'James Horner - A Life in Music' 24 October 2017 Royal Albert Hall

publicist

By a lucky accident i work in London just the week before this concert and will stay for the occasion. Apart from croc possibly, is there anyone else also going to this?

About: https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2017/james-horner-a-life-in-music/

I wish too!  I loved the concert of the Pacific Symphony that featured his Flight overture (sadly before his death), Goldenthal's Symphony, Williams' Soundings, Howard Shore's Cello Concerto so if you make it you are in for a treat.  Horner sounds great with a live orchestra.

• 1 month later...

I had a good time at this. They played something from 7 of my top 10 Horner scores so I can't complain. Both act closers were particularly great and a special nod to Krull which I certainly never thought I'd get a chance to hear live. The orchestra did a great job for sure. The only slight downer was that they played A Beautiful Mind again as an encore over the end credits and the night just seemed to end on a bit of a whimper with the audience wanting/expecting more. At least that's how it felt to me. Still though, great music performed expertly well. Another night at the RAH to remember!

2 hours ago, serenifly said:

I had a good time at this. They played something from 7 of my top 10 Horner scores so I can't complain. Both act closers were particularly great and a special nod to Krull which I certainly never thought I'd get a chance to hear live. The orchestra did a great job for sure. The only slight downer was that they played A Beautiful Mind again as an encore over the end credits and the night just seemed to end on a bit of a whimper with the audience wanting/expecting more. At least that's how it felt to me. Still though, great music performed expertly well. Another night at the RAH to remember!

Agreed, although I did really enjoy A Beautiful Mind so did not mind hearing it again as an encore.  As the Cinematic Sinfonia is doing three film music concerts in the space of less than a week at the Royal Albert Hall, I can understand if they did not have any 'new' encores planned.

I thought all the soloists were brilliant, especially Eric Rigler (on the uilleiann pipes and whistles in Braveheart and Titanic) and Clara Sanabras, who I thought managed to sing My Heart Will Go On better than Celine Dion did back in the day.  Did anyone else notice that they printed a picture of Basil the Great Mouse Detective in the programme by mistake, when I assume they wanted a picture of Fievel from An American Tail?  £8 and they couldn't get the right cartoon mouse!

This was the first time I had seen a whole concert devoted to James Horner's music.  He was curiously reluctant to entertain the idea in his lifetime because he didn't think people would be interested enough.  I wish he could have been there yesterday to witness the audience reaction to his music.  Anyhoo, here are a few of my blurry pics as per.  The top one shows (left to right at front of stage) conductor Ludwig Wicki, violinist Elizabeth Mooney (soloist in Iris), singers Alice Zawadski and Clara Sanabras, Eric Rigler.  The choir was the Crouch End Festival Chorus.

DSC02424.JPG

DSC02423.JPG

DSC02426.JPG

1 minute ago, Omen II said:

Did anyone else notice that they printed a picture of Basil the Great Mouse Detective in the programme by mistake, when I assume they wanted a picture of Feivel from An American Tail?  £8 and they couldn't get the right cartoon mouse!

Ha!

38 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Agreed, although I did really enjoy A Beautiful Mind so did not mind hearing it again as an encore.  As the Cinematic Sinfonia is doing three film music concerts in the space of less than a week at the Royal Albert Hall, I can understand if they did not have any 'new' encores planned.

I thought all the soloists were brilliant, especially Eric Rigler (on the uilleiann pipes and whistles in Braveheart and Titanic) and Clara Sanabras, who I thought managed to sing My Heart Will Go On better than Celine Dion did back in the day.

A Beautiful Mind was very well done for sure.

Rigler is great. Braveheart live to picture would be a must see for me! I'm sure Rigler would be there stealing the show. Hopefully the universe can make it so someday.

22780485_10208403887773334_5475310527758

The selection and players/conductor were almost uniformly excellent (the less said about the dreaded Titanic and American Tail pop numbers the better...) - that 'Battle in the Swamp' (Krull) and 'The Flying Cirus' (Rocketeer) would be played in any concert in my lifetime i did not expect.

Given Horner's penchant for populist pop songs after 'Titanic' i would have wished myself an inclusion of either the song of 'A Beautiful Mind' or 'The New World', both much better capturing Horner's classical sensibilities.

The inclusions of film clips by Horner and his collaborators was a brilliant idea, as they 'framed' the event better for the non-fans. In fact, Gibson and Cameron spoke refreshingly candid, not sparing (mildly) sarcastic remarks (about themselves, Hollywood filmmaking or Horner) so it was not just the usual gushing notes.