E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

The thing is, it sounds like Williams. It has that synthy Williams sound of the era. It's like E.T. interpreted by Ewoks in the style of Always. There's a photo of him inspecting the model of that scene in the ride. What, did they show him the model and then ask him not to score it?

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Now, given that we were challenged to find flaws in this release, I'll raise the first: why did the concept art list 20 tracks on Disc 2 and yet the official tracklist only has 19? There's a missing track after Searching For E.T. (Alternate) that was previously included, based on the publicity material...

oh no, it was the song from the E.T. Adventure

There are 20 tracks:

THE 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

1          Three Million Light Years From Home 3:01

2          Abandoned and Pursued 3:02

3          E.T. and Me 4:54

4          E.T.’s Halloween 4:11

5          Flying 3:25

6          E.T. Phone Home 4:21

7          Over the Moon 2:12

8          Adventure on Earth 15:10

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

9          The E.T. Adventure * 4:12

10        Far From Home / E.T. Alone (alternate) ** 7:00

11         The Encounter * 1:49

12        Meeting E.T. (alternate) * 2:20

13        E.T.’s New Home (alternate) 1:27

14        The Kiss * :49

15        Levitation * :41

16        Searching for E.T. (alternate) 4:19

17        Invading Elliott’s House (alternate) ** 2:24

18        E.T. Is Dying 2:24

19        The Departure (alternate) 7:06

20       End Credits (alternate) 3:55

maxresdefault.jpg

"This is where you're not going to compose any music, John."

"This looks like something George Lucas will have in a Star Wars movie in 15 years."

This video is incredible. Skip to around 7:10 after the unnecessary air blasts signaling your arrival on the planet. It's the part with the aliens that sounds the most like Williams, although the Ewokiness of the little E.T. music is undeniable. Now, refer the Universal promotional video for the ride here that features alternate music for the planet scenes around 2:54 that sounds like Williams.

it sounds like parts of Botanicus Theme with some other music playing on top of it (the 7.06-7.35 part) , then the celebration music

the alternate music in the link doesn;t sound like Williams

Slightly OT but I Just watched this wonderful making-of on John's 2002 live performance of E.T. Turns out it was Kathy Kennedy who had the idea (or at least presented the idea to JW):

According to JW, a live-to-projection performance had never been done for a film before E.T.

Nowadays they're common and continue to grow in popularity the world over! It's wonderful to think that one of John's masterpieces continues to promote the proliferation and popularity of film music to this day.

This release already belongs to the history of the greatest soundtrack releases.

I don't think it will sell out fast though: the average film-score fan has almost everything already available from the previous releases and the sound quality is not an issue for many.

For some reasons I would have preferred the track "kiss" on disk 1 (it would have fitted).

Does anyone else think the Amblin logo music merging with the e.t. theme should have been in this set as well? I love having botanicus but I think that intro deserved to be there even more.

Don't get me wrong, it's a first day buy for me :wub:

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

According to JW, a live-to-projection performance had never been done for a film before E.T.

And AOTC had the first love theme ever written. ;)

10 hours ago, Jay said:

The complete score was too long to fit on one disc. 

Scroll back just one page and read my chronological track list. The complete score is 81:16 long. 

Yeah, but they could place all the cues in chronological order, and continue in disc 2.

Not complaining, just saying.

Maybe in the end it's artistic reasons, and not the cd space.

23 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yeah, but they could place all the cues in chronological order, and continue in disc 2.

If they placed the cues chronological only the end credits would fit on disc 2. That would be weird.

I'm listening to the 1996 CD right now. Track 1 AKA Far From Home/E.T. Alone is one of all-time top tracks, but I always get slightly annoyed somehow towards the end when it deviates from the OST version. Musically, that version is better. Performance-wise, the later CDs are superior.

He comes and goes. From what I hear, he'll be back. Without him, though, the music doesn't play. In recent videos of the waiting line, it's just the sound of the forest with all Williams music removed. It's kinda creepy.

14 hours ago, phbart said:

The funny thing about JP is that, while some people here claims it's compressed compared to previous releases, Adobe Audition readings of the dynamic range shows that the 2016 has higher dynamic range than the previous releases. I compared tracks that were common to all three releases, and in all cases, the 2016 won. I don't know how accurate those readings are, but they show what they show.

I use my ears to listen to music. ;)

But I understand where you are coming from but 2016 JP is compressed... or at least SEEMS compressed to my ears.

-Erik-

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

When it comes to details like these, decisions have to be made in one way or another. Matessino has a huge track record of right decisions in this sense (in cooperation with JW himself), so we're in very good hands. I think "Levitation" is right to be placed in the extras (it's music for a deleted scene) and I agree also with having "The Encounter" as a bonus since is virtually the same piece as the Main Title and it would have feel repetitive as the third track on the main program (also, it's more a musical effect than a proper piece of composition). I would have loved to have "The Kiss" in the main program however, but since it contains music not written by JW himself and since it's also a very short cue, I guess Matessino and JW felt it stays nicely in the bonus area. Also, there's the pure technical problem of filling the disc to its maximum capacity--it's not that uncommon that an 8o-minute CD could have some issues during the mastering/printing phase. So, in the end, I think all the right decisions were made.

But all these are really minutiae, and basically non-issues. Most people listen to music on portable devices and everyone can create his or her own favorite playlists.

This is the perfect, most comprehensive and definitive release of John Williams' magnum opus. And I already thank Mike and the gang at LaLaLand for giving us this wonderful early Christmas present. This is one for the ages!

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I'm listening to the 1996 CD right now. Track 1 AKA Far From Home/E.T. Alone is one of all-time top tracks, but I always get slightly annoyed somehow towards the end when it deviates from the OST version. Musically, that version is better. Performance-wise, the later CDs are superior.

This track in the OST is a concert version, not a film recording.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

The complete score was too long to fit on one disc. 

Scroll back just one page and read my chronological track list. The complete score is 81:16 long. 

Nobody burns CDs anymore, but to those who still keep this habit, you can burn around 82 mins on CD that's perfectly playable on any player right to the last second. Nero burning software has some twicks that allow this to be made, and it's quite simple.

I never had a doubt that Mike M would know about it and try to include it. I didn't know if JW would nix it, or if the master recordings wouldn't be located. 

33 minutes ago, phbart said:

Nobody burns CDs anymore, but to those who still keep this habit, you can burn around 82 mins on CD that's perfectly playable on any player right to the last second. Nero burning software has some twicks that allow this to be made, and it's quite simple.

Another option is to put The Kiss and The Levitation in, and leave out the synth cues (Main Title and The Encounter) that to me feel incongruous  to the rest of the score.  Like Spielberg decided last minute to move the main titles out from the forest footage into its own black screen section and asked JW to do what they were doing in Poltergeist, and also whip something up for the cornfield scene that probably originally just went unscored.  Then you'd have this

1-02 Far From Home / E.T. Alone 6:57
1-03 Bait for E.T. 1:45
1-04 Meeting E.T. 2:08
1-05 E.T.’s New Home 1:28
1-06 The Beginning of a Friendship 2:53
1-07 Toys 3:13
1-08 I’m Keeping Him 2:20
1-09 E.T.’s Powers 2:44
1-10 The Closet 0:53
1-11 E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk 2:57
1-12 Frogs 2:12
2-14 The Kiss 0:49
2-15 Levitation 0:41
1-13 At Home 5:38
1-14 The Magic of Halloween 2:55
1-15 Sending the Signal 3:58
1-16 Searching for E.T. 4:18
1-17 Invading Elliott’s House 2:24
1-18 Stay With Me 2:24
1-19 Losing E.T. 2:04
1-20 E.T. Is Alive 4:22
1-21 The Rescue and Bike Chase 8:07
1-22 The Departure 7:07
1-23 End Credits 3:55

TOTAL TIME - 78:13

Unless you have some sort attachment to the film and want to hear the isolated score, you don't need the main titles, cornfield, closet, kiss, levitation etc. The score starts best as it is on the OST and 1996 remastered expanded CD rather than with horror movie music. The rest of those tracks are short cues that make for an awkward listening experience.

What is the source of the "not shipping until the 22nd" info?  I just scanned through the FSM thread for ET and LLL's Facebook page and see no mention of it.

People really need to link to the source when they provide this "info"!

I don't even know what the levitation music sounds like. I'm curious to hear it, but I can see it being like the Typewriter Chord and Shark Tows Orca from Jaws where I only listen to it a couple of times before it becomes an "archival" track in a collection and not something I actually listen to on a regular basis. By the way, that cut scene with Harrison Ford is terrible. It seems like a mistake that it ended up on the LaserDisc because scenes cut from Spielberg films are rarely ever seen and it's because they're usually quite bad.

Here's the Harrison Ford / Levitation scene on youtube for anyone that hasn't seen it

Oddly, they tracked in music from another cue for the laserdisc deleted scene instead of using the actual Levitation cue.

That's why we never knew it was recorded until the tracklist was announced!

16 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

Looks like the new E.T. release will ship around the 22nd.

What is the source of this information?