MV From La-La Land Records: "lots" of Williams releases are coming "in the future"

Jay

4 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

My misunderstanding. In that case, Vangelis is guilty of what you initially described

I believe Titanic is a particular offender too?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OST is more of a collection of concert pieces, and that together with edits and re-scores, most of it it bears almost no resemblance to the actual score.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I believe Titanic is a particular offender too?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the OST is more of a collection of concert pieces, and that together with edits and re-scores, most of it it bears almost no resemblance to the actual score.

That would be the Back To Titanic album. An awful release, that one.

9 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I'm confused. Which press release mentions that CE3K also comes with a soundtrack reissue?

The poster says the original soundtrack is available on Arista/Legacy Recordings.

The CE3K OST was an Arista release, but that company has been defunct for years (merged into Legacy Recordings, Sony's catalog arm). That would indicate a re-issue of Arista's album, hence the shared credit.

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The poster says the original soundtrack is available on Arista/Legacy Recordings.

The CE3K OST was an Arista release, but that company has been defunct for years (merged into Legacy Recordings, Sony's catalog arm). That would indicate a re-issue of Arista's album, hence the shared credit.

I thought so too. Apparently the OST was last issued as a hybrid SACD  a year ago or so. So if the new E.T. release is getting the OST remaster treatment then this would might see the same treatment (if not better) as another general TIE- IN release. 

On 7/29/2017 at 0:18 AM, Sally Spectra said:

Wait, weren't Saving Private Ryan and WotW from Paramount?

Click the link to the post I provided in my post you quoted, they are included in the Dreamworks section.

For Saving Private Ryan, it was distributed by Dreamworks in the US, and Paramount overseas only.

War of the Worlds was the reverse, distributed by Paramount in the US and by Dreamworks overseas.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:23 AM, bollemanneke said:

Isn't E.T. 100% complete, though?

God no, absolutely not.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Click the link to the post I provided in my post you quoted, they are included in the Dreamworks section.

For Saving Private Ryan, it was distributed by Dreamworks in the US, and Paramount overseas only.

War of the Worlds was the reverse, distributed by Paramount in the US and by Dreamworks overseas.

But I remember the Paramount logo on WotW when I saw it in cinemas in 2005. Usually they take logos off, like in Titanic. Australians have only ever known it with the Fox logo, but apparently, it has the Paramount logo in North America.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:41 PM, Romão said:

Composers normally know best. If they think the alternate and unused version of a track is the best, by all means put in an album instead of the film version. 

Or put both and everyone has the right of choice and is happy!

Quoting Jay from the other thread because my reply was more appropriate for this thread.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think what annoys me most is that the whole score is so short, he could have easily given us the entire thing plus his repeated music creations and it still would have fit on one disc.  Oh well.  Matessino to the rescue in another 7 years or so?

Hmm, A.I. came out 3 years before the Terminal and that was expanded 2 years ago. I guess MM had a strong sales pitch for that score though (and presumably they paid higher reuse fees being a more recent score).

Really though, there's not too much left with Williams/Spielberg scores:

Recording sessions leaked: Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Schindler's List, Sugarland Express

Complete expansions: Jaws, Empire of the Sun, 1941, Artificial Intelligence, Jurassic Park, The Lost World

Incomplete expansions: Indiana Jones Trilogy (won't happen until Concord's licence expires), E.T., Close Encounters, Hook (won't happen until the Ultimate War tapes are "found")

OST complete: Saving Private Ryan

OTS only, incomplete: Always, Amistad, Catch Me If You Can, The Terminal, Munich, Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, The BFG

I doubt we'll see any scores post-Tintin expanded in the foreseeable future, so anything from Always to Munich strikes me as a likely release. All 5 scores are short enough to fit on a single disc.

Any score with session leaks could happen too; i just think they'll be lower priority for LLL compared to others.

Suglarland Express did not have an OST; It should be under the "recording sessions have leaked" category

The Saving Private Ryan OST is not complete

Oh wow, didn't even know the sessions had leaked! Always assumed it had an OOP OST and Williams didn't want it re-released.

Well, updated the list.

That really only leaves 5 Spielberg/Williams scores that MM could work on (short of E.T. or CE3K, but I'm doubtful). I still think Amistad is an obvious candidate; lots of unreleased music, TLW already released from that year and it's the 20th Anniversary.

Your logic is incredibly flawed if you ask me.  What on earth does the existence or non-existence of recording sessions leaks have to do with whether or not MM would expand a score?

On 7/30/2017 at 1:32 AM, JohnnyD said:

This year also marks the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, so who knows...

They missed the opportunity to release the original films on Bluray (thank heavens for print scans), so maybe they miss this too..

We'll certainly see improved releases of the original trilogy's scores before we see the original versions of the films legally sold in HD, I'd wager money on it

13 minutes ago, Fal said:

but releasing complete scores would be much less "politically charged" than releasing the OOT though.

I heard that George Lucas doesn't want the original versions of the scores to be released, because it was not his vision.

Spoiler

:P

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Your logic is incredibly flawed if you ask me.  What on earth does the existence or non-existence of recording sessions leaks have to do with whether or not MM would expand a score?

I just feel they're in slightly lower demand for LLL because they already "exist" in raw form. Make no mistake, they'll all happen eventually, I just think they'd prioritise scores which only exist in OST form.

Happy to be proven wrong of course! Session leaks never compare to a properly edited, assembled, mastered and lossless MM release straight from the master tapes! (Sessions are often missing inserts and overdubs anyway). JW also wanted A.I. expanded because he was unhappy about an illegitimate release of that score in the wild, so I could be totally wrong about their priorities.

In any event, KOTCS still appears to be under licence, but I could see MR and WOTW happening down the line (not to mention the first two Potter scores, which will almost certainly be bundled with Azkaban).

57 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Happy to be proven wrong of course! Session leaks never compare to a properly edited, assembled, mastered and lossless MM release straight from the master tapes! (Sessions are often missing inserts and overdubs anyway). JW also wanted A.I. expanded because he was unhappy about an illegitimate release of that score in the wild, so I could be totally wrong about their priorities.

I'd rather say Williams is bothered by the session leaks and wants them to be devaluated, like the A.I. promo. It's a plus for an expansion.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I heard that George Lucas doesn't want the original versions of the scores to be released, because it was not his vision.

Dude, you got me!:lol:

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I'd rather say Williams is bothered by the session leaks and wants them to be devaluated, like the A.I. promo. It's a plus for an expansion.

Dude, you got me!:lol:

I would imagine Williams doesn't even know that sessions leak on the internet.

:lol:

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh wow, didn't even know the sessions had leaked! Always assumed it had an OOP OST and Williams didn't want it re-released.

well, it's not really a sessions leak. it's bad sounding bootleg from before the Internet

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

:lol:

Some believe he's an avid internet user. Legend states that he actually has a JWFan account, and he lurks in the forums for word of leaked recording sessions and to bash Michael Giacchino.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Some believe he's an avid internet user. Legend states that he actually has a JWFan account, and he lurks in the forums for word of leaked recording sessions and to bash Michael Giacchino.

LOL!

That does sound unbelievably out of character for him though... :P

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

So, if not, it makes no difference, if somebody tells him, that'll raise the probability of an expansion. But it does definitely not have a negative effect.

Hard to believe Williams' camp/Agency wouldn't be aware, at least superficially, of his score sessions leaking online. If nothing else it has commercial ramifications.

Whether they care that much is another discussion.

I don't believe for a moment that his camp would be unaware. I'd say JW probably knows too.

Do they care? We can't answer that. But given how much JW cares about his OST structures, I would take a guess that he probably does.

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't believe for a moment that his camp would be unaware. I'd say JW probably knows too.

Do they care? We can't answer that. But given how much JW cares about his OST structures, I would take a guess that he probably does.

He probably knows and so do the respective studios, but just like pirating and file sharing, it's totally out of their control...

6 hours ago, king mark said:

well, it's not really a sessions leak. it's bad sounding bootleg from before the Internet

But it is a session leak, though.  Yes, it was distributed pre-internet via people mailing CDRs to each other, and yes, the quality is shit because it was an analog copy of an analog copy of an analog copy, etc... and yes, the track titles are all made up and it doesn't come with the slate info, etc.  But its still the same case of someone who worked on the film shared everything recorded at the sessions with a friend, who shared it with a friend, etc

Eiger Sanction and Sugarland Express, please.

I would also love a new complete and sound effects-free Earthquake release.  I'm not familiar with the movie and the score as within it, but I assume the OST is a rerecording like everything else from that era.

That's my thinking too. Although both Raiders and SW have the live to projection factor that Harry Potter has, so it remains to be seen...

Hopefully we have all of them within the next few years.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Here's to hoping it's Minority Report or War of the Worlds! 

Or one of the Oliver Stone movies!

That would be nice. Or maybe that AND Harry Potter!

...and Amistad

...and Witches of Eastwick

...and Close Encounters and E.T.

:jump::jump:

9 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

People are forgetting it's also the 25th anniversary of Home Alone 2. ;) 

Haven't LaLa Land already released that?

21 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anything Star Wars or Harry Potter are what I'm hoping for. Some expanded Indiana Jones scores would be welcome as well.

I can't imagine how much those box sets are going to cost, but what ever it is i'll pay it. 

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I can't imagine how much those box sets are going to cost, but what ever it is i'll pay it. 

Same here. I'm guessing if a Star Wars set would be released, they'd probably want $30 for each score, so it'd probably be around $150 to $200. A little steep, but I've been waiting for such a set for over a decade!

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Same here. I'm guessing if a Star Wars set would be released, they'd probably want $30 for each score, so it'd probably be around $150 to $200. A little steep, but I've been waiting for such a set for over a decade!

$30 each would be more than reasonable. I hope if they do release all the Star Wars Scores they release them all separately, I believe more material will be released if they do it like that. 

They'd probably do it per trilogy. I doubt they'd release all 6 expansions at once.

Besides, there'll soon be 3 trilogies of scores, and we won't be waiting for expansions of TFA, TLJ and IX before getting prequel and OT expansions.