John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I made a suite of some of my favourite bits of the score, and i titled it Chewie's Fury End

I kinda butchered the tracks. i combined Chewie's theme heroic statement, i kinda joined the second half of both Marauders Arrive and Into The Maw, and some bit of Testing Allegiance in the end.

I slowed chewie theme heroic statement (and lowered thepitch) at 2:31 and at 2:54 is when Qira stabbed Chewie.

hahaha,

No no no! I remember that part from the movie. Qi'ra pats Chewie on the back, but what you don't see is the poisonous serum she injects in him. It's still kicking in at this point. It may not even have any effect until Episode IX.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:57 PM, Bilbo said:

There are some people who definitely take all of this waaaaaay too seriously. 

Right?! Each time I read some comments I'm like "uuummm, it's just a movie....."

Two things in the soundtrack that really reminded me of John Williams. The Han/Q'ira love theme reminds me a whole bunch of Born On The Fourth Of July. At about 0:52 or so in this recording.

Also, the brass swoops up in Into The Maw when it's showing the big creature seriously remind me of something very similar when it shows the swordsman in Raiders.

On 6/2/2018 at 2:18 AM, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Han (Hero)

"Corellia Chase" 0:05; 0:26; 1:33

"Flying with Chewie": 1:34

"Train Heist" 4:10

"Marauders Arrive" 1:28

"Into the Maw" 1:07; 1:53; 3:57

"Savareen Stand-Off" 4:03

"Mine Mission" 2:27; 3:21

"Break Out" 1:23; 1:51; 3:13

"The Good Guy" 2:48

"Reminiscence Therapy" 0:35; 3:54; 4:12

"Testing Allegiance" 0:42; 1:45

"Dice & Roll" 1:31

Han (Searching)

"Meet Han" 0:48; 1:25; 1:50

"Corellia Chase" 0:47; 1:57; 2:43

"Spaceport" 0:06; 0:14; 0:25; 3:17

"Train Heist" 3:49

"Marauders Arrive" 4:41

"Break Out" 2:12

"Into the Maw" 2:02; 4:31

"Dice & Roll" 1:18

Gang

"Flying with Chewie" 0:39; 0:57

"Train Heist" 1:46; 2:31; 2:54; 3:53; 4:23

"Marauders Arrive" 3:12; 3:26; 4:30

"Break Out" 2:32; 3:49

"The Good Guy" 1:51

"Into the Maw" 1:38; 2:13; 2:43; 2:56

"Testing Allegiance" 0:21

Love theme

"Spaceport" 1:56; 2:08; 2:43

"Lando's Closet" 0:18; 0:52; 1:26

"The Good Guy" 0:21; 1:11; 3:21

"Into the Maw" 1:39

"Savareen Stand-Off" 3:46

"Good Thing You Were Listening" 1:17

"Testing Allegiance" 2:11; 2:36; 3:27

Chewie

"Flying with Chewie" 0:10; 1:11; 2:15

"Train Heist" 0:46

"Marauders Arrive" 4:07

"Mine Mission" 2:05

"Break Out" 0:43

"Reminiscence Therapy" 2:53

L3

"L3 & Millennium Falcon" 0:03

“Mine Mission” 0:00; 1:57; 2:31

"Break Out" 0:11; 4:10; 4:53

"Reminiscence Therapy" 1:10; 5:23

Enfys Nest

"Marauders Arrive" 0:00; 0:46; 0:57; 4:33

"Is This Seat Taken?" 0:44

"L3 & Millennium Falcon" 2:46

"Savareen Stand-Off" 0:33; 2:30

-Cloud Riders action theme

"Marauders Arrive" 0:23; 2:16

"The Good Guy" 4:54

Secrets

"Meet Han" 0:00

"Spaceport" 3:39

"Lando's Closet" 1:05

"The Good Guy" 0:46; 2:59; 3:19; 3:38; 4:08

"Savareen Stand-Off" 3:19

"Good Thing You Were Listening" 0:52

"Testing Allegiance" 3:45

Coaxium

"Train Heist" 2:45

"Mine Mission" 3:44

"Break Out" 5:40

Will update as I find more (and add the classic theme references, too), as I'm sure I've missed some. Feel free to mention any I've forgotten.

WOOOWWW THANKS SO MUCH for this!  Quoting it to get it on the current page :)

Gang

"Into the Maw" 1:38

Love theme

"Into the Maw" 1:39

Is this right?  They play at the same time?

Han (Hero)

"Corellia Chase" 0:05; 0:26; 1:33

"Flying with Chewie": 1:34

"Train Heist" 4:10

"Marauders Arrive" 1:28

"Into the Maw" 1:07; 1:53; 3:57

"Savareen Stand-Off" 4:03

"Mine Mission" 2:27; 3:21

"Break Out" 1:23; 1:51; 3:13

"The Good Guy" 2:48

"Reminiscence Therapy" 0:35; 3:54; 4:12

"Testing Allegiance" 0:42; 1:45

"Dice & Roll" 1:31

This is the only time you list a track out of order (you have Savereen Stand-Off earlier on the list than it appears).  Is that the wrong track title, or the right track but its just in the list in the wrong spot?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is this right?  They play at the same time?

Yep. Listen to the French horn line. It's a cleverly disguised quote of the first bit of the love theme.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

This is the only time you list a track out of order (you have Savereen Stand-Off earlier on the list than it appears).  Is that the wrong track title, or the right track but its just in the list in the wrong spot?

I put it in the wrong spot! Sorry, will fix.

There are a few themes heard in Is This Seat Taken? not included on that list.

0:10 Han (Hero)

0:25 Han (Hero)

0:35 Gang

0:45 Enfys Nest

1:19 Han (Hero)

1:46 Han (Hero)

You missed a version of Chewie's theme heard at the end of Good Thing You Were Listening:

Also, in 'Into the Maw,' there's a bit of L3's theme:

2 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

What a bunch of OCD weirdos.

Its probably more information than I need, but I also was only able to recognize 2-3 of these themes while listening to the OST - so timestamps, etc are a great guide to familiarize myself with a score.

I am not a musician, but I think if I was l, I’d find it unsatisfying to not be able to hear the entire piece as I was playing, especially when it requires the orchestra to pause and nothing to be played. Obviously, these musicians are all professionals and accustomed to this type of recording

Also much easier to loop segments over possible mistakes or rewrite percussion segments instead of leaving them in or rerecording the entire cue (maybe inserts) with the entire orchestra.

So it is just the percussion that is recorded apart, or several different sections (strings vs. brass, etc.)?

When Williams was recording the Sand People cues, would the percussion have been recorded separately? (Just trying to compare apples.)

Just now, Pellaeon said:

So it is just the percussion that is recorded apart, or several different sections (strings vs. brass, etc.)?

When Williams was recording the Sand People cues, would the percussion have been recorded separately? (Just trying to compare apples.)

With Powell, I hear all segments were recorded differently in most of his scores. Usually it's the percussion (like in RotS?) and mostly for the mixing angle.

All the sections are generally recorded separately. I indeed doubt Powell was the first to take that approach.

Doing it the old-fashioned way just makes it more difficult to get everything to sound right and for the mix to be balanced. It's why the sound quality and mix in Powell scores has been consistently great, since he gives himself greater control over that aspect.

Full striping is not without its drawbacks - the final performance could sound a bit sterile because the segments do not have each other to work off of while performing.

I have to say I like the score, but listening to a performance without such prominent percussion would be more enjoyable, for me. I like this video a lot.

JP states that this is them rehearsing so maybe they're just have a run through. No evidence to suggest that they were recording anything separately.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its a very conventional orchestral setup for Powell there: not the 12 horns he used on How to Train Your Dragon.

He used the same set up as Williams for his SW scores but with a larger string section.

Karol

The strings look to me like a 16.14.12.10.8 arrangement, no? That's in-line with the prequels, which is apt because this is a prequel.

The first three and these last two of Williams indeed used a smaller section; although Williams also used more brass and would often extended the high woodwind section for a "mechanical" sound.

At 1.19 of Break Out

is that the Star Wars Main Title opening fanfare? That would be the first time it's used in a  score

It's a fanfare alright, but I don't hear those trumpet blasts in any opening fanfare.

As for leitmotif pedantry in this thread, keep it up. Where would JWfan be without a bit of thematic interrogation? Powell's done a great job of working with old and new themes. I have probably over-listened to this score the past 10 days, but it's been worth it for discovering the layers within. And I haven't seen the film - I like it when I get to know a score well before being given its images and scenes.

My thematic delight is the old stormtrooper/Empire theme in Train Heist, at 3:35. I like his callbacks to 'ANH' and wish there were more. Maybe there are in the film...