MV From La-La Land Records: "lots" of Williams releases are coming "in the future"

Jay

On 8/9/2017 at 6:19 AM, aj_vader said:

$30 each would be more than reasonable.

$30 is acceptable. $25 is reasonable. $20 or less would be more than reasonable.

And yes, more than $30 would be unreasonable.

3 hours ago, Muldoon said:

$30 is acceptable. $25 is reasonable. $20 or less would be more than acceptable.

And yes, more than $30 would be unreasonable.

Because it's Star Wars and Disney I suspect it will be more. 

5 hours ago, aj_vader said:

$30 each would be more than reasonable. I hope if they do release all the Star Wars Scores they release them all separately, I believe more material will be released if they do it like that. 

If they do it per trilogy, or as one huge box, there might be more alternates because they can just throw together an additional disc with alternates from multiple scores (ala the Indy set).

It'd be good if we could get isolated score tracks on the next blu ray release they do. Disney will have to up their game with features if they want people to buy the films all over again. 

The lack of such a quick'n'easy release thus far, or a basic reissue of the SEs, seems to indicate they have something specific planned.

IMO it's no coincidence they've only released reissues of the incomplete, but aurally excellent, OSTs under their label.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The lack of such a quick'n'easy release thus far, or a basic reissue of the SEs, seems to indicate they have something specific planned.

IMO it's no coincidence they've only released reissues of the incomplete, but aurally excellent, OSTs under their label.

Very good point! Wow I hope your right. 

Well I know now LLL won't be doing anything with Star Wars any time soon. I emailed them and they said that they wish they could, but they can't touch them because "Disney owns them now". That's the obvious retort I expected, but at least I know that such a set won't be happening from them for sure.

Yes, we were all assuming that Disney would be releasing any new versions of the Star Wars soundtracks themselves.  There is no universe where they are going to be physical-only limited editions.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

All that matters is if Disney hires Mike Matessino to do them or not.  It's a given they will come out on Disney's own music label and be mass-market releases.

Same with Indiana Jones.

I hope Intrada can do Willow though, cause Disney would never bother to do anything with it themselves.

Can't Intrada do the Star Warses since they have a deal with Disney?

They could but I doubt they'd outsource such a release, too commercially valuable a property to licence to a smaller label.

They'll keep the licence on Disney Records and flog physical and streaming releases, multiplying potential revenue streams.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Can't Intrada do the Star Warses since they have a deal with Disney?

STAR WARS  music is exclusively in Disney Label's domain. So if anything transpires it will be them only.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

I hope Intrada can do Willow though, cause Disney would never bother to do anything with it themselves.

Willow falls definitely in Intrada's realm under UMG/Disney deal as confirmed by Roger Fiegelson at FSM last year. Along with expansions of The Perfect Storm, Apollo 13 and Balto, I'am hoping if any of these can make it happen this year.

Disney COULD choose to license out the Star Wars scores to Intrada, but why would they?  They'd rather keep all the profits to themselves.  Not to mention, they want mass market CDs to sell at Disney World and in Target stores, not a niche specialty label product.

What matters is the producer hired to oversee the project, not the label it happens to come out on.

And presumably it was Lucasfilm who were always on Bouzereu's back about the amount of unreleased music for his Indy box set. Apparently we were lucky to get the 4th CD at all!

Exactly. Whether it be a contractual requirement or not, no studio is releasing an expansion or reissue of a JW score without his good graces (certainly not Lucasfilm, if they want him to keep scoring these new Star Wars films!)

And clearly MM & JW's camp are joined at the hip with expansions now, to the point JW has basically knighted him as his go-to expansion producer (with Spielberg now actively involved in the sets as well).

We're in very safe hands, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

(with Spielberg now actively involved in the sets as well)

What has Spielberg's active involvement been?  I know he has to sign off on them, but that's not active involvement.

51 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Putting them in his CD player! Duh...

He listens to music on his phone. He said as much in the Adventures of Tintin liner notes.

I can see good old Steven ripping the La-La Land sets on his computer and hurriedly uploading them on his phone the moment he receives his complimentary copy. :P 

I wonder if SS got the JP/TLW set and it was missing the teeth! 

*opens package* "Oh boy, another soundtrack set, looks good, looks good...wait...wait a minute...somethings not right here...something's missing! * looks at booklet* "They forgot to mention my involvement in the making of this soundtrack!" *chucks set in bin filled with rejected expanded releases like CEOTTK and The Terminal...*

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if SS got the JP/TLW set and it was missing the teeth! 

*opens package* "Oh boy, another soundtrack set, looks good, looks good...wait...wait a minute...somethings not right here...something's missing! * looks at booklet* "They forgot to mention my involvement in the making of this soundtrack!" *chucks set in bin filled with rejected expanded releases like CEOTTK and The Terminal...*

Steef will fix it for him!

• 1 month later...
On 28.7.2017 at 5:46 PM, Brundlefly said:

We've now been discussing for months and there are so many criteria, so that we can exclude many titles. On the other hand there are many arguments that make a few titles very probable to be expanded this year. So, meanwhile I'm 95% sure sure that it will be one of the following titles:

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind

- E.T.

- The Witches of Eastwick

- Amistad

- Harry Potter

I'll promise you, it will be at least two of them!

Well, we were right - so far!

Do you think, the titles left here are likely to follow soon?

You guys have all this faith and M&Ms will be involved in a future SW reconstruction and release. But what if Disney doesn't want him? What if the Mouse has its own producers lined up to handle the IP due to studio politics and existing loyalties behind the scenes? Someone who probably likes mastering music even brighter and louder or is perhaps too wedded to JW's old OST formatting or uses film stems like what happened on Hook? These things have a way of creeping up and I wouldn't be too complacent to ignore that possibility.

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

You guys have all this faith and M&Ms will be involved in a future SW reconstruction and release. But what if Disney doesn't want him? What if the Mouse has its own producers lined up to handle the IP due to studio politics and existing loyalties behind the scenes? Someone who probably likes mastering music even brighter and louder or is perhaps too wedded to JW's old OST formatting or uses film stems like what happened on Hook? These things have a way of creeping up and I wouldn't be too complacent to ignore that possibility.

Dont worry! Williams Management  team are very keen on MM being involved in all future restoration /expansion projects. So when ever it happens MM will be involved. MM has also written a new essay on the upcoming Vinyl reissues which are coming in November,