THE LAST JEDI - Rian Johnson Tweets about the score

Holko

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

We're all fucked! Rian has ruined everything! The rumours of a rift between Williams and Johnson confirmed!

Giacchino will have  to be called in in November to redo the score after Rian burns the master tapes!

I knew we were FUCKED after Rian's disrespectful and snide, "get back to work," comment.

You could see the steam emanating from Williams' ears. He's just written the most masterful new Star Wars theme of his career (Rey of Light) and Johnson has the audacity to say that!?

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I knew we were FUCKED after Rian's disrespectful and snide, "get back to work," comment.

You could see the steam emanating from Williams' ears. He's just written the most masterful new Star Wars theme of his career (Rey of Light) and Johnson has the audacity to say that!?

Williams can take it, he's a big boy.

Bring on our saviour, Lord Giacchino!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Resulting in John's entire score being scrapped and rewritten in the last 3 weeks of post.

I feel like I'm having deja vu, I swear Rian Johnson tweeted something exactly like this when that rumour came up that the film was being edited to the score. there was even that YouTube video that discussed what it meant for a movie score to be done in an untraditional way like that, unfortunately the poster took the rumour at face value - can't always jump to conclusions until there's proof or you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Has anyone asked Rian about specific themes yet? He seems quite happy to drop hints about the score.

I'd love to know if the film starts with a new version of Jedi Steps.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The film will start with a new recording of the SW main theme.

I haven't kept up with film rumours and reports (in order to avoid spoilers, and bypass the tons of incorrect speculation that always happens with these projects). Is the red SW logo just a marketing thing? Because if it's actually red in the movie proper, I wonder if they might also decide to tweak the main title to make it stand apart a bit.

28 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I haven't kept up with film rumours and reports (in order to avoid spoilers, and bypass the tons of incorrect speculation that always happens with these projects). Is the red SW logo just a marketing thing? Because if it's actually red in the movie proper, I wonder if they might also decide to tweak the main title to make it stand apart a bit.

I think the red logo is just to separate it visually from the yellow in the marketing for The Force Awakens, and there's been a lot of red in the marketing as well (see posters). I wouldn't rule out the SW logo and the main title looking/sounding different but I'd find it very surprising.

star-wars-the-force-awakens-slice.jpg

star_wars_the_last_jedi_poster_1688.jpg

Screenshot 2017-07-29 16.30.13.png

What if we get a new, noticeably different arrangement for the Main Titles theme? The difference between the main titles in ANH and ESB is quite noticeable. I don't recall the difference if any between ESB and ROTJ. The prequels all used the same new recording of the Main Titles which itself was different than the 3 from the OT. I'd like a new Main Titles that has more bass and less tin-y brass. The Force Awakens rendition is my favorite so far, but it would be cool to get something new.

The next question I'm hoping someone will ask him is if they will release an expanded set like J.J. suggested they would with TFA that would have the unreleased, alternate material. 

So he was bored to death with March of the Resistance?

I don't care if he's bored to death conducting it! He's the best living conductor to conduct it!

On 30-7-2017 at 3:50 AM, artguy360 said:

I don't recall the difference if any between ESB and ROTJ.

I'd say the differences between the Original Trilogy's Main Title cues were really the result of slightly different recording techniques and distinct interpretations of the score. I'm sure there were many differences in microphone placement, tone and mixing between the three (especially considering ROTJ was recorded at Abbey Road) and that explains a great deal. 

Will be interesting to compare the version for VIII to VII, considering it's basically the same orchestra, score recordist and recording venue, only about 18 months apart. Different conductor though.

I love the drumroll that opens rotj version. ESB only has a drum beat and the prequel, anh and TFA version don't have it at all. There are slight differences in orchestration between them all, not just different performance interpretations...

8 hours ago, king mark said:

I hope it's a totally new version of the Main titles.That would be so cool

I hope so too. Unfortunately, I think the chance of that is virtually zilch. :(

20 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I love the drumroll that opens rotj version. ESB only has a drum beat and the prequel, anh and TFA version don't have it at all. There are slight differences in orchestration between them all, not just different performance interpretations...

TFA has a drumroll.