Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

What do we make of this?

Bouzereau: I have a lot to say about this… But I’ll summarize it by mentioning that I was filming John conducting a suite from Close Encounters at a private session last year, and we were all in tears.

What is this private session?  Is there a release I'm forgetting about?  Do you think the LLL includes something actually newly recorded?

It was probably at the same UCLA sessions as the S/W Collaboration Part III recordings?

Am I going to delete all of this when someone points out something I forgot about?  Probably.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I assume it's the same suite as on the first volume, but still.  I'd like to hear it.

That would be a good reason for why they'd end up not including it in the release, but why would they record it in the first place? None of the three albums repeats a piece from the others. Perhaps Williams recorded some different material from it this time?

Maybe they plan to do another recording for a 4th album in the near future and include the CE3K Suite....? 

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What do we make of this?

What is this private session?  Is there a release I'm forgetting about?  Do you think the LLL includes something actually newly recorded?

It was probably at the same UCLA sessions as the S/W Collaboration Part III recordings?

Am I going to delete all of this when someone points out something I forgot about?  Probably.

That would be nice! Also when Varese label reissued THE OMEN on its anniversary they tagged a newly recorded suite as a bonus. So why not? 

Matessino previously said that for this release, they wanted to try something a bit different than the usual chronological release, and instead wanted to favour the listening experience first and foremost, so that's why the program isn't presented chronologically. But I'm sure the set itself is complete.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I'm pretty confused by the explanation. I don't know the score well enough but it seems like the complete, chronological presentation is split across both discs?

selections not heard on Disc One

This would lead me to believe some of the film score cues are relegated to disc 2.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Matessino previously said that for this release, they wanted to try something a bit different than the usual chronological release, and instead wanted to favour the listening experience first and foremost, so that's why the program isn't presented chronologically. But I'm sure the set itself is complete.

Quite.

Managed to find the Matessino quote in LeBlanc's interview:

We already know your next Williams/Spielberg expanded CD release  – Close Encounters of the Third Kind, coming soon from La-La Land Records.  What can you tell us about this release?

Well, you asked me earlier about chronological assembly and interestingly Close Encounters is one where we’re departing from that a bit, although it will be possible to create one in a playlist. There was a lot of conversation about it because as part of working on the score I also got involved in the work on the film itself for the restoration as well as conversations about doing it in concert, which are still going on. I don’t want to steal any thunder from E.T. but I’m very excited about this one. I’ve taken a bit of a gamble with it assembly-wise, but the Maestro cares a lot about this score and he really liked what I proposed and I hope that the fans will embrace how I approached it. It really is a masterpiece and functions differently from almost any other film score. For that reason I wanted to see if I could free it from the movie a bit and work as a purely musical experience. But I wanted to make sure that listeners could also work with it and personalize it. I liken it to Roy Neary working with the mountainous shape until he feels he gets it “right.”

Last time I listened to the score in chronological form, I found it pretty disjointed. So I'm actually happy to see it's a hybrid 'Matessino/Williams' that prioritized the listening experience while also being complete (for the purists). Great compromise!

I wonder if Titanic coming out now after 20 years is a result of decreased licence fees, having hit the 2 decade age mark? Seems like a lot of expansions come out around that age.

Great! 

I'm not a huge fan of this score, but I will get it. Of course I will! 

Now that we got this and ET out of the way, hopefully LLL will do something about the Oliver Stone movie scores and the Harry Potter scores.

Oh yeah I forgot to add :ola: for this new release!

And I hope there is some guide of how to rearrange this set into C&C order in the liner notes or something or I shall verily faint away.

I'd say they're track 23 and 31 on Disc 2. "Inside" is a pretty telling title.

Five Notes and The Dialogue (Early Version) is probably what I'm most hyped about.

I think Special Edition Credits is Disk 1-23 because it says "contains when you wish Upon the Stars" while the credits on disk 2 doesn't The ending is just not lumped on one big cue like the Collector's Editon

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Are disc 2 tracks 1-24 all main program tracks expect the alternates?

I think we'll soon find out, won't we.

I look forward to delving into this release which will probably be as illuminating musico-dramatically as the LLL E.T. set which made me appreciate the narrative structure of the score even more than I did.

I love the fact that both cds are designed and approached as an 'album' and a fresh listening experience. I cant wait to gobble disc 2 here. I think I've never been as excited about a Williams expansion since the terrific EMPIRE OF THE SUN.

Yeah, that is cool. I didn’t realize at first, but disc 2 will be like an alternate version of the score. Very cool indeed.

I like the focus on the listening experience.

However, I wonder how tracks 25-30 on disc 2 will fit into the narrative/flow? They look like bonus tracks, but still has the end title that succeeds them which is a bit worrying.

So obviously we knew this one was coming so it's not as much of an "OMG GET EXCITED" moment as complete Titanic but I'm really looking forward to this release.

Really fascinating presentation, can't wait to delve in!

That's pretty awesome. Aside from seeing the movie once and having the 10-minute suite and The Dialogue on the Spielberg set, this'll be my first time listening to any of this music, so I love how it'll be a nice presentation, while still allowing the potential for a future C&C arrangement when I get into it more, as long as we'll have a guide in the booklet (or here).

1 hour ago, azahid said:

So I hope we will have a new Matessino Interview via Jay after the set is released.

No this year, I'm afraid. The trend is, if you have substantial JW expanded/remastered releases handled by MM in a year period, then an interview will come november or december of that year covering all of them. That's why we had one in 2015 (Home Alone, Jaws 2, Jaws...) and then only in 2017. Which is why the 2016 JP release (the only MM expasion from that year, if my memory serves me correctly) was covered this year only, as a Jay probably knew we were gonna have substantial MM expasions in 2017, so it was eaiser to cover all of them in one interview.

But hey, CE3K was meant to be a 2LP set back in '77??? Damn you Arista Records for screwing this up!