E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

I find the mood of the score most agreeable. It has romance and sadness. I also love the sort of ethereal stuff in Pete in Heaven and the badass synthy buildup in The Rescue Operation.

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Always' has two keepers, 'Among the Clouds' and 'Dorinda Solo Flight'. The rest is eminently forgettable.

I guess you're not into atmospheric "unthematic" (if we can call it) music?

I LOVE "Pete in Heaven" track.

It's so relaxing and magical...

I completeley agree with @rough cut about Always being a much better score than BFG.

The Spielberg/Williams album was my introduction to Always. I didn't know what it was at the time, but the track was a standout for me. I woke up one morning and the movie was on TV. The rest is history.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I guess you're not into atmospheric "unthematic" (if we can call it) music?

I am but Williams is not exactly a big champ in that department. 

Both 'Among The Clouds' and 'Dorinda...' are great cues!

But what about 'Follow Me' And 'Saying Goodbye' which are two other favourites of mine... Both wonderful, wonderful tracks.

But, oooh, the best track on the album us probably 'Return'.

I think you have a bit of a limited understanding of the term. Americana in its broadest sense of course includes the kind of harmonizations and open chords employed in 'Always' (or 'Field of Dreams', same year). What else would it be?

Well, then you surely understand that the pop modernizations of this idiom include thousands of examples over the decades, including at the fringes of course also typical 80's fare like Horner's 'Field of Dreams' or, indeed, 'Always' (which isn't pop but a mix of typical americana gestures and orchestrations plus minimalist atmospherics)

What's with the patronizing tone?

Yes yes it's all good and true. I wasn't saying that Lincoln was the only americana album out there.

I think you have a bit of a limited understanding of the subtle aspects of communication. Surely you understand that some comments are made to draw unexpected connections, make a point and/or be a little bit tounge-in-cheek. 

21 hours ago, rough cut said:

But, oooh, the best track on the album us probably 'Return'.

The first minute of "The Return" is one of the most emotional and at the same time subtlest moments in JW's career. It's a perfect mix of romantic, sadness and pure luck*.

*set out of context from the movie

It's a very emotional scene as well. I believe that underscores the aftermath of the explosion that kills Pete. Spielberg became notorious in that era for overusing really annoying reaction shots of people with the camera zooming in (see (or don't): the War Horse trailer), a technique Roland Emmerich ripped off and Spielberg overuses to this day. The reaction of John Goodman, however, is brilliant.

8 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

It's a very emotional scene as well. I believe that underscores the aftermath of the explosion that kills Pete. Spielberg became notorious in that era for overusing really annoying reaction shots of people with the camera zooming in (see (or don't): the War Horse trailer), a technique Roland Emmerich ripped off and Spielberg overuses to this day. The reaction of John Goodman, however, is brilliant.

Sorry to distract from such a lovely discussion about Always, but...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a third disc, that contained the performance from The Shrine for the 20th anniversary!

I know the recording probably isn't that good, and there's probably alot of background noise and what not... But still. It would be cool to have! Hell, I'd even take it as bonus download-only content.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Sorry to distract from such a lovely discussion about Always, but...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a third disc, that contained the performance from The Shrine for the 20th anniversary!

I know the recording probably isn't that good, and there's probably alot of background noise and what not... But still. It would be cool to have! Hell, I'd even take it as bonus download-only content.

That's available on the 2002 DVD as an alternate audio track

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I have both the DVD and the blu. I thought that the Shrine audio track was on both of them. I stand corrected.

But regardless, is noone feeling me that this would be a sweet extra?

A concert complete with dialogue and sound effects from the film?

Not interested.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Since this is gonna be released in a few days, how come we don't have a track list yet?

I think in other cases you get the track list days or weeks before the cd gets released.

When has a track list ever been revealed weeks in advance? LLL has a pretty regular release schedule. Expect it tomorrow in an email. 

17 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I think I'm going to try them out with some Horner stuff and see how it goes. Shipping from America makes these releases very expensive.

Please let us know, because I will be ordering from them from now on, since purchases from USA go through customs.

I'm waiting for a package from SAE for more than 2 months now, I think it got lost. :(