Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

Well, isn't this glorious! And yay for Eleventh Commandment! ;)

At first glance, everything seems complete and accounted for. While I can't seem to locate the low, sustained strings cue when Roy sees Devil's Tower in his shaving cream, it may well be part of a longer unused cue, among many on disc 2. It will be a real treat hearing all the cues that were supposedly not recorded, according to Bill Wrobel's analysis

I'll certainly get to work on the chronological assembly!

12 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

At first glance, everything seems complete and accounted for. 

Everything is, unless you care about the disco track.

While I can't seem to locate the low, sustained strings cue when, it may well be part of a longer unused cue, among many on disc 2. 

When what? What music are you talking about?

It  will be a real treat hearing all the cues that were supposedly not recorded, according to Bill Wrobel's analysis

I think he just assumed they weren't recorded, because they weren't released anywhere until now. It is so fantastic that they were!

I'll certainly get to work on the chronological assembly!

No reason to worry about that, one will be posted at some point, the program as released should be enjoyed first!

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

While I can't seem to locate the low, sustained strings cue when Roy sees Devil's Tower in his shaving cream, it may well be part of a longer unused cue, among many on disc 2.

Looking at a cue list I have, i'd say it's "Vision Takes Shape".

By the way, here's the cue list (and I'm not sure/don't think it's complete):

image.png

18 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Looking at a cue list I have, i'd say it's "Vision Takes Shape".

Er...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's Another Vision on disc 2.

That's the thing. On the Lacombe bootleg, "The Pillow" and the original version of "The Shaving Cream Mountain" were included but not used, and yet the version used in the film was not released. I'll take Jay's word that the film version appears on this new set as "Another Vision"; hopefully all three cues are included

2 hours ago, Jay said:

All the cue combinations on disc one were how Williams wanted the music presented back in 1977 for his planned 2LP set and really improve the listening experience by replacing abrupt endings with segues to music that fits perfectly in tone.

And to those who aren't aware of it, I'd like to add that JW's '77 2LP program has had the End Titles replaced by the updated End Titles recorded for Spielberg's '80 Special Edition (Disc 1, track 23).

That isn't right. The End Credits were recorded for the original film in 1977, just replaced there at the last minute.

I'll repost this post I made earlier this year:

On 9/7/2017 at 3:57 PM, Jay said:

The end credits cue on the 1998 CD is the only version of the End Credits Williams wrote. When the film was about to be released, Spielberg replaced part of the cue with tracked music in the finished film. This tracking was replicated for the OST album for whatever reason as well. 

For the 1980 Special Edition of the film, he reverted back to Williams' intentions. But then inexplicably, the 1998 cut of the film reverted back to the 1977 tracked edit again, even though the concurrent CD release was premiering the intended cue.  

And the ending of The Appearance of the Visitors (Contact), too.

Not only is it a jarring and bad edit in the film, but its a shame it was replicated on the 1LP OST album, since track 1 already contained TV Reveals and Roy and Jillian on the Road, AND the bad analogue edit is even more apparent when listening cleanly and not watching the film

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That isn't right. The End Credits were recorded for the original film, just replaced at the last minute.

I'll repost this post I made earlier this year:

Ah, you're probably right. But didn't JW record new music for Inside (the mothership), disc 2 track 23?

Yes - the inside the mothership scene didn't exist until the film's special edition was greenlit, so Williams recorded that music in 1980.  But the full end credits piece was recorded in 1977 along with the rest of the score.  It's just that no one got to hear it until the 1980 cut of the film because Spielberg replaced it with tracked music at the last minute in the original film and that tracking was also issued on the final OST.

Well, I guess it's not that obvious that Inside was recorded for the SE since it could also have been an unused cue, tracked into that scene in the SE. But besserwisser gotta besserwiss... ;)

Anyways, I knew JW recorded additional music containing When you Wish Upon a Star for the SE. I thought it was both Inside and the End Titles, but apparently the latter was already recorded. Were any other cues recorded for the SE?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I also want to say that I love that the cover art hearkens back to the original OST cover instead of featuring the mothership.

I'm a little bit disapointed by the cover actually.  It's too near from the previous covers we saw.

But well, it really doesn't matter!

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, i saw that afterwards but how are you sure?

Pretty clear from his above posts that’s Jay has heard the assembly.  Guess he’s earned a spot in the booklet thanks for himself again - while again mstrox goes UNRECOGNIZED

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Pretty clear from his above posts that’s Jay has heard the assembly.  Guess he’s earned a spot in the booklet thanks for himself again - while again mstrox goes UNRECOGNIZED

Start sending Matessino baked goodies that will hold up to shipping.  You’ll make it in!

I remember not being too impressed with the Arista CE back in the day. I’d previously only came in contact with the end credits and the occasional suite, so this was my first “close encounter”, so to speak.

Then I bought the SACD a few years back (or was it last year?) hoping that the OST sequencing would be a revalation, me being that kinda guy. But no, except for a scarce stand out moments, I still found it hard to digest.

And now I find myself hopeful again, hoping that this new assembly will be a case of “third time’s the charm”.

But logically, I think this score and me are simply not just on the same page.

Still, one hopes. Such a fool am I...

Really pumped for this. It represents a pinnacle of Williams' achievements in terms of film music composition. It's not that I listen to it very often but whenever I do it's just pure magic. Few things in this area match the sheer power and beauty of this score's third act. This is what a perfect s-f score sounds like to me.

As for the album, I'll probably arrange the listening experience into chronological as my preferred version and will create additional two playlists featuring two discs as they are presented. That way I can have three different versions to choose from.

I hope the album's booklet will feature a guide as to how to arrange the tracks into proper order.

Karol

Absolutely thrilled, and looking forward to the first appearance of Inside (kind of coming full circle to when one of my earliest purchases was a new record called Pops in Space, which included the SE material). The crossover arrangement of the theme will be missed - Meco's was disco, JW's much better one was closer to jazz funk - but it sounds fine on Audio Fidelity's 2015 release and I can see how it wasn't necessary here. I'm really glad the Maestro got to realize his original LP plans... with much better sound and editing. Hands down my fav score, or musical work of any kind, ever.

2 hours ago, fommes said:

Just to be clear: disc one is not the original 2LP album, right? It's just based on it?

The cues are all presented in complete form, not edited down with passages removed like he likes to do on his OSTs.

Just for fun, not for real, it would have been interesting to hear the real "2-LP" mix originally intended by Williams. ;)

Ah... we can't re-write history... Now I'm very happy that the new expansion made by Matessino contains the less edits possible, just "baby" cues joined together, to offer a better listening experience, even if it derogates a little bit from the chronology of the movie.

:up:

3 hours ago, phbart said:

Something odd on disc 2. Track 22 is "The Conversation" and track 23 is "Inside". That's a little fast, I think. Shouldn't there be something like a "Kiss" between?

The Kiss already was in September.

13 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Yeah I kind of dig it. The should put this kind of thought into more expanded editions.

Thank you for saying that. I do think it's ultimately Paramount that catalog releases are complete, but frankly if re-ordering some music improves the listening experience I'm all for it. As long as those who want stock chronology can make it happen easily.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I also want to say that I love that the cover art hearkens back to the original OST cover instead of featuring the mothership.

Totally agreed!  I wouldn't have been surprised at all if the cover matched the 40th anniversary rerelease poster, but not m glad it didn't!

13 hours ago, phbart said:

CE3K was meant to be a 2LP set back in '77??? Damn you Arista Records for screwing this up!

I actually don't know what caused the album to go from two LPs to one, but it would be great if that can be revealed somewhere somehow!

I really don't get it. Instructions how to create the chronological complete score would be helpful. Could it be that?

1.       1 Main Title and The Vision •• 1:29

2.       2 Navy Planes 2:15

3.       3 Lost Squadron 2:34

4.       4 Trucking 2:09

5.       5 Into the Tunnel and Chasing UFOs 3:56

6.       2 Roy’s First Encounter 2:44

7.       6 Crescendo Summit 1:25

8.       6 Vision Takes Shape • :42

9.       7 Another Vision • :42

10.   7 False Alarm and The Helicopter 4:20

11.   8 Barry’s Kidnapping 6:22

12.   12 The Cover-up and Base Camp 3:56

13.   9 Forming the Mountain 1:58

14.   10 TV Reveals / Across Country 2:53

15.   11 The Mountain 3:36

16.   16 Who Are You People? 1:38

17.   13 The Escape 2:20

18.   14 Climbing the Mountain 2:36

19.   15 Outstretched Hands 2:50

20.   16 The Light Show 3:47

21.   20 The Approach • 4:32

22.   17 Barnstorming 4:31

23.   18 The Mothership 4:35

24.   19 The Dialogue 4:28

25.   20 The Returnees 3:58

26.   21 The Appearance of the Visitors + 4:56

27.   23 Inside •+ 2:34

28.   22 Contact 3:22

29.   23 End Titles + 4:27

Then there are still loads of other tracks and I'm surprised about so many unreleased-dots behind them. There are so many extras!

1 Main Title •• 1:18
3 Encounter at Crescendo Summit 1:25
4 Chasing UFOs 1:22
5 Watching the Skies • 1:20
8 False Alarm 1:45
9 The Abduction of Barry 4:36
10 The Cover-up 2:31
11 TV Reveals 1:52
12 Roy and Jillian on the Road 1:20
13 I Can’t Believe It’s Real 3:25
14 Across the Fields 1:20
15 Stars and Trucks :49
17 The Escape (Alternate) 2:41
18 Climbing Devils Tower 2:11
19 Dark Side of the Moon • 1:34
21 Night Siege 6:27
22 The Conversation 2:23
24 Contact (Alternate) • 2:51
25 Eleventh Commandment • 2:00
26 TV Western • 1:06
27 Lava Flow • 1:47

28 The Five Tones • 2:25
29 Advance Scout Greeting • 2:58
30 The Dialogue (Early Version) • 3:12
31 Resolution and End Title 6:55

Looking forward to find out what this all is.

No, that isn't right, lots of mistakes there. Just wait / be willing to give the presented program a try before worrying about it.

One thing is for certain. Comparing the track times between the Collector's Edition CD and this new release, it appears that the CE either used different, shorter takes or had microedits for some cues

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Thank you for saying that. I do think it's ultimately Paramount that catalog releases are complete, but frankly if re-ordering some music improves the listening experience I'm all for it. As long as those who want stock chronology can make it happen easily.

So the combined cues on the new set won't prevent C&C edit if one chooses to compile it? Or would this require any editing or rather just rearranging the tracks on the new set?

59 minutes ago, Incanus said:

So the combined cues on the new set won't prevent C&C edit if one chooses to compile it? Or would this require any editing or rather just rearranging the tracks on the new set?

I think it is just a matter of rearranging tracks. :)

Karol