John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Well anyway, Back then, he didnt know the truth :( pity ( who's father's favourite son?)

---

I still hate it nonetheless, that on my first viewing on theatre, i could easily , just easily, remember Giacchino's music on R1 but not on this one. :(

John Williams' Han's theme (well, two of them) suite has that quality of an old TV show title montage sequence (thin A-Team or something like that). I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it works for this particular "scam of the week" type of movie we got.

Karol

Amazon update, mine will arrive Tuesday due to Memorial Day Holiday.

you may return to your thread.

The music was great in the film. I had listened to the OST before hand so I knew what to expect. I was quite upset when I noticed some folks in the theatre grimacing when the awesome gang theme and choir showed up. It's different, but I absolutely love it and it's originality. The theme is referred to frequently, but it's so great and different every time that it's impossible to claim that Powell overused it. It was very nice. I love this score.

12 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I really like how JP resurrected the ANH Star Destroyer music for Reminiscence Therapy. It's a fun inclusion along with most of the other OT material in that cue.  

You mean the more commonly called 'Death Star Motif'? It was ressurected by GIacchino in Rogue one so here is just "re-used" :P

1 minute ago, Blumenkohl said:

I mean, for all we know, Williams saw Giacchino as a threat. He could see the potential for Giacchino to become the king of Star Wars, and so his direction to let new composers do their own thing is a vehicle to divide and conquer.

Giacchino really was the next John Williams, until the last John Williams caught on!

Ridiculous notion! I demand that you be banned!

3 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

I mean, for all we know, Williams saw Giacchino as a threat. He could see the potential for Giacchino to become the king of Star Wars, and so his direction to let new composers do their own thing is a vehicle to divide and conquer.

Giacchino really was the next John Williams, until the last John Williams caught on!

This forum sure as heck seems to feel threatened by Giacchino's presence! 

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

John Williams' Han's theme (well, two of them) suite has that quality of an old TV show title montage sequence (thin A-Team or something like that). I'm not sure if that's good or bad but it works for this particular "scam of the week" type of movie we got.

Karol

I noticed that too, maybe it's the more straight-forward structure of it?   The leaner orchestrations also give it the vibe of a smaller TV orchestra.

Somebody should edit it to be the title sequence for a cheesy 80's spin-off show titled "Han and Chewie" or "Han Wars".

So after growing to love Chicken in the Pot, it's not even the same in the movie - the second, higher pitched voice is replaced by a lower, male one! (or possibly just pitched down?) What the hell?

11 hours ago, publicist said:

You honestly watch that stuff for 'entertainment'? Yikes.

Yes, I love them!

11 hours ago, Dragonspartax said:

This is exactly what I thought about the score. Your problems are identical to mine. The "RCP" percussion adds absolutely nothing (and as you said sounds like How to Train your Dragon) to what's going on and in fact covers up his work.

All that being said, I thought the soundtrack was fantastic without the RCP percussion as it sounds distinctly Star Wars and retains the tone and style of fast moving brass and strings perfectly. 

Agree with this 100%. Powell has the chops, he needs to take off his drum loop training wheels.

We need a multi-channel session leak so the electronics can be left off.

;)

I am!

I'd normally object to J. Williams contributing themes, but I really love what Powell did with it. He pretty much made it his own thing and played around with it like any composer would their own main theme. I don't like the Williams version as the orchestration and performance just sounds really stiff and bloated (almost TFA-ish in terms of how unpleasant the recording is), but really, in fairness, it's just a demo. A rough draft Williams did to give Powell a basic idea as to what he wanted. It'd be very different, certainly a bit more refined, if it was for the actual film. 

I just wish it wasn't on the album as it's space that would have been better left for more music from the actual score. I deleted it as soon as I could and don't need to hear it again.

I'm sorry, but it does to me. I don't think it's bad and of course it's a fine solid theme. If it weren't a good theme, not even giving it to Jerry Goldsmith or Dimitri Tiomkin would be able to salvage it! My lack of enthusiasm for the Williams 'version' is merely its technical faults, which, again, makes sense, as it's not for the movie, it's for Powell and for intrigued fans to hear as a bonus. It'd be ridiculous to expect more refined orchestrations and a more spirited performance for something that's not going to be in the actual film.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I think these count as little cameos:

Also the early Imperial March references, the major key "recruitment" version and then again with Han in battle is pretty overt.

I can't remember if there were any others but yeah, on the soundtrack "L3 & The Millennium Falcon" has the first big OT reference, I think.

One of my favorite little cameos is the Rebel fanfare here:

from 1:49-2:11

In the long run, there isn't much you can say with comparing this to Rogue One as while it's of course the same franchise, they're very different stories and genres. There are objective differences (Powell's score is way better orchestrated, recorded and performed by a few thousand kilometers), but a person enjoying Rogue One's musical narrative can still claim to be sane, I'd say.

I'd definitely like to see another composer take the next non-Williams SW film, though if they do a sequel to Solo I really want Powell back. I'd rather SW not fall into the Marvel trap of "new composer, new themes for all the characters!"