E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

Great cover art! Something unused from the archives?

Good to see the Matessino/Williams/Spielberg/Universal/Amblin collaboration forging ahead after last year's superb Jurassic set.

Potentially Schindler's List might be in the works for the 25th Anniversary next year?

Wish I hadn't listened to the previous expansion earlier in the week. :lol: Would've been nice to save myself up.

Looking at the excellent cue list breakdown here, there's a lot more revisions and alternates than I realised, not even factoring in the OST tracks.

Wonder how MM has handled the inserts for Escape/Chase/Goodbye and which version will appear in the complete chronological score presentation on disc 1? I prefer the insert included but that wasn't JWs original intention.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wish I hadn't listened to the previous expansion earlier in the week. :lol: Would've been nice to save myself up.

Looking at the excellent cue list breakdown here, there's a lot more revisions and alternates than I realised, not even factoring in the album versions from the OST. Wonder how MM has handled the inserts for Escape/Chase/Goodbye and which version will appear in the complete chronological score presentation on disc 1? I prefer the insert included but it's not JWs original intention (or so I thought).

I expect they have championed the inclusion of the film version in main score programme and the original version in the extras. Unless they include the OST in the set and then it would be there already and they would not probably replicate it in the score programme. But when Matessino is involved I trust that the presentation is going to be awesome.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

MM always puts the takes and inserts chosen for the film in the main program and original versions without inserts in the bonus track area

Good ol' MM. :) 

There is no reason that everything recorded for this film wouldn't fit on two discs, no.  The complete score easily fits on one, the OST was only 40 minutes, there are way less than 40 minutes worth of alternates we know about, including that theme park music

Would they include a theme park ride material on a score release as it is not part of the original score and was composed so many years later? Seems somewhat unlikely but I am happy to be proven wrong on this.

Well, as you may have noticed, it's the only one that has got a definitive release yet.

I mean, look how much of the 90s is already done.

Do you think that nullifies the chance, that we'll get Close Encounters this year?

So how do we get these in Europe without it costing at least 40 more with shipping and customs? Wait for somebody to put it up on Amazon and Ebay?

I echo the statement of wanting the music from the ride. I know it isn't from the film, but how else would we ever get such music? It's a golden opportunity (something I wish would have been done for Back to the Future, but at least we have that old re-recording for it). I can see the hurdle of rights issues, of course.

I totally forgot about the theme park music! Surely if MM wanted it included, a quick phone call from Spielberg could have the planets align?

Don't get your hopes up though.

In order for the theme park music to be included,

1) All rights issues must be sorted out

2) The source element for the recording must be located and transferred

3) JW must approve of its inclusion on the set

1 minute ago, Jay said:

In order for the theme park music to be included,

1) All rights issues must be sorted out

2) The source element for the recording must be located and transferred

3) JW must approve of its inclusion on the set

For now we don't know if that hasn't been done, but I guess it's safe to assume it probably won't be included...

4 minutes ago, azahid said:

I like the artwork-I'm thinking it must be Jim Titus! Another great talent from LLL team.

Jim Titus has done every one of the LLL / JW / SS expansions so far, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do these two as well!

He is unequivocally the best in the business, hands down.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jim Titus has done every one of the LLL / JW / SS expansions so far, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do these two as well!

He is unequivocally the best in the business, hands down.

He is indeed. I'm quite sure he is on board for the rest of series. The only LLL; release he didnt do was ROSEWOOD. 

That's why I included SS in my assessment :)

He also didn't do the first version of Home Alone, nor older stuff like Poseidon Adventure

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

So how will this (OST) remaster differ from the one that will be in the 4K BluRay set?

It appears that this Blu ray 4k release will only contain the OST album. Whereas LLL will be issuing both the complete soundtrack assembly of disc 1 and the 1982 OST album on disc 2 (with possible alternates bonus cues) in their 2 CD presentation. We should wait for the official details in coming weeks.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Pretty cool to hear about an expanded E.T. while attending a screening of Close Encounters.

I imagine so.