E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

57 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The 2002 and 1996 slightly less, but there's still a silence. 

On the 2002 CD, there's no silence on "E.T. is Alive" in that part I mentioned and no silence between "Chase" and "Saying Goodbye". Like filmusic said, the silence is about 4 seconds in the OST. In the 96 CD is slightly shorter.

The Bike Chase cue features a triangle overlay towards the end, from just before the bikes take off into the sky, in both the film and on the OST CD, that isn't on the 1996 or 2002 CD versions (it's an overlay that Bouzereau neglected to mix in, not a different take).

That's the only major difference between released versions in the first half of the finale.

The second half (The Departure) has two major difference. The first is the "ouch" scene: the 1996 and 2002 CDs feature the original cue as Williams initially recorded it, while the film and the original OST feature the "Steven's Fix" insert that amps up the emotion considerably.

The second is the "I'll be right here" scene. The OST version includes a horn overlay that was dropped from the final film, and of course Bouzereau didn't mix it into the 1996 or 2002 track either.

As for the spacing between The Bike Chase and The Departure, the OST version features the exact same spacing as the film itself. For the 1996 CD, Bouzereau pushed the cues together a bit, and on the 2002 CD, he actually overlapped them.

Thanks, Jay.

I just want to add that the there's still a spacing between the "Bike Chase" and "The Departure" on the 96 CD. It's little over one second long, much shorter than the OST, but it's there and I'm perfectly okay with it. Unlike the sacrilege they made in 2002. Since the tracks are separated on this new release, I assume they'll follow what's on the OST.

By the way, I would be really pissed by this separation if they haven't included the OST on CD2. This track is meant to be experienced as a whole, just like in all previous releases.

But you can't listen to the Departure cue without listening first to "The Rescue and Bike Chase". You simply can't! That's, like, rule n°1 of being a JW fan and you'll be damned to hell if you do it.

6 hours ago, phbart said:

"The Chase", around 5:17 to 5:22 on the OST is noticeably different.

Dunno, just listened to it. Nothing important registers at this time stamp. But given pointers like 'triangle overlay' i guess it's one of those differences i never would notice or care about.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't have in mind any MM Williams cd that has overlaping/continuing material in 2 consecutive tracks.

I hate those 2 tracks overlaping material. You cannot make your own compilation or order of the tracks. They just flow on the CDs. On the Media Player there's often a tiny moment of interruption between them. Hopefully, if a new Hook will be released, The Ultimate War is one track!

5 hours ago, phbart said:

Can you imagine the cues of "The Battle of Yavin" from Star Wars separated?

The Battle of Yavin is okay like it is on the SE, but the Battle of Hoth and especially the Battles of Endor are awful overlengthy cue combos. Hopefully, we will get a better solution to this as well in the near future.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Dunno, just listened to it. Nothing important registers at this time stamp. But given pointers like 'triangle overlay' i guess it's one of those differences i never would notice or care about.

It might not be important, but it's there.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Battle of Yavin is okay like it is on the SE, but the Battle of Hoth and especially the Battles of Endor are awful overlengthy cue combos. Hopefully, we will get a better solution to this as well in the near future.

Sure. But the Yavin major cues have been together since the 77 OST, so it's kind of etched this way. I completly agree with you about Hoth and Endor. Unnecessary long.

5 hours ago, phbart said:

It might not be important, but it's there.

Sure. But the Yavin major cues have been together since the 77 OST, so it's kind of etched this way. I completly agree with you about Hoth and Endor. Unnecessary long.

The ANH SE is fine in general, the TESB SE has a few tracks that I would like to have split up, but the ROTJ SE has numberous awful und unnecessary medleys!

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I love the Battle of Hoth Medley, it's full of energy that it feels like a whirlwind of a ride. Broken down into separate cues seems to diminish that sense of unity.

I don't think the three action cues play well, one after another. Each cue has a calm playoff and the overlap does not ring intended. In the film there is a hard cut between the cues. It's not intended to be one track on album.

The "Battle in the Snow" section of the Hoth medley is so deeply ingrained for me that I could sing it like Peter Griffin did the Last Crusade opening for that Family Guy gag.  It's all because I played the opening of the Shadows of the Empire N64 game approximately 4,563 times.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ha!  They're not supposed to do that.  Convenient for Europeans who were going to buy it from them, though.

Availability date: 10/5/2017

I don't think it's convenient that it will be available  2 weeks after USA.

I meant its convenient that you can pre-order right now, instead of remembering to do so later when its supposed to go on sale.

Anybody wanna take a guess how long it'll take for this to sell out?

I have an idea this'll go faster than any of the other recent LLL JW releases (JP collection, A.I., Hook, etc.).

Maybe 3-4 weeks.

One thing that primarily bothered me on the 2002 release was that the brightness was considerably reduced; making some of the brass in the 'Far from Home/E.T. Alone' cue sound less pronounced.  I'll also admit the 1996 edition was a bit too shrill sounding but at least it retained the same sound I remember from the film.  Although Matessino has indicated that the 2002 was a better sounding of the lot. I am hoping that the new release at least fixes this and finds middle ground between the two.

21 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Does anyone know what time in The Netherlands (CET) this can be ordered? I usually order through SAE: good idea?

You can order the CD at nine o'clock tonight. And I don't think ordering through SAE is a good idea. If the package is lost they won't sent you a replacement disc unless you'll pay an additional $ 45,-!!!

1 minute ago, FrankV said:

You can order the CD at nine o'clock tonight. And I don't think ordering through SAE is a good idea. If the package is lost they won't sent you a replacement disc unless you'll pay an additional $ 45,-!!!

When you order through La La Land directly, do you have to create an account? I opened the website, but I don't see any login section or something like that...

19 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I think they removed the Registered Mail option primarily because USPS was not offering International Tracking anymore. And Express Mail is the only option where they can provide tracking information. $45 is way too steep. Its better to order other titles in bulk to justify such a high shipping cost.

16 minutes ago, Sandor said:

When you order through La La Land directly, do you have to create an account? I opened the website, but I don't see any login section or something like that...

Use the Guest Option!