MV From La-La Land Records: "lots" of Williams releases are coming "in the future"

Jay

3 minutes ago, rough cut said:

What does MV stand for?

La-La Land Records is a specialty film score label in Burbank, California.

The people who own it are Matt Verboys and Michael V Gerhard.

Michael runs all their social media an forum accounts, and almost always signs off his posts with "MV".

Techinically, though, it's possible sometimes Matt posts things instead of Michael; Cleverly, MV works for both their names.

Im hoping for THE TOWERING INFERNO in the batch to start the madness. But since last years JURASSIC PARK Collection was the ultimate set that surprised everyone, I can imagine that this years batch would be indeed jawdropping! So maybe ET & CE3K,Witches of Eastwick  and Williams HARRY POTTER scores be considered as this years entrants.  

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Im hoping for THE TOWERING INFERNO in the batch to start the madness. But since last years JURASSIC PARK Collection was the ultimate set that surprised everyone, I can imagine that this years batch would be indeed jawdropping! So maybe ET & CE3K,Witches of Eastwick  and Williams HARRY POTTER scores be considered as this years entrants.  

We've now been discussing for months and there are so many criteria, so that we can exclude many titles. On the other hand there are many arguments that make a few titles very probable to be expanded this year. So, meanwhile I'm 95% sure sure that it will be one of the following titles:

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind

- E.T.

- The Witches of Eastwick

- Amistad

- Harry Potter

I'll promise you, it will be at least two of them!

I bet LLL gets to do Towering Inferno, JFK, Close Encounters (because of Paramount) and Harry Potter 1-3 some time in the next 2-3 years. I'm thinking E.T. will eventually go to Intrada (because of Universal).

That'll leave me to collect bottle caps and twiddle my thumbs while waiting for new editions of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Hook.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

My pipe dreams: Catch me if you can, Far and away, HP1-3, Hook (properly), Lincoln, Memoirs of a Geisha, Star Wars 1-3, Schindler's List, War Horse.

Is there much music missing from the Catch Me, Memoirs, and War Horse albums? I've seen the films, but didn't really pay attention to unreleased music, and I don't think I was all that familiar with scores when I saw those films anyway.

Wish list:

Close Encounters

Minority Report (the sessions only leaked in mp3, after all)

The Patriot

JFK

Munich

Nixon

The Accidental Tourist (complete this time)

3 hours ago, Muldoon said:

I bet LLL gets to do Towering Inferno, JFK, Close Encounters (because of Paramount) and Harry Potter 1-3 some time in the next 2-3 years. I'm thinking E.T. will eventually go to Intrada (because of Universal).

Close Encounters is a Sony film, not a Paramount film. 

The only Paramount films JW scored besides the Indiana Jones ones are:

1969 The Reivers
1977 Black Sunday
1995 Sabrina
1999 Angela's Ashes
2011 The Adventures of Tintin

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-studio/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Close Encounters is a Sony film, not a Paramount film. 

The only Paramount films JW scored besides the Indiana Jones ones are:

1969 The Reivers
1977 Black Sunday
1995 Sabrina
1999 Angela's Ashes
2011 The Adventures of Tintin

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-studio/

Wait, weren't Saving Private Ryan and WotW from Paramount?

I'm hoping for a complete and properly remastered Original Trilogy and the complete intended Star Wars Prequels. Maybe a stand alone release for the first Superman score and a better version of Hook. That's about it for me.

Of Spielberg's drama efforts since the 90's, which ones are really in need of expansion? He's trended towards sparse spotting which means JW's OSTs don't leave out much material. Would've thought Munich, Lincoln (+FYC), Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can were all basically complete on OST.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

My pipe dreams: Catch me if you can, Far and away, HP1-3, Hook (properly), Lincoln, Memoirs of a Geisha, Star Wars 1-3, Schindler's List, War Horse.

Is there anything major missing from War Horse that wasn't on the FYC CD?

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Is there anything major missing from War Horse that wasn't on the FYC CD?

There was a fairly long intro to "Plowing" featuring downtrodden renditions of the War theme and a minor atmospheric cue capped off by a short violin solo when the germans take the horses away.   

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

I'm hoping for a complete and properly remastered Original Trilogy and the complete intended Star Wars Prequels. Maybe a stand alone release for the first Superman score and a better version of Hook. That's about it for me.

Im hoping for a stand alone Superman The Movie 3CD ( with the OST album) set for next year to mark the films 40th Anniversary. I hope that happens even though the FSM Box set still exists.

If a Superman set happens, then hopefully they'll include the alternate main title with the extended ostinato. That's my absolute favorite version! It was on the Rhino set, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't on the blue box.

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

We've now been discussing for months and there are so many criteria, so that we can exclude many titles. On the other hand there are many arguments that make a few titles very probable to be expanded this year. So, meanwhile I'm 95% sure sure that it will be one of the following titles:

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind

- E.T.

- The Witches of Eastwick

- Amistad

- Harry Potter

I'll promise you, it will be at least two of them!

Witches of Eastwick and Amistad it is!

What's the point in that? Can't imagine many composers would be allowed such a luxury these days. So he essentially recorded the entire film score then cherry picked cues and arranged them into a new 45 minute OST assembly which was recorded from scratch.

Seems like madness. Judging by that analysis, the complete score isn't even 45 minutes long.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Isn't E.T. 100% complete, though?

If by complete, you mean, "different takes and versions of cues scattered across the 1982, 1996, and 2002 albums", not to mention the isolated score, then yes, it's complete

I'm just keeping my very faint hope that there's a previously unreleased score in there, among the "lots". If not, I will at the very least save a lot of money.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Not entirely complete, I thought. Plus the film recordings needs better sound, and the album could do with less hiss.

Given the fact that this year marks the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, the 35th anniversary of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and the 20th anniversary of Amistad, it would be an excellent time and opportunity to release expanded editions of the Maestro's scores to those films.

This year also marks the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, so who knows...

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

What's the point in that? Can't imagine many composers would be allowed such a luxury these days. So he essentially recorded the entire film score then cherry picked cues and arranged them into a new 45 minute OST assembly which was recorded from scratch.

Seems like madness. Judging by that analysis, the complete score isn't even 45 minutes long.

Seems to me there's a level of artistry going on in making albums like this which goes into the ridiculous.

Having a couple of cues on album that are alternates or 'original' versions is one thing, but is it too much to ask that the album generally contains the music featured in the film?

I could go on about edits, alternates, mixing differences but that's a slightly different discussion.

JW and Zimmer are the only composers I can think of that do this. Everyone else just... releases the score.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Seems to me there's a level of artistry going on in making albums like this which goes into the ridiculous.

Having a couple of cues on album that are alternates or 'original' versions is one thing, but is it too much to ask that the album generally contains the music featured in the film?

I could go on about edits, alternates, mixing differences but that's a slightly different discussion.

JW and Zimmer are the only composers I can think of that do this. Everyone else just... releases the score.

Jerry Goldsmith did. He recorded a lot of alternates for the album of Outland, cause he thought it was too boring. He also prevented Varese and Prometheus to release the complete scores of Total Recall, The Omen, The Final Conflict and Basic Instinct, back then. As soon as he died special editions were released everywhere!

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

There are three tiny cues that are still unreleased.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

He also prevented Varese and Prometheus to release the complete scores of Total Recall, The Omen, The Final Conflict and Basic Instinct, back then. As soon as he died special editions were released everywhere!.

Wut? These came all out in between 2000 - 2002. The state of 'completeness' was not dictated by Goldsmith but by a) the cd format and b) the fact that virtually no one at this time was doing C&C when it ran over 78 minutes and producers still thought about listening qualities.

Judging by the vinyl re-releases, Concord still have the Indy rights @azahid. I'd guess their licence expires next year though. Hopefully the Lucasfilm factor doesn't hurt our chances; Spielberg and Williams have the clout to secure that licence for MM/LLL if they so desire.

I got the impression from MM there'd be another big release this year, to warrant that "save your money" comment. If not Star Wars or Indy, it can only really be Harry Potter (considering the live-to-projection factor). They've been hinting at it for 9 months so it sounds substantial.

I'm also assuming MM moved onto a new Williams/Spielberg project soon after JP/TLW, as both camps seem keen to continue these expansions. Since 2014 we've had two SS/JW/MM releases every year:

Jun 2014 - Empire of the Sun

May 2015 - Artificial Intelligence

Nov 2015 - Jaws

Nov 2016 - Jurassic Park & The Lost World

A few individual Spielberg/Williams titles like Amistad alongside a box set would make a great year, not to mention The Last Jedi and The Papers. I'm growing doubtful on CE3K & ET being anything more than OST resissues though.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm growing doubtful on CE3K & ET being anything more than OST resissues though.

Going by the logic of strictly OST reissues, technically only ET is receiving it. But...you never know!

1 minute ago, Corellian2019 said:

Going by the logic of strictly OST reissues, technically only ET is receiving it. But...you never know!

I guess CE3K could be either the OST or the deluxe edition from 20 years ago. More likely the OST, based on the wording of the re-release poster.

17 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

From the albums that I've heard, Goldenthal frequently includes alternate versions of cues over their film versions, S.W.A.T. being the most egregious example. Thomas Newman also does this on occasion

Well actually I was distinguishing between releasing alternates and an actual separate arrangement and recording made specifically for the album.

Although there's a blurred line between those two - if the composer puts an alternate recording on the album, but which did at one point fit the film, it doesn't really make it any more valid than a separate recording which has been rearranged for the album. That is, if the music heard in the film is the comparison.

I'm always a fan of the album having exactly the same takes and mix as the film, but you also have to respect how the composer views that cue that was revised at the last minute.

My misunderstanding. In that case, Vangelis is guilty of what you initially described

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I guess CE3K could be either the OST or the deluxe edition from 20 years ago. More likely the OST, based on the wording of the re-release poster.

I'm confused. Which press release mentions that CE3K also comes with a soundtrack reissue?

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

A few individual Spielberg/Williams titles like Amistad alongside a box set would make a great year, not to mention The Last Jedi and The Papers. I'm growing doubtful on CE3K & ET being anything more than OST resissues though.

It's like they make my 90s wishes come true. The only scores from the 90s I wanted complete were Jurassic Park, The Lost World, JFK and Amistad. The first two are done, the third is announced and the last is highly probable to follow.