John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

1 minute ago, Bofur01 said:

I meant the parts starting with the transitional bits at 3:47 up until the rebel fanfare statement at 4:35. I think pretty much that entire segment is a bit of a combination of various ideas from TAOH.

But yeah, you could be right, it's difficult to know.

That isn't 5M33A by that point in the track?  We need @BrotherSound

22 minutes ago, scallenger said:

I'm thinking of leaving the end credits track in and just starting the whole program off with "Adventures of Han" just like the OST did.

same

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

That isn't 5M33A by that point in the track?  We need @BrotherSound

Just had a look at the spreadsheet. In the film, the TIE chase lasts as long as the whole "Reminiscence Therapy" track, and the Monster only appears at the start of "Into the Maw".

So I think that 5M32 is "Reminiscence Therapy", and 5M33A-C are "Into the Maw".

It definitely checks out from a film PoV.

5M32 Kessel Run Pt. 1 - TIE Chase
5M33A Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Monster
5M33B Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Maw
5M33C Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Landing

I've asked the following question on Instagram (whether we'll get a response...), but there's a part of the OST track Good Thing You Were Listening that is unused in the movie and isn't on the DE.

It's the part from about 1:03 to the end that has a big, dramatic version of Qi'ra's theme. I have no idea what it was intended for. It sounds like it could have been for a scene where Qi'ra betrays Han earlier on instead of Beckett.

8 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Just had a look at the spreadsheet. In the film, the TIE chase lasts as long as the whole "Reminiscence Therapy" track, and the Monster only appears at the start of "Into the Maw".

So I think that 5M32 is "Reminiscence Therapy", and 5M33A-C are "Into the Maw".

It definitely checks out from a film PoV.

5M32 Kessel Run Pt. 1 - TIE Chase
5M33A Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Monster
5M33B Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Maw
5M33C Kessel Run Pt. 2 - Landing

Ahhhhhhhhh ok that explains a lot!

Spreadsheet fixed!

Someone snapped a picture of the first 2 pages of the concert arrangement and posted it to Facebook, before the track had debuted anywhere.  Then, someone embedded the Facebook post into this thread.  Then, Powell's team got the post removed from Facebook, and asked me to remove the pictures from here too.

Anyways, I'm talking about ALL the sheets to ALL the cues.  You know, what one would need to know when within each track one cue ends and the next begins

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27580-john-powells-solo-a-star-wars-story-2018-deluxe-edition-release-coming-november-2020/&do=findComment&comment=1739973

Absolutely loving it so far... and yes, the more natural sound field is a significant improvement. It sounds like JP has kinda realised that the somewhat over-processed mixing style he has employed on some of his scores (particularly the more, shall we say, symphonic ones), doesn't show them to their best advantage. Only complaint (there must be one), the "Deluxe Edition" banner on the artwork. Otherwise cool.

Love that JP is so up for answering the nerdiest of nerdy questions. Can you imagine any of our other favourite film composers doing that?! I suspect Jerry would have told everyone to eff off... bless him.

It's just an alternate, an alternate, I tell you!

On the OST, it's "Good Thing You Were Listening" 1:04-2:06, whereas in the film, it's replaced by "Maul's Call/Parting Ways" at 2:39-3:39.

Wow. This release really does sound phenomenal. It's a similar experience to listening to the LLL Potter set in that it's almost like hearing it for the first time all over again. Going to have to listen again before I post my personal highlights, but the first listen is going wonderfully. :D

I really hope this does well and perhaps a similar treatment can be done for some of Powell's other scores, not to mention the rest of Star Wars from Disney.

Decided to compare the ending OST cues to the DE just to be sure of everything

OST 14 The Good Guy [0:00-1:50] = DE 27 Savareen Tent

OST 14 The Good Guy [1:50-3:58] = DE 29 Qi'ra Knows A Bit More Than Han (slightly shortened)

OST 14 The Good Guy [3:58-end] = DE 30 Double-Double Cross [3:04-end] (slightly shortened)

OST 17 Savereen Stand-off = DE 28 Enfys' Stand-off

OST 18 Good Thing You Were Listening [0:00-1:03] =DE 32 Maul's Call [1:02-2:02] 

OST 18 Good Thing You Were Listening [1:03-end] = not on the DE anywhere

OST 19 Testing Allegiance [0:00-1:11] = DE 31 Dryden's Long, Long Fight [0:00-1:11]

OST 19 Testing Allegiance [1:11-end] = DE 31 Dryden's Long, Long Fight [1:42-end]

Sweet, that explains that!

Going by this post then I must assume that the OST version is the end of 7M44A-B Becket Departs, while the film/DE version is the new cue 7M44B Alt Qi'Ra Departs

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Great, this is fantastic that he revealed this!

So that means the tracks containing JW compositions written for this film are:

1 Meet Han 2:21

5 Gonna Be A Pilot 0:30

21 Family Stories 1:59

26 Kessel Run In Less Than 12 Parsecs 11:00

32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways 5:38

@BrotherSound does the sheet music jive with what Powell is saying here?

Apple Music lists Empire Recruitment (1M9) as also being Williams. Based on the fact that the other tracks Powell mentioned line up with Apple Music (“John Powell & John Williams” or in the case of 1M8, just “John Williams”), should we perhaps assume that Williams did in fact had a hand in 1M9 as well?

No - the entire track is just Darth Vader's theme, meaning from a compositional standpoint it is entirely composted by John Williams, even though it was obviously a completely new arrangement done by Powell (or Sener or Willis or whoever).

Powell already told us which 5 tracks contain the new material JW wrote in 2018, all other instances of old JW themes are Powell's team rejiggering them

36 minutes ago, Brando said:

I thought you guys would want to see these answers to these questions, not sure if you guys already picked up on them though.

89B20DEE-D3DE-4C55-9D15-E08BD5D1061D.png

E9AAD004-8700-4EC5-B28A-0342F65CEC38.png

Wow is that easy to miss! 

I bet there's still more he hasn't told us about. 

1 minute ago, TheAvengerButton said:

I'm going to assume that you guys got copies of this off of the Illuminati Deep Web Black Market using your shady connections because I can't find this released anywhere.

Ah, well. I'm sure I'll find i tomorrow.

This is an international website.  It's already Friday for many members, even though it may not be in your country yet.

4 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

I'm going to assume that you guys got copies of this off of the Illuminati Deep Web Black Market using your shady connections because I can't find this released anywhere.

Ah, well. I'm sure I'll find i tomorrow.

JWFan is a storefront for shady business.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

When I buy this thing, the first thing I'm gonna do is get rid of those cue numbers

Lol. One of the first things I do with releases is add the cue numbers if they're available. 

So overall John Williams wrote less material than I expected. In some cases Powell's imitation had me fooled. If the only reason Williams gets credit on Reminiscence Therapy is because some material from old scores got recycled then that means some of the awesome Williams-esque writing in the second half of that cue is just Powell. Very impressed.

Karol

OK because I couldn't wrap my head around this is until I did it, here's how DE track 32 Maul's Call / Parting Ways breaks down

• [0:00-1:02] = Qi'Ra's conversation with Maul = the first part of 7M42B-43 Skype Showdown {7M42B}
  • [1:02-2:02] = Final closeup on QiRa's face and then transition to Beckett and Chewie approaching Han, and their dialogue until Han shoots him = the second part of 7M42B-43 Skype Showdown {7M43}, which was also on the OST in "Good Thing You Were Listening" from 0:00-1:03
  • (an intended pause as Beckett realizes he's been shot and falls down is removed from the DE; they elected to crossfade the previous cue with the next instead.  I wish they hadn't done this!  I would have preferred Maul's Call to be one track, and Parting Ways a separate track)
  • [2:02-2:39] = Han goes to Beckett and they say their final words to each other, and Beckett dies = first part of 7M44A-B Becket Departs {7M44A}
  • [2:39-3:39] = Han's theme on a closeup of Han's face as he looks up to see Qi'Ra flying away, the movie now cutting back and forth several times between Han looking up at her and Qi'ra looking out the ship's window = second half of  7M44A-B Beckett Departs {7M4B}, which wasn't on the OST.  Instead, the OST contained an unused alternate for it, 7M44B Alt Qi'Ra Departs, in "Good Thing You Were Listening" from 1:03-end
  • [3:39-end] = The final scene with Han and Enfys = 7M45 Parting Ways

1 minute ago, Spider-Fal said:

Well, its possible some JW stuff didn't make it into Powell's score.

I doubt it, but still.

Didn't he say in one interview (or several) that all of it was used in the film? The article on the official SW website said Williams wrote about half dozen short pieces. Seems to compute.

Karol

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

they elected to crossfade the previous cue with the next instead.  I wish they hadn't done this!  I would have preferred Maul's Call to be one track, and Parting Ways a separate track)

I completely agree. Maul's Call isn't actually as interesting as I remembered, so I'll probably ditch this one from my playlist. "Gonna Be A Pilot" is in the same key as "Parting Ways". In the absence of a clean opening on PW, it's possible to do a semi-good job transitioning from the former into the latter and end up with a separate PW track.

He could have called the first track "Maul's Call / Han Shoots First" and the next track "Qi'Ra Departs / Parting Ways"

That's what I'll probably do if the crossfade isn't too hard to undo