crocodile

John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

11 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

I would like to give Powell all awards there is, just to hear his speech. Hollywoods needs a little jab!

Awesome! John Powell is great.

I don't know. I feel like Disney's purposely forgetting about Solo completely, especially after that cheap move they made about not having an FYC in on time. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it from the archives, so to speak. And we all know that if an item does not exist in the archives it does not exist. 

Remember Disney's mega-flop Tomorrowland? They actively removed all licences from any of the license-holders effectively removing the film's existence from the face of the earth. No more products, t-shirts, memorabilia, CDs. Solo is just another film they can try (and without any resistance) sweep under the rug and say 'Nothing to see here, folks! Move along and enjoy this next film'.

What's a shame is how Disney never owns any mistake, any flop, they don't stand behind their work and defend it, because at the end of the day, it didn't meet some projected revenue threshold. I'm sure there were thousands of people working on these films who were emotionally and creatively invested in these properties, and in one weekend, all their work was reduced to nothing.

I was recently thinking again about this fantastic movie (yes!) and score (of course) after revisiting "Marauders Arrive" to find the amazing hidden droid motif quote referenced by @PoggoAOTS

—and it occurred to me that it's strange that Powell, so nerdy in so many ways with incorporations of previous Star Wars material, didn't touch the "Lando's Palace" theme at all.  Is it that it's more of a Cloud City theme than a personal theme for him?  I guess that's borne out by its disappearance in ROTJ, but I certainly found it amusing when his playable character in Battlefront entered to a fanfare treatment of that theme:

What I'm saying is, we can all use more of that theme in our lives and our movies, and I'm a little surprised Powell didn't even nod at it.  At the same time, it took a year and a half for the droid motif to crop up.  Has anyone found anything on this front?

I hear it. I'm not really sure if that's intentional or incidental, but I certainly never made that connection before. Well hidden and an excellent find from @PoggoAOTS!

If I recall correctly, that little bit underscores something to do with the Imperial viper droids. Not really sure how the droid motif applies to them unless it's connotations are being interpreted broadly here by Powell as a riff for droids in general. I always thought it was more of a C-3PO and R2 thing. I could be wrong about the part in the film though, because I remember there being some interesting music in the film version that's not on the OST that plays as the crew trip the sensor and the droids are activated. I cannot remember precisely where this bit fits in. 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, Arpy said:

Shit! I never connected the two - the droid motif from ESB.

That's what I thought he was talking about. I just can't hear it there. 

I just think it's super cool how Powell turns a quirky and oft forgotten yet beloved little motif for woodwinds into a pulsating and rhythmic action setpiece hidden deep within his whizzbang of a score, going completely unnoticed for a considerable. He truly is a genius and his Easter-egging of Williams, so to speak, was far more clever, melodically pleasing, and unique than anything Giacchino, bless his soul, managed to conjure up for Rogue One (even though I like that score just fine!).