If Star Wars were to get an expansion, how would you want them edited?

Manakin Skywalker

How would you want them edited?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How would you want them edited?

• Sessions style (individual cues)
    • Album style (combined cues; e.g. 1997 OT SE)
    • Isolated score (yuck!)
    • Other (explain)
    • I don't care

Complete composer's intent like '97, but with no misplaced inserts - those can go to the back as bonus alternates.

Actually, for the OT, I'd be fine with the 97 version but from the actual digitized  master tapes this time instead of the water-damaged, badly stored fourth-grade copies á la RotJ.

The scores would never be released in sessions style. No point in that: some cues are meant to segue into one another (and were written wtih that in mind), so that's how they should be (and will be, when the complete scores will be released) presented on album.

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What, you don't want to wade through 800 cues? xD

Oh, I'd LOVE to hear all the alternates, clean endings and inserts, and I'd love to make an edit out of them, but on an official album release, where preferably MIke has already done that for me, I'd expect a listening experience which represents the movie well.

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I dunno if he regrets it. I mean expanded soundtrack releases were very much in its infancy. 

I'm sure he would do things differently now.

Yes, perhaps poor wording on my part. He would definitely do the SE's differently if he had the chance. I think he said as much in an interview recently?

His formatting of newer expansions is a good indication of how he'd do it (for example, Visitor in San Diego isn't combined with Ludlow's Demise despite being written as such).

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yes, perhaps poor wording on my part. He would definitely do the SE's differently if he had the chance. I think he said as much in an interview recently?

His formatting of newer expansions is a good indication of how he'd do it (for example, Visitor in San Diego isn't combined with Ludlow's Demise despite being written as such).

In some cases he even creates a little gap between consecutive cues meant to go together like The Stegosaurus and the Visitor in San Diego on the new TLW release where both are labeled "Extended" when in truth there is no new music, just two cues separated by a sliver of silence when they were more tightly edited on the OST. Which I assume is a compromise that will please the fans who love their cues separated and can if they so want create those clear endings and beginnings. ;)

As intended, but with inserts and film alternates in a bonus section. Essentially, if I can hear it in the film, it needs to be on the set somewhere (or re-creatable from it)

I think the question of combining cues should be left down to whether they were written to be combined.

Def sessions style w/ alts and whatnot in a bonus section.

Oh.. uh exactly how Richard posted above me... 

that's how i want it.

By the way, studying now the star wars special editions soundtracks, i saw that they had placed the inserts as they pleased in the cd!

In Empire Strikes back, the insert in 2 instances I think, was placed right after the passage it was meant to replace. (i think such was an instance with an insert in A.I. too)

In Return of the Jedi (i'm on track 2 right now) the insert (which replaces a portion of a cue) is placed after the whole cue is ended, right before the next cue starts.

In that regard,

I would like the cues repeated with the inserts so that we have one original cue and one alternate cue.

I also want a "Mike Matessino" treatment.

All the score + the reconstruction of the original albums (re-edited from the original cues) + all the alt versions (all the versions of Lapti Nek by example) + the extras that where recorded for the 1997 SE, of course...

The original albums already sound spectacular after being remastered last year (from the original album masters).

As long as any new release uses a fresh transfer of the original session masters, it will sound glorious.

Complete chronological score presentation, with original/alternate versions as bonus tracks plus the original classic albums on a separate disc. Chronological cues combined where clearly intended with no overly long tracks like Battle of Hoth.  Ewok Celebration AND Victory Celebration AND Lapti Nek. No Jedi Rocks.

6 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Complete chronological score presentation, with original/alternate versions as bonus tracks plus the original classic albums on a separate disc. Chronological cues combined where clearly intended with no overly long tracks like Battle of Hoth.  Ewok Celebration AND Victory Celebration AND Lapti Nek. No Jedi Rocks.

Yes, all this!

35 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

I read somewhere the ESB masters were left in a basement and were water damaged. Might have been in a document hosted by this website. Were they able to save them?

No, they were left to rot. ;)

You probably read that in Chris Malone's "Recording the Star Wars Saga" document. It wasn't the ESB masters, but those for the original Star Wars film.

"During preparation of the Special Edition films, sound designer Ben Burtt and his team located all audio recordings for the trilogy in order to source the best versions of dialog, effects and music tracks for a new 5.1 split-surround remix. At this time the original, unedited three-track 35mm magnetic film recordings of Star Wars were located as well as the 16-track master session tapes. Vice- President of postproduction at 20th Century-Fox TV, Ed Nassour, discovered the magnetic film recordings in 1986 by accident. 'They were in the back of an old editing room where a leaky roof had soaked the cases. Fortunately, the contents were still in good shape. I informed [music editor] Len [Engel], and the material was quickly placed in proper storage'."

http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.htm

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

with no overly long tracks like Battle of Hoth.

I don't like long tracks either.

Moreover, I like each cue to have it's own track, even if it's a few seconds long!:)

(I have some TV animation soundtracks, that the tracks are like this)

By the way, since these will be Disney, do you think they could be missing the Fox Fanfare? :unsure:

I don't remember how SW VII opened!

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

By the way, since these will be Disney, do you think they could be missing the Fox Fanfare? :unsure:

I don't remember how SW VII opened!

It's extremely unlikely that future expanded editions of the SW OT & PT scores will have the Fox Fanfare on it, indeed.

SW VII opened with the Lucasfilm logo over silence, "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away" over silence, then the main titles.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's extremely unlikely that future expanded editions of the SW OT & PT scores will have the Fox Fanfare on it, indeed.

:(

Then they won't be complete in my book.

31 minutes ago, Woj said:

Doesn't matter. I swapped out all the Fox Fanfares in my playlists with the one sung by Ralph Wiggum. 

This is even better!

OMG, I laugh each time!!:lol:

Surely a smart man like yourself knows how to create a playlist that takes the Fox Fanfare from one CD, and the rest of the music from another?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Surely a smart man like yourself knows how to create a playlist that takes the Fox Fanfare from one CD, and the rest of the music from another?

Thank you for the compliment but I didn't want to have to do that.

Especially, since i don't copy my cds in my hard drive.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Every now and again, a JWFan inadvertently reveals themselves to be completely insane.

:lol:

well, i consider the Fox Fanfare an intergral part of the Star Wars music.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Nothing fancy, Mike just needs to give it the same treatment he gave 1941, Empire of the Sun, both Home Alones, AI, Jurassic Park, and TLW.  

It'll be great when it ever happens.

This.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Moreover, I like each cue to have it's own track, even if it's a few seconds long!:)

So, let's say for a complete Potter release, you'd like to have each cue for the Quidditch Match sequence to be presented separately?

This is a simple question.  The music is of operatic quality.  I don't need to hear the individual takes rather the "vocal line".  The 1997 album style of combined cues which presents a musical concept as complete. 

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So, let's say for a complete Potter release, you'd like to have each cue for the Quidditch Match sequence to be presented separately?

How many there are? I don't remember.

But, yes.

58 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

How many there are? I don't remember.

But, yes.

It is divided into four cues. And that doesn't really make for the most pleasant listening experience when they cut off suddenly when they are clearly meant to be edited together and were recorded separately for convenience purposes.

16 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Indeed!

I too like having every cue with a clean ending and clean beginning, in case I'm just interested in a particular part in a lengthy musical sequence, but I've got the recording sessions for that. I'd rather have the cues combined as intended on an official complete release.

Pretty much yes although the musical flow is what I think is an important factor. E.g. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has very long stretches of continous music but I would not like to have that score compiled into those long 15 minute suites. Then again I never had problems with the mammoth pieces like the Battle of Hoth presented as a one long piece. So I guess it varies.

As a hobby I sometimes like to edit expanded scores from the recording sessions. 10 minutes is usually the maximum length I go for. Any longer than that and I'll split the track in half.

And they could also restore other film edits while they are at it. In the spirit of the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition!

No lengthy suites please. Cues should should be sequence based and in chronological order. I'm sure the right man who would eventually assemble  this will do the right thing (when the right time comes) ;)

I personally would prefer straight sessions style, leaving me to edit the tracks together as I please. What I actually expect to get is a version with certain cues combined and others not, which isn't the end of the world. The main thing for me is that all the music is present, chronological, and well-edited (or not at all). And I'm pretty sure that's what we'll get.

16 minutes ago, Datameister said:

The main thing for me is that all the music is present, chronological, and well-edited (or not at all). And I'm pretty sure that's what we'll get.

Yep!