Shmi's Theme

jsawruk

Anyone have a transcription of this theme? I am looking for the sheet music to it. All I need is the theme...

If not, does anyone have an EXACT timing on a CD where this theme can be clearly heard?

I just can't seem to find it as it only occurs once or twice, and I want to be absolutely sure that I am referencing the proper motif.

Anyone have a transcription of this theme? I am looking for the sheet music to it. All I need is the theme...  

If not, does anyone have an EXACT timing on a CD where this theme can be clearly heard?  

I just can't seem to find it as it only occurs once or twice, and I want to be absolutely sure that I am referencing the proper motif.

Uh, no offense, but if you're a composer, can't you do this yourself?

Being a composer really has nothing to do with it. I am simply not familiar with this theme because I have not listened to and watched it enough.

It's like th Ring cycle. The first time you watch it, you pick up the major themes. You only pick up the minor themes upon multiples viewings.

Shmi's theme can surely be considered a little bit more than a minor theme. It is referenced quite alot in TPM in many ways.

Let's see.

You can hear Shmi's theme in the following tracks:

-end of Track 25 (CD1), Watto's Deal / Shmi and Qui-Gon Talk

-beginning of Track 27 (CD1), The Racer Roars to Life / Anakin's Midi-Chlorian Count

-and twice in Anakin is Free, Track 1 (CD2)

shmi.jpg

That doesn't seem like the right theme, sciss. There's a theme that's both in TPM and AOTC. I've only heard it in one track on TPM "Anakin is Free", which is played by a solo(?) oboe around 3:50. You get nearly the same passage (solo oboe, same theme) around 1:25 of "Tusken Camp and the Homestead". I've got most of it down and when I do, I'll post a screenshot of it.

Yeah, that's it. Here's my version. I listened to both tracks and composed from there, with no help from a keyboard. Just picked it out by ear.

shmi.jpg

I made the music on Finale 2000. Then I took a screenshot of it by hitting the "Print Screen/SysRq" button (which copies an image of the screen to the clipboard). Then you can open up Paint or Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and right-click in the workspace, click Paste, and you've got your screenshot. You're just a crop, click, and save away from having the same thing we made.

It already has caught on. I know a couple of other people have already posted music here, including me (see my threads on LOTR and TTT themes in Other Topics).

Also, be sure to check out my website http://themes.jw-music.net

I assume that scissorhands transcription is the most accurate?

I spent "near'y" and hour trying to translate "Tusken Camp" to Finale with nothing but my own two ears. The note durations may be off slightly, but they're definitely in the neighborhood. If you don't believe me, try playing the MIDI and CD/MP3 track at once. :thumbup:

:) "The Visitors/Bye/End Titles: Special Edition" from CE3K: Collector's Ed.

I know it appears in AOTC when Anakin is talking about her with Obi-Wan just before the "Chase Through Coruscant".

Neil - who gets about this far into the film and then gets utterly disgusted

That doesn't seem like the right theme, sciss.  There's a theme that's both in TPM and AOTC.  I've only heard it in one track on TPM "Anakin is Free", which is played by a solo(?) oboe around 3:50.  You get nearly the same passage (solo oboe, same theme) around 1:25 of "Tusken Camp and the Homestead".  I've got most of it down and when I do, I'll post a screenshot of it.

Hmm,with just this little segment of music it's a bit stretched to call it a theme or even a motif.

I also thought of something else initially.

K.M.

If what I thought was Shmi's theme is not the actual theme, then I don't know which other melody it could be. It seems a little odd that a melody would appear in two scenes involving the same character in two movies.

I have a feeling it's not very character specific.Maybe Williams just quoted a bit of Anakin is Free so we'd just associate that scene when he leaves his mother

K.M..

Hi, I'm hoping this is how to reply..

Ok, so I thought I'd offer a little clarification - it's cert true to say that TMP is v thematic - here we have two themes. The first which was quoted towards the top is Shmi's theme - though it doesn't really have a definate form, since it's slightly varied each time (representing the caring, plaible Mother figure...)

The theme which was quoted after that, and which also appears a couple of times in AOTC represents Ani being apart from his Mum I mean Mom - or Ani missing her, or something along those lines. Though perhaps hinted at earlier, it's first heard properly on an oboe, outside, as they're about to say goodbye. And then we last hear it, drifting away, as Shmi dies in Ani's arms (forever seperated in death you see/)

Of course the 2 themes are related - JW probably intended the slight similarities in the first couple bars - but ess they're 2 distinct themes.

That concludes my presentation, thank you for your attention.

Queasly.