John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Oh dear, the score is HORRIBLE - Williams's pastiche mixed with Zimmerish RCP/MV tropes - slamming percussion and seemingly endless ostinati over most of the score. Also utterly tasteless Karl Jenkins's Adiemusesque choral mush thrown in. Powell dropped the ball. It may be a small improvement over Rogue One though, but that doesn't say much at all i'm afraid. I don't get what people are hearing in this. Williams's sole track is on the other hand is very good, it is obvious that nothing Powell did lives up to it. I am deleting Powell's score right away, saving only Williams's track. Why not hire someone competent, like say Goldenthal?

6 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Oh dear, the score is HORRIBLE - Williams's pastiche mixed with Zimmerish RCP/MV tropes - slamming percussion and seemingly endless ostinati over most of the score. Also utterly tasteless Karl Jenkins's Adiemusesque choral mush thrown in. Powell dropped the ball. It may be a small improvement over Rogue One though, but that doesn't say much at all i'm afraid. I don't get what people are hearing in this. Williams's sole track is on the other hand is very good, it is obvious that nothing Powell did lives up to it. I am deleting Powell's score right away, saving only Williams's track. Why not hire someone competent, like say Goldenthal?

U ok hun?

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Image result for can't tell if serious or joking

Really? I would re-post the same picture in response to you.

It is mostly poor stuff.

13 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Lmao the one person trashing the score still thinks it’s an improvement over a Rogue One

What's so funny about that? Powell is a better composer than Giacchino. Powell's score may be less offensive than Giaccchino's Rogue One despite all of the annoying slamming MV/RCP percussion, excessive ostinati and choral Jenkins junk.

I haven't heard this soundtrack yet, but I think of Powell as one of the most engaging and entertaining composers for percussion working today.  It's, like, one of his trademarks.

So remember when John Powell said this:

Here’s your final list of brand new material to look for in Solo: A Star Wars Story:

1. Han Theme (by John Williams)
2. Love Theme
3. #Chewbacca Theme
4. Gang Theme
5. #L3 Theme
6. Enfys Nest Theme .
+ there are 2 major theme-like motifs directly following the plot all the way through the movie. 
Once the film is out, we can discuss them here!

And this:

"7 tracks in the album will feature a version of Chewie’s tune.."

"L3 gets her own tune in Solo: A Star Wars Story! It’ll be featured on 6 tracks in the album!"

"A brand new love theme joining the Star Wars Universe with Solo: A Star Wars Story! This tune will be featured in 8 tracks on the soundtrack album :)"

"also got a ‘Gang’ tune! :) I can’t say who is a part of this gang but the tune will be featured in 11 tracks on the soundtrack album!"

"Enfys on 5.

Han on 16."

Who wants to start listing which themes are in which tracks and what timestamps?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I don't think the time argument is good because great scores have been written in that amount of time. JNH's King Kong and Desplat's Imitation game to name a few...

I think the only thing it says, really, is that Michael Giacchino is a damn professional who can write playable and listenable orchestral music in a short amount of time and it made for a soundtrack album and film that entertained a lot of people. He's trained for it, he was prepared for it, it was a personal challenge and accomplishment that he has the right to be proud of and he should be. But just because you respect the man doesn't mean you necessarily have to respect the music.

Anyway I liked Rogue One fine but I sort of don't really care about anything in it, I re-listened to a couple tracks for a few months and haven't gone back to it in awhile. This one has the advantage of an aces JW track and theme but the original Powell stuff also put a bigger smile on my face than my favorite bits in R1.

Giacchino just isn't suited for big adventurous thrill rides like Powell is. Rogue One is perfectly consistent with his other works in terms of how the action music often feels it's trying too hard and it rarely feels natural. The softer sections in a lot of scores is where Giacchino usually shines. 

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

We are here! We are here! We are here!

More like that little wind melody I linked to above.

GOD, this score has so much fresh energy and passion and emotion and it's so powerfully invigorating and every second is so delicious and I'm being reminded all over again why I get so damn excited for this composer. 

Best score ever written until HTTYD3 comes out!

This is what was missing with new Star Wars music for me, and I'm regarding both Giacchino and Williams here.

Powell has energy, passion and JOY.

I'd just like to add myself to the list of those who really liked this score. Well written, with a lot of energy and fun, which is what I was expecting from the composer of "How to Train Your Dragon". At some moments, it reminds me a bit of the bombastic material from Independence Day, in terms of orchestration (I mean it in a good way). It's still Star Wars, just... different! The guy knows how to write for orchestra (and choir - nice use in the Marauders and L3 tracks - which has absolutely nothing to do with Adiemus, imho). I need to check out more of his stuff.  

Oh I am quite happy with the length, could there be a tad more quite material instead of ACTION ACTION ACTION!, maybe, or a proper end credits. But I am fine with what we have.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

What's Dice and Roll like?

A short ethnic cue with percussion and some Williams themes usage.