Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hornist said:

I finally got this. It didn't take more than a month. 16,50$:lol:

My copy had arrived while I was on my Christmas holiday. It was a nice little additional Christmas present to enjoy last weekend. :) 

On 01/01/2018 at 6:17 PM, azahid said:

So  here is my CE3K Geek binging moment!

CE3K2.jpg

No Alhambra release? No vinyl release with the free one-sided single? No standalone single release with picture sleeve? No POPS IN SPACE, with the first available recording of INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP?

azahid, my friend, you're slipping :)

• 1 year later...

This set is also one of Titus' best works - instead of spoiling it all on th efront cover like many other releases, it's all dark and suggestive with nothing more than the original poster's reworking and Devil's Tower on the outside, and Roy when you open it. It's only once you've listened to the main presentation on Disc 1, gone through the story and reached enlightenment with it that you flip the middle over and see the Mothership on Disc 2, and a bright white image with the aliens in the back tray.

On 1/4/2018 at 5:36 PM, Richard said:

No Alhambra release? No vinyl release with the free one-sided single? No standalone single release with picture sleeve? No POPS IN SPACE, with the first available recording of INSIDE THE MOTHERSHIP?

azahid, my friend, you're slipping :)

LOL just saw your post One year later. I have BY REQUEST... cd which does have the suite but I should have put the RCA Red Label edition of the Gerhardt suite. I will update with the New CE3K LP set when it comes out from LLL. I'm dying to have that set. Yeah! 

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Amazing release. I hope it actually sold all the copies and it wasn't about not being able to press the remaining units (like Elfman's POTA, for example).

Karol

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Amazing release. I hope it actually sold all the copies and it wasn't about not being able to press the remaining units (like Elfman's POTA, for example).

Karol

That seems to be the case, which is bizarre for such a high profile Williams expansion.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but “out of print” means they decided to stop pressing more copies, and “sold out” means they sold through all copies they were licensed to print. 

32 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That seems to be the case, which is bizarre for such a high profile Williams expansion.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but “out of print” means they decided to stop pressing more copies, and “sold out” means they sold through all copies they were licensed to print. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18835-john-williams-scores-by-specialty-label-previously-low-quantity-alerts/&do=findComment&comment=1715841

I took LLL's notice to mean they were about to sell all 5,000 copies, not anything else.  Dunno why so many are confused by it all.

2.5 years seems about right for 5,000 copies of this score. It's a fantastic release and hardly some obscure movie from Spielberg's catalog.

E.T. sold out even faster and that was released 2 months prior.

The thing with these titles, expanded releases etc. is that the people who want them are going to jump on it right away. It's sad when they go out of print, but you have to imagine everyone who wanted it, got it in the two and half years it was in stock. 

The only people missing out are future generations who will have to pay the exorbitant ebay prices for a copy.  

On 17/05/2020 at 12:45 AM, Jay said:

I took LLL's notice to mean they were about to sell all 5,000 copies, not anything else.  Dunno why so many are confused by it all.

Only because in that last update from LLL stated:

And snag any of these about-to-go-OUT-OF-PRINT titles while we still have them. Quantities are very limited on the following, ALL ARE LESS THAN 100 UNITS REMAINING and once they are gone, they will no longer be available...

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (2-CD SET), HOME ALONE 2 (2-CD SET), MAGIC, ROSEWOOD (2-CD SET), X-FILES VOL. 2 (4-CD SET), SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW, SUM OF ALL FEARS (2-CD SET), GIANT (2-CD SET), THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, BAD GIRLS, 3:10 TO YUMA, ORDINARY PEOPLE/SAVE THE TIGER, SPEED, THE STEPFORD WIVES, FIRST LOVE, RESTLESS and SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY.

And I bet many of these titles didn't sell out.

Karol

Has anyone done a film edit of this at all? I'm trying to work out which tracks need to be trimmed for a Special Edition version

On 5/17/2020 at 7:54 AM, Arpy said:

The thing with these titles, expanded releases etc. is that the people who want them are going to jump on it right away. It's sad when they go out of print, but you have to imagine everyone who wanted it, got it in the two and half years it was in stock. 

The only people missing out are future generations who will have to pay the exorbitant ebay prices for a copy.  

yeah, it suck for people that become real John Williams fans  2 years from now. They'll miss a decade of expanded releases

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

yeah, it suck for people that become real John Williams fans  2 years from now. They'll miss a decade of expanded releases

As long as the CD production in that niche interest doesn't extinct, there is no reason to believe that there won't be reissues of those limited editions every once in a while.

No reason why these couldn't re-appear as digital releases. And since they tend to be restored in an even higher resolution than CD's I wouldn't be against such development... As much as I love my album on the shelf I also realise they are downgrades from those files. Can you imagine a streaming/download version of our beloved labels where you could pay a monthly fee and get access to an entire library? I do realise it might not be legally possible right now but perhaps somewhere down the line? We can dream anyway. :)

Karol

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

They can check eBay. $300 per unit.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

No reason why these couldn't re-appear as digital releases. And since they tend to be restored in an even higher resolution than CD's I wouldn't be against such development... As much as I love my album on the shelf I also realise they are downgrades from those files. Can you imagine a streaming/download version of our beloved labels where you could pay a monthly fee and get access to an entire library? I do realise it might not be legally possible right now but perhaps somewhere down the line? We can dream anyway. :)

Karol

A subscription service for labels like LLL and Intrada is something I'd take up without a second thought! Here's hoping for the future :)

Still love CD and will continue to collect them as long as I can but like you, it doesn't escape me that there's the potential for higher quality out there. Whether it actually makes a great deal of noticeable difference is, I think, still up for debate 😂

32 minutes ago, rough cut said:

It sold out twice as fast as one would have expected because half the people here bought two copies.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

32 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Hey! That’s my line!

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This higher-quality shit is a pure matter of numbers fooling some people to think they mean better sound, but this trend has nothing to do with sound.

That may be true but why not offer the consumer product in highest possible quality? It doesn't seem to cost any more to "manufacture".

Karol