E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial La-La Land ANNOUNCEMENT Thread

Jay

3 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I don't care about any of these overlays. None of them are significant enough to really matter and we all know I was the biggest E.T. fan on these forums. I just want the music when Botanicus emerges from the ground like Poison Ivy and asks us to return E.T. to his planet on bicycles.

I don't think so!

10 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I don't care about any of these overlays. None of them are significant enough to really matter and we all know I was the biggest E.T. fan on these forums. I just want the music when Botanicus emerges from the ground like Poison Ivy and asks us to return E.T. to his planet on bicycles.

That's just not true, though.  The film version of ET Is Dying (Stay With Me) is SIGNIFICANTLY different from the 96/2002 CD version.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about missing triangles and harps for 2 seconds. Who cares? It doesn't make or break the music and people have to be told there's something different about it before they even notice it.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Whereabouts in California are you. You might get this first!

San Francisco Bay Area (peripherally). It'd be cool to be among the first to get it in the mail, no doubt. Fast delivery times are not typically a thing for me, though (I prefer to minimize my shipping costs whenever I can.)

3 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

Listening to the OST that comes with the 4K. The remaster is perfection 😭😭😭😭😭

Good!

I'm fine with the OST. I remember people saying that sort of thing about the Intrada remasters of the Jaws scores, but it wasn't true. They just don't leave old album mixes well enough alone.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

See @filmmusic!  I told you!

yeah, maybe you're right after all.

It must be a sweetner or something because it is not written on the score.

Something else I noticed.

The insert with the alternate beginning placed in front of Meeting E.T. Alternate must have been the original version, and the version we know with the flute was a podium change.

The full score has that call motif for clarinet (like in the beginning of CD2T12), it's erased, and writes the words "Piccolo solo".

I guess they realised it sounded a bit too heavy or shrilling in the clarinet.

43 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

You said it, man! Even the samples from LLL shows clear superiority over the original CD release.

You know what? I think I'll order the 4K Blu-ray right now too. Amazon deliverys usually arrives at my door in less than 7 working days.

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Strange that some people here hadn't got the E.T. bluray from its previous release and are ordering now.

Or you all have 4K TVs and 4K bluray players?

I got it for the 4K. After Bladerunner, I'm a true believer. So long as it's done right. 

1 hour ago, Demondm810 said:

Forgot to ask, Demon. Does the regular 1080p blu-ray that comes in the 4K release is different from the 2012 blu-ray in terms of picture quality?

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Strange that some people here hadn't got the E.T. bluray from its previous release and are ordering now.

Or you all have 4K TVs and 4K bluray players?

No reason to get this. 4K is pointless. The first Blu-ray release looks great. It also comes in an adorable book if you got that version. I would only have been interested in a reissue if it had the 20th Anniversary version AKA the reissue.

31 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

No reason to get this. 4K is pointless. The first Blu-ray release looks great. It also comes in an adorable book if you got that version. I would only have been interested in a reissue if it had the 20th Anniversary version AKA the reissue.

Says the person who says a few inserts and overlays aren't important.  Clearly they are to a contingent of fans.  They certainly matter to me.

And no, the 4K UHD is not "pointless" if you own the blu-ray.  Sorry, but while many, many members here outclass me with their intricate knowledge of these scores, the movies themselves are my area of expertise.  Unless you're watching a 4K master from the OCN with full 4K workflow (as E.T. is) on display technology that can truly reveal the benefits of it, you really don't have room to say that these new discs aren't an improvement.  I will tell you that, at least on my LG OLED65E6P, the new 4K disc is phenomenal, and is not a pointless release in any way.

The two seconds of missing harp that went unnoticed until it was brought to my attention made all the difference. This has really improved the listening experience for me.

I care more about the content of a film, not the video transfer. The original E.T. Blu-ray looks great on my 19" Sony Trinitron and the 60" OLED. 4K is a gimmick used in dick-measuring contests by tech-savvy people. So yes, it's a pointless release.

38 minutes ago, phbart said:

E-mail received confirming my credit card was accepted!:D

Anxious to decide which one will go to the trash bin.

rsz_20170912_202439.jpg

Why get rid of any? They take up barely any room.

4 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The two seconds of missing harp that went unnoticed until it was brought to my attention made all the difference. This has really improved the listening experience for me.

I care more about the content of a film, not the video transfer. The original E.T. Blu-ray looks great on my 19" Sony Trinitron and the 60" OLED. 4K is a gimmick used in dick-measuring contests by tech-savvy people. So yes, it's a pointless release.

lol

Thanks.  For a minute there, I took this debate seriously.

PS: There's not a 60" OLED TV on the market.

PPS: Guys, what's that saying about it being better to be silent and be thought a fool...?

That international shipping is brutal! $14.00 for the first CD then $2.50 for every CD thereafter. :(

Think I might just wait until Close Encounters is released and get them together, unless someone can recommend me another JW expansion I haven't gotten. Already have Hook, AI and JP.

Well, I must say I had a really great time today. The expectation of the sale, buying it on day one, listening to the samples. I'm a really happy JW fan now.

It all made me think how fans felt back in 1996 when the first expanded release was announced, together with the LD iso score. If this forum existed back then (did it?), I can imagine this going to, like, 50 pages in one day.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That international shipping is brutal! $14.00 for the first CD then $2.50 for every CD thereafter. :(

Think I might just wait until Close Encounters is released and get them together, unless someone can recommend me another JW expansion I haven't gotten. Already have Hook, AI and JP.

Empire of the Sun?  Rosewood as well, but that seems to be an acquired taste even among JWFaners

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

yeah, maybe you're right after all.

It must be a sweetner or something because it is not written on the score.

I never claimed it was written in the score, and an overlay is the same thing as a sweetener!

Something else I noticed.

The insert with the alternate beginning placed in front of Meeting E.T. Alternate must have been the original version, and the version we know with the flute was a podium change.

The full score has that call motif for clarinet (like in the beginning of CD2T12), it's erased, and writes the words "Piccolo solo".

I guess they realised it sounded a bit too heavy or shrilling in the clarinet.

I'm confused.  Are you saying the sample from 0:17 onward matches the sheets for 2M3 First Meeting, the sample from 0:00-0:16 matches the sheets for 2M3 Alternate Beginning, and the version on the 2002 CD and in the film is a podium change of the original 2M3?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Jaws, Jaws 2, Empire of the Sun, Home Alone, Home Alone 2, and Stanley and Iris are all very nice.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

Well, I must say I had a really great time today. The expectation of the sale, buying it on day one, listening to the samples. I'm a really happy JW fan now.

Thank you for this! Your optimism is welcome!

It all made me think how fans felt back in 1996 when the first expanded release was announced, together with the LD iso score. If this forum existed back then (did it?), I can imagine this going to, like, 50 pages in one day.

This board didn't exist until 1999. And there weren't really web form in 1996, discussion would have all still been on Usenet then.

Maybe on mIRC too. But the internet was a dark place in the mid 1990's. I don't think people discussed soundtrack expansions a lot back then. At least, not the way we do now.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Isn't there an australian website, that is specialized to sell limited score releases for a reasonable price? Like musicbox for France and soundtrackcorner for Germany?

You could also wait for Amazon to sell E.T.. Once, they offered JP for 45 bucks!

50 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Isn't there an australian website, that is specialized to sell limited score releases for a reasonable price? Like musicbox for France and soundtrackcorner for Germany?

You could also wait for Amazon to sell E.T.. Once, they offered JP for 45 bucks!

Not to my knowledge. If there was I doubt the price would be different for product and shipping because Australia is feeling the hard effects of capitalism gone amok.

Yeah I'm not aware of any Australian speciality websites who stock LLL.

Would just be better value to get two releases at the one time, given the initial shipping charge. If only we knew when Close Encounters was coming!