John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

• 8 months later...

Ooh, Rat Race and Rio 2 suites. Two scores I would never have thought would be performed in concert.

I do hope this means they were recorded for a Vol 2 suites album.

8 hours ago, rough cut said:

“Lando’s Closet”… horrible title.

It really is, isn't it?  I suppose it follows "Lando's Palace", but wow that looks odd on a concert program.

I hope both of these suites get a proper recording.  Even more, I hope Powell sits down and revisits Chewbacca's theme and makes a concert piece out of it, maybe mingling it with Han's theme or something.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

There was a period of months not long after the movie came out where I listened to the OST album in full more than once per week. It was the perfect length for the drive between myself and my now wife. I NEVER got tired of listening to it. It is so expertly crafted I still feel like I'm not done listening to it. 

Same here. In those first few weeks after it came out (with the film still fresh in my mind too) I simply found every second of it an utter joy.

It's incredible how Powell integrates Williams' Solo theme into his cues, he really makes it his own. To the point where I'd otherwise believe it was Powell's all along.

I agree that Powell takes JW's theme and manipulates it so much it sounds like it could have been his own theme, and also it fits right in with all of his other themes perfectly

In terms of liking the score right away, I still think the OST program did a disservice to the score, but the Deluxe Edition program is perfect

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I actually would add Powell's Dragon trilogy to that.

I don't think before 2010 when the first film came out anyone would have thought that a trilogy of score THAT good would come out of an animated film.

To me those scores are his crowning achievement. And if he ever tops that in any way, I would be mightily impressed

Ya know what? I agree 100%!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I agree that Powell takes JW's theme and manipulates it so much it sounds like it could have been his own theme, and also it fits right in with all of his other themes perfectly

In terms of liking the score right away, I still think the OST program did a disservice to the score, but the Deluxe Edition program is perfect

I always thought it was a great program, the only momentum killer was "The Good Guy". 

Like most Star Wars scores 2018 and earlier, the full score is always better. I know others might disagree, but I almost always listen to the most expanded Star Wars Williams, Powell, even Giacchino scores possible.

It's ironic how in an era of much more flexibility in music releases, what with digital, there are fewer and fewer scores that justify a full release as opposed to a curated hour long OST presentation. 

The problem with the OST album was it contained almost all the action music there is, leaving little room for the emotional, scene-setting, and plot-advancing music, leaving things imbalanced.  The complete score is perfectly balanced!

That's a fair point. It was great music for highway driving, but I did want a little more of the love theme. I figure that is what The Good Guy was there for. It was where it was to break up two tracks of the mine action music and two tracks of Kessel Run over the top music. 

15 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

This section in “Corellia Chase”  (1:34-1:55) is probably still my favorite moment in the score (in a score chalk full of favorite moments) The string counterpoint dancing all around the Solo theme is just pure adventurous bliss! (PS- I believe Batu Sener helped with this cue!)

That cue has some of the most fun brass writing I've ever heard. The whole score does, in fact.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

This section in “Corellia Chase”  (1:34-1:55) is probably still my favorite moment in the score (in a score chalk full of favorite moments) The string counterpoint dancing all around the Solo theme is just pure adventurous bliss! (PS- I believe Batu Sener helped with this cue!)

That's my favorite moment in the entire score too! I wish there were more of it!

Yavar

I agree, the score kinda drops off a bit after that sequence (and honestly it's not my favorite music sequence because it's just remixing Williams for the most part). Might be a 4.5/5 score for me due to that, but it's still amazing.

Yavar

The biggest flaw of the score is for me, that it doesn’t have a proper end titles suite. I wished Powel would once create a concert suite from the score. 
But I think, the only piece that got performed in concerts apart from Williams‘ Adventures of Han is Powel’s Mine Mission.

26 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think this was posted here at the time but Powell shared a bunch of clips from the recording sessions on his Instagram and rehearsing this bit with the strings/woodwinds was one of them, really cool

Imagine not hiring this guy for another SW job

I don't see the connection between how good or bad or interesting a film is and how great of a score we'll get from Powell

I haven't even seen most of the movies he's scored and I like a lot of his scores

The real question is: Which ending of the Train sequence do you prefer? The last 18 seconds or so are different on each.(Marauders Arrive 4:55- End)

(Deluxe Train Heist (9:53-End) 

Gotta say I prefer the OST ending😊The film version just kinda just ends (probably to make way for the sound of the exploding mountain)