E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of the cover art. It's looks nice - very nice in fact -, but compared to the classic "ouch" and Moon covers, I can't help finding it rather un-iconic.

That! I feel this released deserved a really unique kind of cover. While this looks like nice artwork, does not fit on my perception of unique.

Other than that, this will probably be one of my favourite releases of a year already filled with tons of great releases (not just on the soundtrack/film music field, as I rarely buy film scores anymore, unless they have the name "John Williams" on it).

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Now, after these two releases there is surprisingly few non-Indy-and-SW scores left from the 20th century:

Dracula

The Witches of Eastwick

Born on the Fourth of July

Hook

JFK

Nixon

Amistad

That's it, IMO.

Far and Away has some good stuff not released including that terrific alternate version of the end credits. I really want an expansion of this one. 25th anniversary maybe?

Another thing about the music from the E.T. Adventure is that it's very obscure despite it being known among the JW circle that he worked on it. Most people haven't even heard the music I'm talking about and going to the last remaining E.T. ride at Universal in Florida these days doesn't even guarantee you'll hear anything. It's like the speakers blew a decade ago and/or they forgot there even was music. Even they don't play the music. I spent days going through YouTube recordings of the ride and not one of them captured the music. I know I didn't dream it up. I went on that ride so many times from being a little squirt up until 2012. The music was there, I'm telling you. It's real.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Of course this will contain the OST. There is no doing in my mind. Why do so many sound as if there's a chance it won't be?

Well, if indeed several of the "OST" album tracks are in fact the film recordings, the album might not be included as such. Perhaps the film tracks are just included as part of the main programme, or as alternates if they have editing differences, with the additional album recordings as further bonus tracks. (In that case, you could still create a playlist to mimic the original album, obviously)

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, if indeed several of the "OST" album tracks are in fact the film recordings, the album might not be included as such. Perhaps the film tracks are just included as part of the main programme, or as alternates if they have editing differences, with the additional album recordings as further bonus tracks. (In that case, you could still create a playlist to mimic the original album, obviously)

Probably not. The actual 3 score tracks which are also on the OST will be on both discs. It's always been that way.

9 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I think the OST and 1996 CD sound great. My only issue was with the 2002 version, which Shawn Murphy jacked up the bass and treble.

I feel the same way aboout the 2002 version. The tight crisp brightness was considerably reduced. I barely listened to it although the SACD sounds slightly better. Im sure we will see Matessinos magic on this one too!

This is awesome! I had a feeling. This AND Close Encounters of the Third Kind (probably in October, November or even December); a perfect way to commemorate the anniversaries of these films. Thank you, Maestro.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

I'm still not sure the film version of Adventures on Earth is the same as the original OST. The 2 horn blasts at 12.43 aren't in the film

I am sure there will be time for worrying and gnashing of teeth when the set comes out.

Although I have to say I have the utmost confidence in Mike Matessino's album producing skills. I can't find a single thing to complain about in e.g. Jaws, Jaws 2, Empire of the Sun or JP Collection releases.

10 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Another thing about the music from the E.T. Adventure is that it's very obscure despite it being known among the JW circle that he worked on it. Most people haven't even heard the music I'm talking about and going to the last remaining E.T. ride at Universal in Florida these days doesn't even guarantee you'll hear anything. It's like the speakers blew a decade ago and/or they forgot there even was music. Even they don't play the music. I spent days going through YouTube recordings of the ride and not one of them captured the music. I know I didn't dream it up. I went on that ride so many times from being a little squirt up until 2012. The music was there, I'm telling you. It's real.

The JWFan search engine swallowed it up into the void.

7 hours ago, azahid said:

Here is Mike Matessino talking about E.T. at Spielbergfilms.com discussion .

[...]

Problem is the 2002 CD has much-improved sound quality as compared to the 1982 release (or the LD iso-score) so if you have the capability of doing so it's better to use the 1982 album for just that insert, adding a bit of EQ to make a better match.

[...]

Erm... WHAT??

9 hours ago, azahid said:

Remember this thread?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26729-et

Jay is the only one being optimistic about it. Well 35th is here and we have E.T. 2CD coming. ;)

Reading through that thread and looking and when it was, it seems the reason they asked Intrada not to work on ET at the time was because they wanted Jurassic Park and Lost World out first!  I wonder if all future JW/SS/MM expansions will come out on the LLL label now (apart from Indiana Jones scores which will of course come out on Disney Records).  Really only Jaws has not been by LLL; 1941, Empire of Sun, AI, JP, TLW, ET, and CE3K are all LLL!

8 hours ago, king mark said:

I'm still not sure the film version of Adventures on Earth is the same as the original OST. The 2 horn blasts at 12.43 aren't in the film

You're exactly correct!  The track on the original 1982 LP is the EXACT film version throughout the entire thing - exact same takes and edit points - EXCEPT for the horn overlay at 12:42 for the "I'll be right here" moment.  That overlay wasn't used in the film.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

He was speaking of the best sources for fan edits.  Let's hope he was able to locate all the actual sources to build the set he describes for real.

Yes, but he still says the official 2002 CD sounds much better than the original album. The main reason I'm excited for the new set is the hopefully much improved sound quality compared to the 2002 release; other previously unreleased tracks are welcome but secondary to that for me.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's no reason to think this won't be the best sounding version of ET yet.

Oh, I don't really think that. I'm more baffled than worried by Matessino's comment.

Hmm.  I hope he doesn't forget the triangle just before E.T. makes the bikes fly at the end.  He mentions the insert needing to be taken from the 1982 album, but not the triangle.  That needs to be in there for a true film version, too, and it was left out of the 2002 CD.

As for a price, this thing could be $50 and it would still be mine.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you honestly think Matessino would miss an overlay in any score, yet alone an iconic overlay in one of his favorite scores of all time?

No, not really.  lol  I was just going by the quote and nothing else.  I'm sure it'll be fantastic!  Really digging that cover art.  Can't wait to pick this up.  It'll be nice to finally retire my own fanedit of Escape/Chase/Goodbye. :)

I'm afraid not. His digital master was only used to make and analog dub, running at 30ips on 1/4" tape, and that was used to make the 1982 LP and the subsequent CD releases.

He said to pay attention to the very opening of the first track. If there's hiss present, than it's the analog dub. And sure thing, there it is. :(

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Do you think the original albums for 1941, Superman: The Movie, Empire of the Sun, Home Alone, JP, TLW, or AI sound better than the Matessino versions?

Some of these are definitely debatable. The remastered versions of many just sounded brighter and louder. Many people here were digitally vocal about how they didn't like the new Jurassic Park mix.

This is an absolute dream come true.  I'm shocked at how quickly these timeless Spielberg/Williams releases are dropping.  Very, very excited for this.  Jay, pass along my thanks to Mike for all this unbelievable progress!!!!

Yep! E.T. and CE3K, with MM touch, the same year, with a few months apart from each other? I sure don't wanna wake up from this dream...

On 11/10/2016 at 9:36 PM, phbart said:

Jaws first expansion was in 2000, and the definitive expansion was in 2015, 15 years from one to the other. E.T. latest expansion was in 2002, 14 years ago.

So all we have to do is wait another year... :)

Gee, didn't even remember this! I'm beginning to wonder about my supernatural powers now :)

Oh, mighty Lord of film scores, thou shall make Lucasfilm give Indy to Intrada next year...

Roger Feigelson at FSM forum (http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=121219&archive=0):

I get that the Jurassic Park two-fer was a good indicator, but why wasn't it possible in your view that Intrada might tackle this, given their work on Jaws & Jaws 2?

Yavar

It was possible for Intrada to do ET; they have a good track record with Universal. Just seemed more likely with LLL, given the trend with Williams titles the last few years. They seem to have cornered that market.

-Rick O.

Funny thing is we asked about it right after Jaws but there was no interest in revisiting E.T. at the time. Things change of course. It goes without saying it's in great hands with LaLaLand. I keep pressing on the Indiana Jones titles, but LucasFilm is holding off as they solidify their strategy around the franchise.

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The cover really is lovely.  Much nicer than this Rambo: First Blood Part II cover.

R-7495791-1442670197-8247.jpeg.jpg

That cover looks exactly like the movie. The E.T. cover shows Elliot with his bike on a cliff in Porter Ranch watching a spaceship, which never happens. I don't dislike it, but it looks like the cover of the junior novelization or something.