Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

And yes of course I snatched a copy of this. Hopefully it'll ship soon! :)

Mine shipped but I never got a notification e-mail. I would check the status on your order confirmation as well.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Mine shipped but I never got a notification e-mail. I would check the status on your order confirmation as well.

Karol

I ordered it a bit later so expect I'll be getting my shipping confirmation somewhat later than those who ordered from the minute it came available.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

PSA: It is Devils Tower, not Devil's Tower.  To quote MM, "its a tower for ALL devils"

My wife took a road trip there when business took her to South Dakota, I wish I had gone!

Before we got married my wife and I made a stop there on a road trip. We didn’t go all the way up to it but we got close enough to take some pictures.

The samples sound superb. I can’t wait for this to arrive. And unlike previous LLL Black Friday releases  I won’t have to wait until Christmas 

to open it.

Apples and oranges.  That was just taking the final LP album master from 1977, full of its 1977-era analog edits, and tweaking the sound of that finished product.

Everything on this set is completely rebuilt with modern digital editing from a fresh modern digital transfer of the original 1st generation 1977 raw elements.

And uh.... there are samples on LLL's website you can listen to to find out...

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Few suggestions of interest for 2018. :sarcasm:

Valley of the Dolls  50th anniversary Collection

The Accidental Tourist 30th anniversary collection

ok, ok, maybe more this:

Schindler's list 25th Anniversary Collection

13 hours ago, Jay said:

PSA: It is Devils Tower, not Devil's Tower.  To quote MM, "its a tower for ALL devils"

My wife took a road trip there when business took her to South Dakota, I wish I had gone!

Quite right, my brain just decided an apostrophe needed to be there.

Our trip was amazing. We stayed two nights in a small cabin in the Koa campsite about a mile from the base of the mountain. Walking from the cabin to the toilets during the night with nothing but stars (the Milky Way was particularly visible there), and Devils Tower silhouetted against the night sky took my breath away every time. It was every bit as impressive in real life as I had always hoped it would be.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike M on the new cover art:

"This time, Jim Titus, wasn't able to took a photo of a young stranger boy found in the street, because of a new court order preventing him to be at less than 500 meters of a child or a school. He simply said, we'll go with the road design."

Sad story.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Look closely -- it's actually not the original poster art. I found the actual original road photograph in the Sony archives, the one used at the basis for the poster, and had it scanned. Jim Titus used it to make a brand new clean update of the key art with his own light and night sky.

What's the reason for not using the original cover art? Is it too expensive to license the rights?

25 minutes ago, pixie_twinkle said:

Quite right, my brain just decided an apostrophe needed to be there.

Our trip was amazing. We stayed two nights in a small cabin in the Koa campsite about a mile from the base of the mountain. Walking from the cabin to the toilets during the night with nothing but stars (the Milky Way was particularly visible there), and Devils Tower silhouetted against the night sky took my breath away every time. It was every bit as impressive in real life as I had always hoped it would be.

It must have been a great toilet. :D

The reason is because the new one looks better!

Jim Titus using 2017 digital technology is just better than whoever made the poster in 1977 using 1977 analog technology

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The reason is because the new one looks better!

Jim Titus using 2017 digital technology is just better than whoever made the poster in 1977 using 1977 analog technology

I suppose it also has something to do with rights, at least on some of the expanded JW soundtracks.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Few suggestions of interest for 2018. :sarcasm:

Valley of the Dolls  50th anniversary Collection

The Accidental Tourist 30th anniversary collection

ok, ok, maybe more this:

Schindler's list 25th Anniversary Collection

Why do so many people want Schundler's List complete? As much as I love that score, but is there really much missing music, that isn't just a repetition of this or that theme?

Amistad has at least 40 unreleased minutes, thus I consider it a 2018 expansion.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Why do so many people want Schundler's List complete? As much as I love that score, but is there really much missing music, that isn't just a repetition of this or that theme?

I don't know. The movie's so depressing I seldom watch it. But still great.

I was never worried about how MM would put CE3K together because I knew he would do his best. What I was concerned about was the sound quality. The 1998 CD sounds terrific and I couldn't imagine it sounding any better, and sometimes the more you mess with something good the worst it gets. But MM did it again! Those samples sounds soooooo good! Hard to convince anyone it's a 40 years old analog recording. Ordered! Now the usual 45 to 50 days of wait... once it's shipped, that is. 😕

1 hour ago, phbart said:

I was never worried about how MM would put CE3K together because I knew he would do his best. What I was concerned about was the sound quality. The 1998 CD sounds terrific and I couldn't imagine it sounding any better, and sometimes the more you mess with something good the worst it gets. But MM did it again! Those samples sounds soooooo good! Hard to convince anyone it's a 40 years old analog recording. Ordered! Now the usual 45 to 50 days of wait... once it's shipped, that is. 😕

Those who are into classical music know that some recordings as old as late 50s / early 60s can be made sound almost as fresh as new recordings. Quite mind-blowing, if you ask me. If you're in doubt, check out the most recent re-releases of Heifetz on Sony.

Yes, but classical music tend to have a, let's say, a special care regarding recording, preservarion and all. That's not so common with film soundtracks. The multi track tapes of JP are already shredding. E.T. OST masters are only survived by a copy of a tape found in London, and that is tape used for cutting the lacquer for the LP. And so on...

4 minutes ago, phbart said:

Yes, but classical music tend to have a, let's say, a special care regarding recording, preservarion and all. That's not so common with film soundtracks. The multi track tapes of JP are already shredding. E.T. OST masters are only survived by a copy of a tape found in London, and that is tape used for cutting the lacquer for the LP. And so on...

Yes, the big studios have no respect for the cultural heritage they produce.

9 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Film music is ephemeral.

So what happens to all those master tapes once Mike is done with them? Are they returned to the studio to be locked away to rot again?

They're just scanned and returned to the studio for whatever archive they hold. I think one of his conditions is that everything travels together to avoid any tapes being separated.

18 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Film music is ephemeral.

So what happens to all those master tapes once Mike is done with them? Are they returned to the studio to be locked away to rot again?

Yes.

When tapes are now transfered in HD (well, our actual meaning of "HD") they are SAVED... for eternity.

Let's just hope labels secure their backups!

Is anyone else's order status saying, "this order is pending review"? This exact same thing happened with Jurassic Park and it took weeks to ship. But I don't really want to bug them for an explanation after only one day. :/

Status and tracking are both blank.

I'm getting an error on check out signing into my account - "An error was encountered while processing your request".  Well, that's annoying.  Got Close Encounters through the guest option.  Whatever, it's mine!

27 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I'm getting an error on check out signing into my account - "An error was encountered while processing your request".  Well, that's annoying.  Got Close Encounters through the guest option.  Whatever, it's mine!

Account?

For those who can't wait to listen to the reconstructed 2LP program:

Based on track titles and timings I've re-created the 2LP program (disc 1 of the 2017 release) from the 1998 release, with the tracks in the right order. My result seems to be quite close. Of course, there's certainly some minor differences in edits, and it's possible that the 1998 release contains alternate versions of cues instead of the correct film version. Note that some of the tracks on disc 1, 2017 are up to 15 secs. longer than their 1998 counterpart.

Only two cues from the 2LP program seem to be missing from my playlist:

The Vision (2nd part of track 1 on disc 1, 2017)
The Helicopter (2nd part of track 7 on disc 1, 2017)

Tracks on the 1998 release not on disc 1 of the 2017 release:

10. Star and Trucks 0:44 (track 15 on disc 2, 2017)
17. The Escape (alternate) 2:40 (track 17 on disc 2, 2017)

Tracks arranged in order of 2LP program, with 1998 release left and corresponding tracks on disc 1, 2017 release right:

1. Opening: Let There Be Light 0:47 =  1 Main Title and The Vision  •• 1:29, but without The Vision

2. Navy Planes 2:07 = 2 Navy Planes 2:15

3. Lost Squadron 2:24 = 3 Lost Squadron 2:34

18. Trucking 2:01 = 4 Trucking 2:09

4. Roy's First Encounter 2:41 and 6. Chasing UFOs 1:19 = 5 Into the Tunnel and Chasing UFOs 3:56

5. Encounter at Crescendo Summit 1:21 = Crescendo Summit 1:25 

7. False Alarm 1:42 = 7 False Alarm and The Helicopter 4:20, but without The Helicopter

8. Barry's Kidnapping 6:19 = 8 Barry’s Kidnapping 6:22

11. Forming the Mountain 1:50 = 9 Forming the Mountain 1:58

12. TV Reveals 1:50 and 13. Roy and Gillian On the Road 1:10 = 10 TV Reveals / Across Country 2:53

14. The Mountain 3:32 = 11 The Mountain 3:36

9. The Cover-Up 2:26 and 15. Who Are You People? 1:35 = 12 The Cover-up and Base Camp 3:56

16. The Escape 2:18 = 13 The Escape 2:20

19. Climbing the Mountain 2:32 = 14 Climbing the Mountain 2:36

20. Outstretched Hands 2:48 = 15 Outstretched Hands 2:50

21. Lightshow 3:43 = 16 The Light Show 3:47

22. Barnstorming 4:26 = 17 Barnstorming 4:31

23. The Mothership 4:34 = 18 The Mothership 4:35

24. Wild Signals 4:13 = 19 The Dialogue 4:28

25. The Returnees 3:46 = 20 The Returnees 3:58

26. The Visitors / Bye / End Titles: The Special Edition 12:33 = 21 The Appearance of the Visitors + 4:56, 22 Contact 3:22, and 23 End Titles + 4:27

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, hornist said:

How many copies this edition was again? Do I need to hurry?

5000 copies.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Status and tracking are both blank.

Ditto but they must have gotten a whole heap of orders to fulfil as Jay said so it might take some time for this info to update.