New JW arrangement of Schindler's List for cello and orchestra

chinaismine

Wow, awesome! Very cool to hear that he'd revisit a score like SL after 24 years. I wonder what triggered this?

I always enjoy JW's revised arrangements; he usually infuses some of his modern sensibilities into older works. I especially liked his recent Face of Pan revision, offering a far darker interpretation.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, awesome! Very cool to hear that he'd revisit a score like SL after 24 years. I wonder what triggered this?

I always enjoy JW's revised arrangements; he usually infuses some of his modern sensibilities into older works. I especially liked his recent Face of Pan revision, offering a far darker interpretation.

There's a new Face of Pan arrangement? Where can I listen to this?

I'm rather weary of the SCHINDLER'S LIST theme, beautiful and haunting as it may be. It's reached the kind of "evergreen" status of certain classical pieces through its thousands of performances over the years. I much prefer "Remembrances" or "Jewish Town" (which they played to my surprise at the recent Oslo Philharmonic concert). But I'm still mildly curious to see what new changes he has made to it, and if it's able to breathe new life into the piece.

• 2 months later...

Review of the concert:

https://janellesnotes.wordpress.com/2017/10/14/review-pops-star-wars-show-is-glorious-tribute-to-john-williams/

And interview with conductor John Russell Morris:

http://local12.com/news/good-morning-cincinnati/cincinnati-pops-to-perform-a-salute-to-john-williams

He reveals the arrangement for cello was originally written for Yo-Yo Ma, but never performed.