New recording of Tuba Concerto being released the end of the month

curlytoot

I hope somebody records this concerto on Bass Trombone (I know Charles Vernon did, but that was the piano reduction; I'm talking the full orchestral version).  Boston Pops bass trombonist James Markey played the third movement a couple times this past season during their John Williams tribute concerts and it sounded incredible!  (I'm pretty sure one of the concerts in question is available online).  The trombone has a punchier, much more direct sound than the tuba, the articulations were crisp, and gave such new life to the piece that I never really heard before.  If they had performed the entire concerto, I have no doubt that it would have instantly become my favorite version.

Former BSO principal trombone Douglas Yeo gave the premiere of the Bass Trombone version in 1988, and the concert was broadcast back then. So a recording exists, sadly, isn't available to the common mortals...

On 11/08/2017 at 11:25 AM, Jilal said:

Still waiting to hear A Toast!.

I glad we're getting a new recording of the Tuba Concerto. Sure, I would love the unreleased stuff, but hey, be happy with what we get! As the interest in Williams concert output grows, that can only mean that we'll eventually get the unrecorded stuff probably sooner than later.

Of course, @Miguel Andrade! Interest in Williams's concert repertoire surely seems to have reached new heights lately, the premiere European performance of the 'Concerto for Cello and Orchestra' being somewhat of a pinnacle in this development. I can only hope this interest continues to grow, as there is so much more music in Williams's oeuvre to be discovered by those not familiar with his work.

I'm very fond of the maestro's unmatched fanfaric writing for brass and wind bands however, so that might explain my longing to hear 'A Toast!'. ;)

• 1 month later...

Added to the discography:

p_NYPO_175.jpg

New York Philharmonic Orchestra - 175th Anniversay - 2016/2017 Season (2017, New York Philharmonic Digital Release; Bray, Baer/New York Philh. O/Gilbert, Robertson)

John Williams: Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra (Baer, New York Philh. O, Robertson).

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm