Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

8 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

How wrong am I to be massively more excited for Harry Potter/Indiana Jones/Star Wars than about ET and especially CE3K?

Extremely wrong.

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Coke Zero still exists in Ireland.

Same here.

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Just give me something that isn't Diet Coke.

Except Pepsi, which tastes like bad Diet Coke.

4 hours ago, Smeltington said:

I'm not very familiar with the Close Encounters score... I've been waiting for a release like this one to get into it  :)  So, what's the story with Inside the Mothership?

To try to answer your question...when Spielberg recut CE3K, in 1980, for the Special Edition, he cut-out some existing scenes, reinstated some already-shot but unused scenes, and shot at least two new major scenes (Gobi Desert, and Inside The Mothership).

The former new scene had existing music for its underscore, but Inside The Mothership, had brand new music, composed and recorded in 1980.

This new music appeared on an LP (and a subsequent CD) by the Boston Pops Orchestra (their first with JW) called POPS IN SPACE.

In 1998, when Spielberg recut the film for the second time for his Director's Cut, he cut-out the Inside The Mothership scene (which he wasn't fond of, anyway).

This Director's Cut is the film that's getting the 40th anniversary 4K rerelease.

Given that, it's highly unlikely that Inside The Mothership will be included on the upcoming complete score.

I could, of course, be totally wrong, though, especially as I like Inside The Mothership.

I hope that this helps?

Thanks for catching me up! That sounds like a mess, for people like us, haha. I guess my preference would be to include Inside the Mothership in the bonus tracks, and not with the main score.

It's too bad the new 4K rerelease is the director's cut... I would have liked to see the original theatrical cut. Oh well, what can you do.

Williams has been an awfully good sport to accommodate directors' whims on films like this, or the Star Wars special editions! Especially in this case, where his new music was cut back out again...

7 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Williams has been an awfully good sport to accommodate directors' whims on films like this

I mean, it's not like it's just any director.  It's the defining collaboration of his life.

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Given that, it's highly unlikely that Inside The Mothership will be included on the upcoming complete score.

Well then what's the whole point of this release then? ;)

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

I could, of course, be totally wrong, though, especially as I like Inside The Mothership.

Inside the Mothership will be on the new LLL release. It's the major "flaw", or let's say gap, of the Collector's Edition. The question is: Will it be included in the main program or will it be in the bonus section?

23 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It's too bad the new 4K rerelease is the director's cut... I would have liked to see the original theatrical cut. Oh well, what can you do.

The Director's Cut is basically the Theatrical Cut. It just adds a few character drawing scenes from the flawed Special Edition, minus a few short unimportant moments. It's a great compromise between the two former versions.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

That's redundant. Diet Coke is garbage. 

With Pepsi being on the lower end of the garbage spectrum, yes.

40 minutes ago, Richard said:

I think it's highly unlikely that Matessino is going to leave it out.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Unless Williams vetoed it or the tape is gone I can't imagine why he wouldn't.

Hope its a bonus track though.

Williams has no reason to vetoe it.

Spielberg has reason to vetoe the according scene.

I've watched all three versions of the movie multiple times (the "normal" BluRay CE).

The differences between them are both brazen and subtle at the same time. It's hard to say which one I like the best. I like them all.

I'm so looking forward to this release. Bravo LLL. One of JW's best scores and what a fabulous way to celebrate both CE3K's 40th anniversary but also JW's 85th birthday. I hope it'll say "Music composed & conducted by John Williams" on the front cover 😉

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

I watched Close Encounters last week actually, I never noticed any music which I wanted and didn't have. This is the best music in the film anyway:

I've been looking for that for decades.

I hope that my fellow Finn @hornist is keeping himself up to speed with JW developments. He'll be over the moon when he sees this particular piece of news. :)

13 hours ago, Richard said:

it fucking better be.

and it better have all the "special edition" music that's in the end Credits of the collector's edition. And the elongated note fade out before the credits

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I hope that my fellow Finn @hornist is keeping himself up to speed with JW developments. He'll be over the moon when he sees this particular piece of news. :)

This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them!

Just a few posts ago, I gave the "Inside the mothership debacle" this humble definition:

"Since there are different cuts of the movie, with and without scenes inside the mothership, there also exists alternate musical versions."

A much more detailed explanation was given by @Richard even sooner:

"To try to answer your question...when Spielberg recut CE3K, in 1980, for the Special Edition, he cut-out some existing scenes, reinstated some already-shot but unused scenes, and shot at least two new major scenes (Gobi Desert, and Inside The Mothership).

The former new scene had existing music for its underscore, but Inside The Mothership, had brand new music, composed and recorded in 1980.

This new music appeared on an LP (and a subsequent CD) by the Boston Pops Orchestra (their first with JW) called POPS IN SPACE.

In 1998, when Spielberg recut the film for the second time for his Director's Cut, he cut-out the Inside The Mothership scene (which he wasn't fond of, anyway).

This Director's Cut is the film that's getting the 40th anniversary 4K rerelease.

I hope that this helps?"

There's no reason whatsoever to think Matessino would omit something this noteworthy. Regardless of what version of the film it was for, it's music Williams wrote for Close Encounters.

Just as Victory Celebration was included on the Return of the Jedi Special Edition soundtrack, regardless of what version of the film Williams wrote that for.

In all likelihood it'll be included on Disc 2 rather than the chronological program on Disc 1. After all, that's the whole reason LLL have 2CD expansions (so they can include everything!)

Inside the Mothership is a nice suite in of itself, but it's also romanticised JW in full unbridled music hall mode (also applies to the awards ceremony-esque end credits fly by), and therefore a bit OTT - when heard with the rest of the work. As fine a score as it is, Williams' prose does sound quite dated at times in CE3K. Toward the end, the music treads the fine line between unabashed and overbearing, not always staying impeccably on the right side of it. It's something he's wrestled with all his career, depending on the subject material.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I wouldn't say it's given that it'll be included. I mean, it's even a different orchestra. I have no idea about rights issues, but maybe that isn't a problem, or maybe it is?

Agreed. Its a question of who owns the rights to INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP.

As it was recorded on the Phillips label (and not with the same orchestra) have the rights revert back to Sony, or did Columbia/Sony own the rights, all along?

Given that the two-disc 35th anniversary remastered edition of Maestro John Williams's score to E.T. is coming out on September 12, and that the 40th anniversary remastered edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind was announced to follow soon after, I can safely say that Close Encounters of the Third Kind will be released sometime in October or November. I would even accept early December, but that is a long wait. I am looking forward to both releases. Thank you, Maestro.

I certainly would be happy if that prediction is true, and something tells me it is.

I'm very happy to see these two scores given the MM treatment.

Do we know who designed the E.T. Artwork? It looks like the kind of thing I'd expect from Jim Titus, who did the JP / TLW set.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Given that the two-disc 35th anniversary remastered edition of Maestro John Williams's score to E.T. is coming out on September 12, and that the 45th anniversary remastered edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind was announced to follow soon after, I can safely say that Close Encounters of the Third Kind will be released sometime in October or November. I would even accept early December, but that is a long wait. I am looking forward to both releases. Thank you, Maestro.

40th, not 45th.

I think if the album program was only just approved by Williams this week, there's still a lot of work to be done - liner notes have to be written, or at least finalized if they were started prior to composer approval, artwork has to be created for every page that integrates the notes in, any stills or other images used in the booklet have to be licensed, the whole booklet has to be approved by JW & SS's camp, then the entire thing has to be approved by the film cue and album cue rights holders (2 different Sonys in this case), and then it has to be sent to the pressing plant, has to be pressed without any errors that need to get fixed, then shipped off to LLL before they can ship it out to us.

With all that in mind, its entirely plausible we won't have it until December!  This could be the rare year that LLL has a title after Black Friday instead of BF ending their year.

E.T. is 5000 pieces.

Close Encounters will probably be 5000 pieces, wouldn't it? Why should it be more or less than E.T.?

I think you don't have to hurry. We thought JP would sell out fast, but it's still available.