John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Would love for them to revive the idea of this as a trilogy, but first they would need to rehabilitate the first movie, maybe a new cut? Bring back Lord/Miller? Make it easier to see? Nix all the worst fanservice, like the cringey “Solo” name origin story?

I think overall the Solo OST was good, but what a dissservice to the listening experience to end the way it did (not re: the winding down of the movie, but the way the last track of the album just kind of peters out with the dice game music).  The super fancy deluxe end credits may be a patchwork of other stuff, but at least it’s an ending.

47 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

That reminds me.. Seems like the Lando show has been scrapped? Wonder if it will ever get off the ground

Donald Glover hinted at it still being in the works a few months ago, so I’d say no news is good news at this point.

4 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

That reminds me.. Seems like the Lando show has been scrapped? Wonder if it will ever get off the ground

Ah shame. Would have been a great opportunity to bring back Powell and/or Sener.

10 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Would love for them to revive the idea of this as a trilogy, but first they would need to rehabilitate the first movie, maybe a new cut? Bring back Lord/Miller? Make it easier to see? Nix all the worst fanservice, like the cringey “Solo” name origin story?

I wonder if there are fan edits that bring up the brightness a bit.  The darkness is my biggest problem with the film.

Just listened to the score again today, and while it's still great, I fell in love with the theme in this cue (0:00 to 0:52):

The reprise later in the score is even better. Sounds like a 90s/early 2000s JNH score, and I just love when Powell lets his inner JNH shine:

Still, which theme is this one? I haven't seen the movie since it came out in 2018

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just listened to the score again today, and while it's still great, I fell in love with the theme in this cue (0:00 to 0:52):

The reprise later in the score is even better. Sounds like a 90s/early 2000s JNH score, and I just love when Powell lets his inner JNH shine:

Still, which theme is this one? I haven't seen the movie since it came out in 2018

I always thought that is part of Beckett's theme. I believe it's in some of the action as well.

Or it's a sort of theme of loss, love, danger and hope.

On 05/08/2022 at 3:48 PM, WampaRat said:

This section in “Corellia Chase”  (1:34-1:55) is probably still my favorite moment in the score (in a score chalk full of favorite moments) The string counterpoint dancing all around the Solo theme is just pure adventurous bliss! (PS- I believe Batu Sener helped with this cue!)

😊

Not to forget that the String counterpoint itself Starts Off as a Variation of Han's Theme!

This thing of movies being "deserving" of composers is nothing but score fans being overly protective with their favorites.

I don't care if Powell scores a sequel to The Room or the new Citizen Kane, I want to see him doing lots of different films regardless of their quality (unfortunately, he seems accostumed with doing just one film per year these days). 

I still feel Powell is Goldsmith’s heir apparent in providing so many box office stinkers with wonderful scores. 

I’d love for him to have as many scores under his belt as Jerry. But judging by his current work methodology, that’s probably unlikely. But quality over quantity is ok with me 😊

9 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Curse of the Were-Rabbit’s way better, and not just because it doesn’t have Mel Gibson.

No way. Curse of the Were-Rabbit is good, but it's not even the best Wallace & Gromit thing. Also it doesn't have John Powell.

I'll take the wonderful Chicken Run ANY day, and Mel Gibson for all his faults is WONDERFUL in it.

Yavar

Chicken Run being mentioned suddenly makes me wonder if the potential new Intrada releases would be the expanded HGW/JP score + the rejected one by Julian Nott. Of course, Powell would've already teased it on his Instagram if that were to be the case, but hey a man can dream.

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

No way. Curse of the Were-Rabbit is good, but it's not even the best Wallace & Gromit thing. 

It’s no Wrong Trousers, but in fairness, few things are.

50 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

No way. Curse of the Were-Rabbit is good, but it's not even the best Wallace & Gromit thing. Also it doesn't have John Powell.

I'll take the wonderful Chicken Run ANY day, and Mel Gibson for all his faults is WONDERFUL in it.

Yavar

To this day I still quote "I swear she's not using real words!" 

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nott wrote and recorded a score for Chicken Run??? I had no idea, if so.

Yavar

1. CHICKEN RUN --  Julian Nott.  Supposedly Zimmer, sadly now the head of Dreamworks Music Department, pressured Nott to use some of his MV cronies.  Nott refused and said his score was ready anyway; this apparently pissed Zimmer off, and the director called Nott a few days later to tell him Dreamworks would offer him a lot more money for the score recording if he used Zimmer's guys. Nott's score (unknown whether recorded), was used as a temp track.  Nott, reportedly, was hurt.  Nott is most famous for his scores to the "Wallace & Gromit" clay animation shorts.  [Harry Gregson-Williams, Steven Jablonsky (additional), James McKee Smith (additional), Geoff Zanelli (additional), John Powell, Alastair King (additional). - CD + cues on various promos not on the official CD.]

http://rejectedfilmscores.125mb.com/list.html

On 08/08/2022 at 10:26 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

“Supposedly” is a pretty big red flag on that whole thing…

Yavar

Julian Nott’s Nice Music – Soundtrack (wordpress.com)

Did a quick search and found this

"I never got as far as writing for the film proper. But I wrote quite a bit of demo music for “Chicken Run,” including a theme they used for their promo reel selling the film to distributors and other commercial entities. I’m itching to record it and release it one day. I’m very proud of the music. Whether I’ll ever get round to it or anybody will want to listen to it of course is a different matter!"

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Geez :(

I love HGW's and JP's score for Chicken Run, but knowing these facts make me like the score a little less (of course, it ain't Powell's and HGW's fault)

Agreed. I love Nott’s W&G music and think he got somewhat shafted as a result of Dreamworks coming on board for Aardman’s feature length films. It always seemed so patronising that Zimmer was brought in to effectively supervise/guide/produce (however you want to cut it) Nott’s score for Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Maybe it resulted in a better score, maybe it didn’t but Nott still had plenty of experience as a composer and as a composer for screen not to need hand holding. But agreed, can’t hold it against JP and HGW, and at least their score for Chicken Run is, let’s be honest, brilliant. 

I love Nott's work on Wallace and Gromit but if I'm honest I would never give up the score which Chicken Run ultimately received, which I think is easily among the best work from either composer. I could never love the score less than I do. But I'd love to hear whatever demos Nott wrote... I wonder if that promo reel ever ended up on YouTube or something.

Yavar

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2022 at 3:49 PM, Jay said:

I've been making way way through this score this week in pieces during commutes and man, I'm discovering so much more about it than I even realized was in here.

I feel like for a long time I only really noticed the Han A and B themes, Enfys Nest theme, and old JW themes from the old movies for the most part

Now I hear Chewie's theme, Secrets, L337's theme, the gang theme, Qi'Ra's theme, etc all over the score. Not a lot of time goes by without one of the themes popping up, and they are always different renditions every time.

This score is a real gem.  Boy, it's a shame Disney screwed up the marketing of the film and we aren't already on our way to finishing up a trilogy with this cast and composer by now

Damm, when I wrote this I hadn't even made my way through the whole score yet.  Eventually when I did I just kept getting more blown away by how good the score is.  The entire ending, even after the back to back to back action extravaganza, is all really good!

I wish there was a fifth Powell score I loved as much as this as the three HTTYDs.  For me, these 4 scores are a level above the rest of his film repertoire.  I wonder if he'll ever take on an assignment like this ever again?

That's one I definitely need to revisit, which I am kind of waiting for a Varese DE before doing so.  

But I don't recall it having the rich thematic complexity, and blending of sweeping emotional drama & action music, that Solo and the HTTYDs do.

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's one I definitely need to revisit, which I am kind of waiting for a Varese DE before doing so.  

But I don't recall it having the rich thematic complexity, and blending of sweeping emotional drama & action music, that Solo and the HTTYDs do.

It does have a lot, but it also suffers from bad temp-track-itis. Still the magnificent Dark Phoenix theme makes it the best score of the franchise.

Yavar

I'd almost put Call of the Wild on the same level as those. I'm not quite sure what stops me doing so. It's a bit of a winter-oriented score, and also one issue is that I skimmed through the film on D+ and it was rubbish.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wouldn't that be one of those cost-prohibitive releases though? I mean, recorded in LA in 2006.

Karol

52 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It does have a lot, but it also suffers from bad temp-track-itis. Still the magnificent Dark Phoenix theme makes it the best score of the franchise.

The Barry theme. It sure stood out in the cinema.