E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

7 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Same for me.   The complete certainly has upped my listens of 1941 and Empire

Empire for me, as well, 1941 not so much.

The only track from 1941 I sometimes listen to is not even on the 1941 albums. It's the March on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD. :D

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sorry, but only one Williams score gets to be called "Empire" on its own and it ain't "of the Sun."

haha that is true!

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Empire for me, as well, 1941 not so much.

The only track from 1941 I sometimes listen to is not even on the 1941 albums. It's the March on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CD. :D

That's a fantastic recording.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sorry, but only one Williams score gets to be called "Empire" on its own and it ain't "of the Sun."

ROTFLMAO

Well, in this case it was clear which scores we were talking about.....

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Listened to the Halloween sample.

This is my favourite spot with the preparing of the main theme.

Got goosebumps and wanted to cry!

Can't believe that this film and this score get me still, no matter how many times I'll watch/listen to it.

it's the film that I mostly relate to, that's why it's my favourite of all time.

Alone (E.T.) in an alien and maybe hostile world (earth) searching for some love...

Hear, hear!

So, first impressions: it restored the life and body that was taken away from the 2002 release, and it has from similar to better power than the 1996 CD, without the hiss.

Man, what the fuck were they thinking with that 2002 release??? I'm junking that darn thing right now!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

The Rescue/The Chase/The Departure requires no nostalgia to be riveting and beautiful.

ET has never been one of my absolute favorite scores, but that sequence has ALWAYS been one of my absolutely favorite film score compositions EVER.

I can't stand all the tuttis and cymbal crashes anymore. At least not with those themes playing. The schmaltz in the goodbye scene excepted, Horner really learned how to emote to the hilt from that.

E.T. remains a great childhood memories, I remember they took the school to see it at the cinema, and it was in english! Of course, I understood nothing, but I guess I understood the essential for a 8 yo child. Look what I do now!

Website updated: http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Sometimes BIG emotions are called for.  Just like sometimes you feel BIG emotions.  The jaded instinct that understated is always better makes me sad.

Yes!

4 minutes ago, phbart said:

It's not 15 munutes on the new release anymore... :(

Actually it may be better this way.

For one, you can listen to these 2 tracks consecutively anyway, and for another, now you can more easily enjoy the big finale without listening to the whole 15 minutes! 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sometimes BIG emotions are called for.  Just like sometimes you feel BIG emotions.  The jaded instinct that understated is always better makes me sad.

(not saying going BIG is always right)

It's right in early Spielberg movies!

Ordered! I added The Fury to it too, not least because there happens to be a one-third discount on it. They'll join JPC and Waterworld on my ever-growing LLL collection (well, the latter will once it actually gets out their door -- hopefully today). The LLL folks do know how to get me to unass some money.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

For one, you can listen to these 2 tracks consecutively anyway, and for another, now you can more easily enjoy the big finale without listening to the whole 15 minutes! 

Indeed.  It's win win.

1 minute ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Ordered! I added The Fury to it too, not least because there happens to be a one-third discount on it. They'll join JPC and Waterworld on my ever-growing LLL collection (well, the latter will once it actually gets out their door -- hopefully today). The LLL folks do know how to get me to unass some money.

Huh, I had to look up that word, I had never heard it before.  I like it.

Were you in the military?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

You know you can listen to tracks consecutively, right?

It's not the same thing. What if I accidently press the "skip track" button during the escape sequrnce? What it will do? What will happen??? Will it jump to the end credits??? NO, my friends! It will jump to the departure sequence, and one CANNOT appreciate the departure sequence fully and properly without the rescue and bike chase sequence.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

(not saying going BIG is always right)

It's more about too much custard on the cake. But of course uppish putdowns in defense of E. T.'s finale are expected and welcomed.

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Just listen to CD 2. The OST is all you need anyway.

It's been 15 minutes for the past 35 years. Somethings you don't change. It's like wanting to change a guy (or gal) sexual orientation. It's just not possible. You can't. You can't! AAAAAHHHHHH... YOU CAN'T!!! (pfew)... okay, now I fell better. :)

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Indeed.  It's win win.

Huh, I had to look up that word, I had never heard it before.  I like it.

Were you in the military?

No, never. I can't remember where I came across that turn of phrase, or even the last time I used it. Now I wonder if I've got any others...

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's more about too much custard on the cake. But of course uppish putdowns in defense of E. T.'s finale are expected and welcomed.

I mean....yeah.  You express negativity toward one of the cornerstones of JW's career on a message board devoted to him, pushback is basically asked for.

Details I noted from the samples:

- Different (and better) transition from "Far From Home" to "E.T. Alone". Nice!

- "E.T.'s Powers", the part where E.T. makes the little planets fly (0:14 to 0:29 on the sample), has an (unidentifiable for me) instrument overlay that's not on the 96 and 02 CD. Dunno if it's on the LD iso score.

- "Searching for E.T.", it looks like the same take they used on the 96 CD (which is different from 02 and LD iso score, but I like it better anyway). Maybe the alternate version on CD2 will have that.

7 minutes ago, phbart said:

"E.T.'s Powers", the part where E.T. makes the little planets fly (0:14 to 0:29 on the sample), has an (unidentifiable for me) instrument overlay that's not on the 96 and 02 CD. Dunno if it's on the LD iso score.

See @filmmusic!  I told you!

I'm currently listening to an Expanded playlist I made with the two previous releases of the score, is it okay?

I mean, is it like before an important sport match where we don't have the right to have sex? Can we listen to a score few days before receiving an expanded version?

Do we have to restrain ourselves?

I don't care about any of these overlays. None of them are significant enough to really matter and we all know I was the biggest E.T. fan on these forums. I just want the music when Botanicus emerges from the ground like Poison Ivy and asks us to return E.T. to his planet on bicycles.

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

I don't care about harp, triangle or whatever overlays. None of these things are significant enough, anyway and we all know I was the biggest E.T. fan on these forums.

Than ET& Elliot is truly dead!