2happen hashtag.  Yes please!

I dunno, I’m Star Warsed out right now.

I've had my fill and haven’t been bothered to watch anything since ROS.

At this point JunkieXL could become the in-house composer for Lucasfilm & score everything and I wouldn’t care.

I agree with more Solo, although I’m sure some don’t (when I started typing this an hour ago before I got sidetracked, I coulda predicted Stu’s response ;) )!  I thought Solo was good fun, and I’d love to see some of the new characters like Q’ira and Enfys Nest explored in more depth.  The fact that they haven’t popped up much or at all in books, comics, etc. in any meaningful way means to me that they’ll probably pop up again elsewhere - maybe the Lando D+ series, Book of Boba (Q’ira) and/or maybe Enfys in the republic commandos show that is presumably missing a female lead now.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd rather Powell just get hired for a different Star Wars thing than see a sequel to that movie.

I’d rather see him score an interesting movie. 

11 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I can count on one hand the number of movies Powell has scored that I actually care for as movies.

The first two Bourne movies, Solo, Evolution, Face/off…well, whahaddya know!  Same here!  The guy’s his generation’s Jerry Goldsmith.

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can count on one hand the number of movies Powell has scored that I actually care for as movies.

You haven't even seen the HTTYDs! (iirc)

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I'd rather see him doing ANY movie, whether is animation, super-hero, Star Wars, kaiju, video game, etc. I just wish to see his name attached to something, unless it's one of those boring techno-thrillers Bourne style.

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Hmm, do you mean conductor? Dudamel's never composed anything.

4 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Hmm, do you mean conductor? Dudamel's never composed anything.

Actually, he did composed at least one score that I know:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2014/08/19/the-liberator-gustavo-dudamel/

It's an outstanding score, actually, I recommend it.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, he did composed at least one score that I know:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2014/08/19/the-liberator-gustavo-dudamel/

It's an outstanding score, actually, I recommend it.

Yeah! I remember Gustavo mentioned somewhere that he asked Johnny for advice regarding this particular project.

Anyone have a better album artwork for the deluxe edition? I don't like the art included. Doesn't help that the OST has one of my favorite posters recently.

Oh yes, many great covers were posted here. Either in this thread, or the Custom Star Wars Covers thread

• 3 months later...

The real question is if it will be entirely Powell material, or a blend of Powell's and Williams's