James Newton Howard's WATERWORLD - NEW La-la Land 2CD Complete Edition!

Jay

On 4/5/2020 at 2:21 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

So which ones are the standout tracks of this expanded Waterworld release, that could convince me to purchase it?

This isn't a score where the complete version offers a radically different experience than the OST; The OST already had all the right highlights, and the revised track order makes it a very solid listening experience.

I'd only recommend the expansion to someone who already knows and loves the OST.  If you do, there is a bunch of additional music here that is really great to have, but if I had to pick a standout section, it would be the 14 minute action sequence from near the beginning of the film.  These tracks:

1-08 Recycled* / Smokers Sighted / Battle* / The Balloon* 7:12

1-09 Helen Frees the Mariner 3:32
1-10 Opening the Gates* 3:20

Out of those 14 solid minutes of action greatness, only 5 minutes was on the OST album.

Not really. Although the action music in the film is fun, my main attraction is the exotic textures. Tracks like "Swimming" is what it's all about to me. I sampled the expansion once, and then deleted it quickly before it tainted my appreciation of the listening experience (which happened with Arnold's GODZILLA, for example). I have no intention of revisiting it any time soon.

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Should I buy it?

I think if you already like the OST album, you'll like the expanded release too.  The OST is brilliantly assembled and definitely contains all the highlights, but the new longer main program is also good, with more of every type of music, including more great action music.

If you're not already a fan of the score, then go listen to the OST album for free on Spotify or whatever and then decide if you want more of it

• 3 weeks later...

A unique mix of swashbuckling action, gentle lullabies, ethnic sounds and synths that somehow still stands together as a kickass score instead of falling apart. Pretty good art direction, above average for Goldwasser I'd say, lovely liner notes with JHN going deeper in a new interview than I'm used to with the fragments of comments we usually get, the inclusion of the session wrap speech is such a nice touch... get this one, folks, before it sails away!

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 4:12 AM, Jay said:

Only 500 copies left, then it's out of print

Phew, another one to tick off the list! Excited to hear this score, I barely know it (but I'm a fan of JNH).

Curiously can't work out how many of this item are left in stock at LLL now. Their website allows you to add 5000 copies into the cart :P

• 7 months later...

“GOING OUT OF PRINT ALERT”

Less than 300 units remain of James Newton Howard’s WATERWORLD (2-SET)! Get it now before the Mariner is gone for good!

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2g0xqv--w941o-ag4f6q0