John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

7 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

I didnt mean to be rude, but i just randomly asked (just really curious)

Well you got confirmation from the man himself!

God, he's so active in this media. Really, no boundaries!

a.jpg

i should've known better. A moment wasted...

Someone ask him about Williams' theme!

I am now thinking "Han Solo Theme" might be a track name - the first track. Credited to Williams. Rest of the tracks credited to Powell with a *indicating "contains material written by John Williams". 

Is this how tracks are credited in dual works. I know in Ultron Elfman and Tyler had seperately credited tracks.

I think all the remaining spinoff scores will have Williams' name first and then "composed and adapted by" for the main composer

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am now thinking "Han Solo Theme" might be a track name - the first track. Credited to Williams. Rest of the tracks credited to Powell with a *indicating "contains material written by John Williams". 

Is this how tracks are credited in dual works. I know in Ultron Elfman and Tyler had seperately credited tracks.

Depends on how good your lawyers are. ;)

Karol

Interestingly Williams didn't get any credit whatsoever on the Rogue One poster?

latest?cb=20161012214043

Gotta wonder if that's simply because Giacchino's score hadn't been recorded, so it was unclear if Williams' music was actually going to be used.

Otherwise, maybe he cracked the shits about the lack of credit and that explains the resulting situation here.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Interestingly Williams didn't get any credit whatsoever on the Rogue One poster?

Gotta wonder if that's simply because Giacchino's score hadn't been recorded, so it was unclear if Williams' music was actually going to be used.

Williams did get a credit on the soundtrack and Bluray.

latest?cb=20161210045051

2017-04-05_58e5220c211ee_StarWarsRogueOn

I'm not averse to buying digitally, although a CD for the same price is a better deal because of utility and resale value.  But I'm frequently without an Internet connection, so I'll never transition to streaming.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There's a baseline quality to both Powell and Williams' work that means this will be worth it.  I preordered it earlier too.

Exactly

24 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why not just buy the handful of relevant tracks digitally? I do not stream either and didn't buy a 'whole' film music album in years.

I guess I don't understand "relevant tracks?"  I listen to all the tracks.

Many of my all-time favorite scores are for movies I've never seen.  I purchase music for a variety of reasons - based on the composer, based on the series, based on recommendations, etc., but never to relive certain movie highlights or anything like that. Honestly, 98% of movies I watch, I never rewatch, so I rarely take notice of the score when I see them.

I find most film music easily dispensable, especially now when every release clocks in at 90 minutes. Few and far between are the 'Willow's , 'Indiana Jones' or even 'Under Fire's (to add some variety) where the music carries a longer release. Most scores that enter my collection are between 10 and 30 minutes long and though there are a handful exceptions, i hated the 90's when i had a room stacked with cd's i never listened to apart from a few pieces. 

I like having the whole score/album as I enjoy having a sense of subconscious narrative. Even when the movie in question's a piece of junk, I can just listen to the score and daydream a better story throughout the listening experience (as one must often do with Powell or Goldsmith).

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs? Oh, it's obviously Powell telling the story of a T-rex that bonds maternally with two human children stranded on a dinosaur island, and she grows determined to protect them from the bloodthirsty spinosaurus who devoured their parents.

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I like having the whole score/album as I enjoy having a sense of subconscious narrative. Even when the movie in question's a piece of junk, I can just listen to the score and daydream a better story throughout the listening experience (as one must often do with Powell or Goldsmith).

I feel that way about JNH's Last Airbender score. It's brilliant but the imagery and story it's attached to isn't.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Wow, that looks terrible! John Williams would have used 76 pages, but this Powell hack is using 80!

Film music is dead, ya'll.

Don't believe the hype.  That is not the score.  It is just a list of things in Powell's apartment. 

There's a 'Force Theme Bible' they all pass around.

"Oh yeah, that variation in Return of the Jedi sounds neat, oh but wait.... "Only oneth rendition of thine theme is permitted if Yoda's Theme proceeds it, the Lord has spoken"... Fuck!'

On 09/04/2018 at 4:26 PM, someonefun124 said:

Well, if the rumors are true about what Williams thought about Giacchino's score, then he was probably glad his name wasn't on the poster. ;) 

Were there actual rumours of his negative opinion, or is it just a Giacchino bashers' wish?

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Were there actual rumours of his negative opinion, or is it just a Giacchino bashers' wish?

I think someone here said that someone on FSM claimed to have heard a report that JW was less than glowing about it.

From what I've heard of G's score, it wasn't anything special.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think someone here said that someone on FSM claimed to have heard a report that JW was less than glowing about it.

From what I've heard of G's score, it wasn't anything special.

He said, she said from a former roommate's pet iguana that JW was unhappy with Gia's score.

I don't think JW cares about the other scores, or that he cares enough to tell random people what he thought of RO.

The rumor was put out there by more than one person, at least one of whom (SchiffyM) is in the industry and not prone to nutso stuff.  Williams didnt like the Rogue One score, recommended Desplat but Lucasfilm has already canned him on the previous one, so recommended Powell.