John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

21 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I would pay seriously good money to see HD video of the entirety of TLJ's recording sessions, as conducted by Williams, from an angle like this. Obviously with the same sound quality as heard in the booth though.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

At 1.19 of Break Out

is that the Star Wars Main Title opening fanfare? That would be the first time it's used in a  score

5 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Yep.

There is a very quick quote of few chords of the Main Title theme in Corellia Chase too at around 3:15-3:17.

Is this the Imperial theme? The brass in Spaceport at 1:04 

Also, the list is great. One question, would it make sense to distinguish between Han Searching A and B section?

On 6/4/2018 at 2:32 PM, GiacchinoCues said:

There are a few themes heard in Is This Seat Taken? not included on that list.

0:10 Han (Hero)

0:25 Han (Hero)

0:35 Gang

0:45 Enfys Nest

1:19 Han (Hero)

1:46 Han (Hero)

Also, the Rebel fanfare is teased throughout, with these being potential quotes

:59-1:17

1:48-2:11

--

:31 also seems to be a hint but probably doesn't count.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not in the leitmotivic sense, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make note of where the B-phrase is used.

The leitmotivic sense is beside the point (I believe that was a discussion that's been had). I just mean usually you'd see a distinction made between Rey's theme A, Rey's theme intro, Rey's theme B, etc. in write ups like this.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:22 PM, Chen G. said:

Not in the leitmotivic sense, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make note of where the B-phrase is used.

B-phrase for the ANH Imperial theme?

It’s a short motif - it doesn’t have a B-phrase.

It has various accompaniments, which often extend over the statement of the motif, but not a B-phrase.

Yeah, I mean, I get why you'd do choir, special instruments and/or percussion separately, but every section of the orchestra?

Just got back from seeing the film and was disappointed by the mix of the score in some major moments. One of the biggest statements of Han's theme in Reminiscence Therapy is ruined by the bloody sounds of the Falcon drifting on the meteor! 

5 hours ago, BTR1701 said:

I very much disagree. When music is recorded in separate chunks that way, it sounds 'wrong' to me. I can never put my finger on exactly what is off, but it doesn't sound like an orchestra should. It doesn't sound like a real performance by a full orchestra.

Your face is wrong!

is it possible that the "secret/Crimson Dawn" motif, especially in this moment:

(the  bass/cello (?)  to further accentuate it)

is DELIBERATELY inspired by Duel Of The Fate? ( we already know that the story has everything to do with that)

Perhaps?

23 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Would it be horrid to say this is my favorite non-animation Powell score?

It is his best score besides HTTYD to me.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

Your bowels are too whimsical for a coherent pooping experience!

Wrong thread Kasey! ;)

Is it just me overthinking in retrospect, or does the Enfys Nest action theme have a hint of struggle and desperation to it instead of being full-on frightening like the Enfys Appears motif?

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Would it be horrid to say this is my favorite non-animation Powell score?

I adore it too, but I probably like The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Italian Job just as much TBH.

https://www.starwars.com/video/easter-eggs-on-the-solo-a-star-wars-story-set-and-composer-john-powell

There's a bit of Powell in here. A small interview and clips of recording.

It starts around 3:49.

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Powell has put up a Facebook poll for more videos of scenes being scored, if anyone wants to participate

By "score video" I am sure he means video with scrolling score as he did a poll like that before.

I am voting Into the Ma....oh. :( Marauders Arrive it is!

It's very Powell-esque. In PAN he starts the score with what sounds like a simple melody on the piano, and then in the final act he does this:

And you realise just how a) versatile the original melody is and b) how good Powell is at fitting his themes into different contexts.

Btw, anyone else found that The Asteroid Field just sounds wrong now? I keep expecting the music to break midway through that final trumpet segment!

I can't put my finger on what sounds so familiar about the theme appearing at 1:22 into 'Into the Maw'. I want to say it sounds a lot like something from Jurassic Park but I'm not sure. Anybody got any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I can't put my finger on what sounds so familiar about the theme appearing at 1:22 into 'Into the Maw'. I want to say it sounds a lot like something from Jurassic Park but I'm not sure. Anybody got any ideas?

March of the Resistance B section?

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Why, it's the sound of John Powell begging to be hired for Jurassic World 3!

I'd be ok with that

wow, i just realized,

Now i know that this statement is when qira did a heroic thing by throwing grenades to kessel baddies; (3:57-4:07)

now what i realized,

that statement is actually a unique variation of the love theme. or is it? if not, then Actually it is similar to Love theme's other (secondary?) motif:

7 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

wow, i just realized,

Now i know that this statement is when qira did a heroic thing by throwing grenades to kessel baddies; (3:57-4:07)

now what i realized,

that statement is actually a unique variation of the love theme. or is it? if not, then Actually it is similar to Love theme's other (secondary?) motif:

I don't hear it as the love theme. But it does appear previously in Train Heist (2:57):

So it is just a part of the Gang theme.

The other day I was defending Rogue One. Someone was talking about how they liked Powell using that SW 1977 Imperial theme in Train Heist. And I was like...

Now hold on just a second:

EDIT: Just to confirm, Solo>Rogue One score wise. But Rogue One's not all bad.

51 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I just don't think Giacchino was suited for Star Wars. As he's proven recently, he's a much more comfy fit for Jurassic. 

The only thing that's superbly comfy fit for Giacchino is Pixar, imo

Anyway almost 2 minutes of scoring session has just been released:

Well, they recorded all instryments altogether.

I'd say he fits very well with Marvel and Star Trek as well (and lets not even emtnion LOST, sure)

and for SW I did like his Krennic theme, but I like a lot more of Powells themes

This score is really growing on me. I’ll listen to something else, then find myself humming something and think, what’s that? It’s Solo!

I’m 100% convinced that “The Adventures of Han” should be listened to at the end. When I’m listening to Solo I always want to begin with “Meet Han.”

On the other hand, this way it functions as an overture, before the score proper begins. Or you can always set the album on loop, that way it doesn't really matter ;)

There are CDs where I get the impression that this is intentional - Jackman's Uncharted 4 is another example, ending on a swell that would lead perfectly into track 1 again.

A partial loop is the best, where you take the disc out after it played Adventures again. Therefore, it's both an overture and the credits the presentation sorely lacks - the finale is just a big punch.